“Pleasant, but far from perfect” 4 of 5 stars

Drive in, Stay Late Offer
Ranked #1 of 189 hotels in Atlanta
GreenLeadersBronze level
Florida
“Pleasant, but far from perfect”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Mandarin Oriental for a zero-effort weekend getaway and early birthday celebration for him. We received a warm welcome from the hotel staff. When we were shown to our room, I noticed a very obvious tear and some stains on the duvet cover, so I asked the gentleman (Cortez was wonderful) helping us with our luggage to facilitate getting it replaced. After he left, we noticed that the lightswitch cover for the front lights was on the floor, so we left it out for the staff to see when they came to replace the duvet. We went to lunch in the hotel's cafe; we had to wait a while before anyone greeted us, but once we were seated the service and food were very good. We went back to our room to see that the duvet had not been changed yet and discovered we had only been given one pair of slippers, so I called the front desk to report. They said they would send someone right up. We waited a little while; maintenance staff came to fix the lightswitch cover but no one from housekeeping came and my husband said he wanted to rest. So I put the privacy light on and went downstairs to tell the front desk not to disturb him. I went and enjoyed some time in the jacuzzi spa and pool and showered in the women's locker room...this was a very nice amenity, although it would be nice to have the option for a co-ed jacuzzi. I went back to the room and found out that housekeeping had called while my husband was napping. We went downstairs to find out our options for dinner. We really didn't want to drive anywhere because traffic was crazy as the playoff game for the Super Bowl was being held in Atlanta the next day. The concierge was not very knowledgeable about restaurants in Buckhead. She was more familiar with places in MidTown and kept suggesting that we go there although it would mean us having to drive versus take the hotel's car. I told her that we would be dressed casually, and we decided on a place. When we got back to the room, there were 3 people from housekeeping inspecting our bed; they had been told that there was a rip in the bed but couldn't find it. I conveyed again that the tear was on the duvet, and they replaced it. We went back downstairs to go to dinner, and when we told the bellhop where we were going, he was kind of mortified. It seems we had a misunderstanding with the concierge about what we meant by casual. The hotel driver was also hesitant to take us where the concierge had suggested, and he made some suggestions, specifically stressing one place that was out of the hotel car's distance limit...he could take us there but would probably not be able to pick us up. We decided to just go to a place nearby where we could get quick service but was nothing special....which was a a big disappointment to me. When we got back to the hotel, our room had been serviced with a lovely turndown service plus a bottle of wine and truffles for my husband's birthday. That was a really nice touch. We spent a restful night...thank goodness! The next day, the coffee we had ordered for room service came....with only one cup and saucer. Then, the toilet clogged and the bathtub wouldn't drain, so we had to call maintenance again. It got to the point where I had to think the problems were kind of comical; the other option was to get really angry and ruin our whole stay. For our troubles, we were given complimentary breakfast in the hotel's cafe and our morning coffee was taken care of. Despite all of our problems, I have to say that the hotel staff was lovely. They responded quickly (the duvet being the exception) to our calls, and we were treated very nicely throughout our stay. I just wish we didn't have to call on the staff for so many things. The hotel itself is very nice. My husband and I will be planning another trip to Atlanta in a few weeks, but I think we're going to head to MidTown instead of Buckhead. I think our experience at the Mandarin Oriental was probably not how stays there usually go, but I'd rather not risk a repeat. PS>If this is read by hotel staff, please tell Cortez how sorry we are that the Patriots lost their playoff game.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Robert L, General Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Atlanta, responded to this review, January 25, 2013
I have read your review and as you might guess, I am disappointed to learn about your experience with us. I would very much like to discuss it further with you. If this is acceptable, please contact me at the hotel, 404-995-7500. We very much want you to return to experience the true Mandarin Oriental, Atlanta hotel that we are so proud of.

432 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
Houston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

I took my wife to the Mandarin Oriental to celebrate her birthday. The hotel knew the occasion and went above and beyond to make sure we had a great stay. From the moment we arrived to the moment we departed, we were treated like royalty. No other hotel has the fabulous level of service as a Mandarin. They know what you want before you do. The staff and management made my wife feel so very special. Thank you Robert, Roberto, Florien, Dalton, Arianna, Gretchen, and all the rest that are too many to mention. We had a great room, extremely fine dining, a magnificent spa and terrific entertainment in the Taipan Lounge. At our birthday feast in The Cafe my wife mentioned that as she was in Atlanta she was in the mood for peaches. None were on the menu. The Chef heard and whipped up a peach cobbler for her. She was thrilled. When in Atlanta we will never even think about staying anywhere else. How can you improve upon perfection?

Room Tip: Get a Mandarin Suite if you can.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Robert L, General Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Atlanta, responded to this review, February 6, 2013
I thoroughly enjoyed reading about you and your wife's wonderful birthday experience with us. Thank you for identifying the colleagues who were especially helpful as they always appreciate the accolades. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon and a belated Happy Birthday from me to your wife.

Regards,
New York City, New York, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

The service was excellent. My second visit to this hotel, and first since it changed hands to the Mandarin Atlanta, and both times I have been blown away by the courtesy and attention from the hotel personnel. The room itself was quite large and the hotel is conveniently located to both the highway and the mall. Buckhead is not the easiest area to walk around as the roads are large and busy and the distance between locations is great, but there are a few restaurants and a coffee shop easily accessible by foot. Otherwise a car is neccessary for getting around, even in the neighborhood.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Robert L, General Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Atlanta, responded to this review, January 11, 2013
Thank you for your review. I do want to point out that we offer a complimentary hotel car and driver to take guests within a 2 mile radius which covers the main Buckhead area of shopping and restaurants. Buckhead has almost completed a total redesign and beautification of the main areas on Peachtree Road to include sidewalks along both sides of Peachtree Road all the way through the central area of Buckhead including our hotel location making for wonderful pedestrian walking.

