“Very good hotel but definitely did not feel like a five star property” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Mandarin Oriental, Atlanta

Special Offer
Drive in, Stay Late Offer
Ranked #1 of 188 Hotels in Atlanta
GreenLeadersBronze level
“Very good hotel but definitely did not feel like a five star property”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012

This was my first time that i was staying at the Mandarin Oriental - usually stay at the Ritz Carlton in Buckhead. After having tried this will definitely stick with the the Ritz.

The Mandarin lobby is fairly small - does not give the impression of a grand hotel. Surprising and disappointing - the restaurant and bar are the same and is this very narrow space. The staff at the bar was very helpful and service was good. However this small and narrow restaurant and bar for a five star hotel is very odd and inconsistent with five star standards.

Check in experience was average - not the effusive welcome you get at top luxury hotels and no explanation of the facilities or amenities.

Rooms are large, bed was good. Bathroom was fabulous and the quality of the towels and bathroom supplies were top notch.

Ordered room service breakfast. Egg omelet and coffee were both average. Nothing on the sides - usually hotels of this type will include toast, butter, jelly, some form of potatoes etc. This was simply the omelet and coffee - that is it. And the bill was $42!

I would like to try a different Mandarin and experience the luxury and service that they are famous for. Unfortunately Atlanta Mandarin is not the place for it.

Room Tip: Higher floor corner rooms
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Robert L, General Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Atlanta, responded to this review, December 12, 2012
I have ready your review and am hopeful that you will reconsider and give us another chance. since taking over the management of the hotel in May of this year, we have been making many exciting changes and additions to the hotel and some are still being implemented. I am sorry about disappointing you and truly believe that if you will return again, you will not be disappointed.

Thank you for your comments.

Sincerely

Robert Lowe, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

Nothing about my stay at the MO went smoothly. From checking in to breakfast to a request for a humidifier, each interaction I had with hotel staff was met with bewilderment. They couldn't find my reservation when I arrived. They didn't seem to have any familiarity with the American Express Fine Hotel and Resort package that I had booked—and although I showed them my confirmation email and explained, I wasn't given any of the package benefits. When I checked out they still didn't understand that I had booked a package--when they finally did, all they did was partially remove the charges for my breakfasts. This all took a long time and a follow up phone call.

I imagine the running of this hotel will be smoothed out over the next year, but right now it's a mess that takes time and money and doesn't deliver a pleasant experience. Normally I stay at the Four Seasons which is dated, but the service (and breakfast) there is very good. I wish there were an excellent hotel in Atlanta that I got excited about, but it seems like a city full of inexpensive, bland conference hotels. The MO delivers McMansion trappings but nothing substantially luxurious.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
As you might imagine, I was extremely disappointed to learn about the issues you described in your review. Your experience does not exemplify the level of service for which we are known and I am looking into the issues to determine the causes so that we can use this as an example for our colleagues to learn from. I hope that you might agree to give us another opportunity to show you that we truly can do it right. I feel certain that you would agree.

Thank you for your feedback and I do apologize that we failed to provide the ultimate experience you deserve.

Hertford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

We stayed at this hotel for two nights whilst on business. I have always wanted to stay in a mandarin oriental hotel but there has never been one where i have visited so i jumped at the hance to stay here. This is not a cheap hotel or indeed hotel chain. $ 640 bed/ breakfast per night. And whether it has been rated or not yet is a five star hotel. Firstly the good points, the hotel is fabulously appointed. The rooms are lovely, bathrooms fab with loads of towels and exquisite bathrobes, lovely sheets but the bed is a tad too hard and i sleep on a firm mattress at home. I agree with other reviewers who mentioned that the tv is not easily viewed. However the rooms are sumptuous.
The hotel is quite odd. The common places are not large enough for a hotel this size. There is no large lounge and no separate restaurant and bar, they are one. A strange thing for a five star hotel. Moreover the restaurant bar is about 15 ft wide x 100ft long with the bar area in the middle. There is no maitre d' in the restaurant so you find yourself stepping in to the restaurant to announce yourself and standing right next to diners as the restaurant is so narrow. The night we went there was only one waitress so tables were not cleared from previous diners. Not what you would expect from a restaurant in a five star hotel. Miki the waitress deserves a special mention because she was totally professional and kept her cool. 40 covers on her own. The manager finally mucked in and started clearing the tables and helping her only when we complained about the state of the.
restaurant. He was clearly not happy at having to do this. The food however was fabulous my scallop starter something like you would get in a gordon ramsay restaurant and my steak cooked to medium perfection.
There are some things which are the norm in this hotel which would not happen in other 5 star establishments. Such as when you are checking in to the hotel you are presented with a $20 voucher for breakfast. Why? Whats wrong with the hotel computer? It should know you are on a b/ b tarrif. In fact it did when we looked at the bill and wondered why we were ever given a voucher in the first place. Also in an establishment that charges over $600. for their basic room. You are usually shown to the room by someone explaining on the way all the facilities and how the room works. For instance i didnt even realise the hotel had a pool and spa, no one told me. No one told me there was a courtesy car driven by a very pleasant bruce who was a delight. I found out when i went out for a taxi.
It seems to me that there are a few management issues which need to be tightened up. To deliver a proper five star experience. As well as making more space available as common areas.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Robert L, General Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Atlanta, responded to this review, November 29, 2012
I have just read your review and can assure you that your experience is not the norm. We are addressing each of the issues and I feel certain that on your next visit, you will see dramatic improvements. I apologize that you had these concerns and assure that we are correcting them. Please return soon.

Beverly Hills, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012 via mobile

It's very difficult for me to give a 5 star rating a hotel that doesn't have a view of a beautiful skyline, landscape or a beach so sorry Mandarin, but aside from my requirements this tole is fantastic. Great location, beautiful modern rooms, nice staff, and great restaurants and bar. Gym is a bit lacking, and disappointing, but you can still get a decent workout in. I'd stay again if I ever visit Atlanta again.

Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Robert L, General Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Atlanta, responded to this review, November 27, 2012
We appreciate your feedback and are looking forward to welcoming you back! Thank you.

High Point, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012 via mobile

Our stay was okay. We booked a premier suite for two nights at a rate of $650 per night, and I must say that the service and facilities did not justify the price. We arrived at the hotel around 5:00pm on a Friday afternoon and were informed that our room wasn't ready. Check in is at 3:00pm. I expressed my displeasure but the guy at the front desk did not seem very concerned. I received a call from the manager, but was disappointed the manager did not address this a check-in. When we our room was ready, a bellman escorted us up and assisted with our luggage. These guys are the jewel of the hotel. Very helpful. Room was nice, had a living room, bathroom, bedroom, and two balconies. The rooms don't blow you away, but aren't noticeably flawed either. Not