Your comments about the hotel and staff are truly appreciated and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future. Again, thank you for sharing your experience at Mandarin Oriental, Atlanta with TripAdvisor readers.

Chattanooga, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

A truly exceptional experience for my wife and I. We booked a Mandarin room for a night and instantly decided to stay an extra night. The view of Buckhead was amazing, the bed was luxurious, and the bathroom was something else (Marble everywhere, plenty of room, a huge shower, and a deep soaking tub with its own great view). Concerning the service: top notch. We always felt very welcome. Someone was always available and ready to help in any way.

We also tried the spa, which I have to highly recommend. It was a relaxing experience from start to finish and was much more than just a great massage. The changing rooms are packed with any toiletry you could need. Just adjacent, a plush waiting room for until your appointment. The massage itself was beyond compare: the best I've ever had, complete with a wonderful blend of oils that will leave you physically and mentally soothed. Finally, there's a whole compliment of other ammenties: a hot tub, a sauna, a dry sauna, and showers. It was a not-to-be-missed experience.

Finally, we had breakfast (each morning) and dinner (our second night) at the hotel. Each meal was great. I would have to highly recommend the tempura Ahi tuna appetizer, and my wife would recommend the lobster bisque. And again, the service was exceptional.

If you're looking for the best in Atlanta, this is the place.

PS: The hotel is also well within walking distance of the best shopping in Atlanta, if that's your thing!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Your fantastic review of your visit to Mandarin Oriental, Atlanta has made my day today! Our mission is to provide our guests with the ultimate unforgettable hotel experience in terms of service and luxury and knowing that we have acheived that purpose is what makes our colleagues so excited and delighted to be of service. Your comments are very much appreciated and we thank you for sharing them with TripAdvisor readers.

chicago
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

Enjoyed a recent stay at the Mandarin Atlanta. The hotel location was great as it is within walking distance to great shopping, dining and the Marta station with trains to multiple locations including a direct line to the airport. Although close to lots of places, appreciated the hotel car service when it rained. Asthetically, the hotel is beautiful, nicely appointed and made for not only a productive meeting but a relaxing stay during our downtime. As someone who travel alot, I really liked the on screen TV guide that I don't find at many other hotels.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you very much for your wonderful review. We are always delighted to have business groups in the hotel and to know that we were able to meet and exceed their expectations. We look forward to having you back in the future.

Again, many thanks.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012

This was my first time that i was staying at the Mandarin Oriental - usually stay at the Ritz Carlton in Buckhead. After having tried this will definitely stick with the the Ritz.

The Mandarin lobby is fairly small - does not give the impression of a grand hotel. Surprising and disappointing - the restaurant and bar are the same and is this very narrow space. The staff at the bar was very helpful and service was good. However this small and narrow restaurant and bar for a five star hotel is very odd and inconsistent with five star standards.

Check in experience was average - not the effusive welcome you get at top luxury hotels and no explanation of the facilities or amenities.

Rooms are large, bed was good. Bathroom was fabulous and the quality of the towels and bathroom supplies were top notch.

Ordered room service breakfast. Egg omelet and coffee were both average. Nothing on the sides - usually hotels of this type will include toast, butter, jelly, some form of potatoes etc. This was simply the omelet and coffee - that is it. And the bill was $42!

I would like to try a different Mandarin and experience the luxury and service that they are famous for. Unfortunately Atlanta Mandarin is not the place for it.

Room Tip: Higher floor corner rooms
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Robert L, General Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Atlanta, responded to this review, December 12, 2012
I have ready your review and am hopeful that you will reconsider and give us another chance. since taking over the management of the hotel in May of this year, we have been making many exciting changes and additions to the hotel and some are still being implemented. I am sorry about disappointing you and truly believe that if you will return again, you will not be disappointed.

Thank you for your comments.

Sincerely

New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

Nothing about my stay at the MO went smoothly. From checking in to breakfast to a request for a humidifier, each interaction I had with hotel staff was met with bewilderment. They couldn't find my reservation when I arrived. They didn't seem to have any familiarity with the American Express Fine Hotel and Resort package that I had booked—and although I showed them my confirmation email and explained, I wasn't given any of the package benefits. When I checked out they still didn't understand that I had booked a package--when they finally did, all they did was partially remove the charges for my breakfasts. This all took a long time and a follow up phone call.

I imagine the running of this hotel will be smoothed out over the next year, but right now it's a mess that takes time and money and doesn't deliver a pleasant experience. Normally I stay at the Four Seasons which is dated, but the service (and breakfast) there is very good. I wish there were an excellent hotel in Atlanta that I got excited about, but it seems like a city full of inexpensive, bland conference hotels. The MO delivers McMansion trappings but nothing substantially luxurious.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
As you might imagine, I was extremely disappointed to learn about the issues you described in your review. Your experience does not exemplify the level of service for which we are known and I am looking into the issues to determine the causes so that we can use this as an example for our colleagues to learn from. I hope that you might agree to give us another opportunity to show you that we truly can do it right. I feel certain that you would agree.

Thank you for your feedback and I do apologize that we failed to provide the ultimate experience you deserve.

Robert Lowe, General Manager

Been to Mandarin Oriental, Atlanta? Share your experiences!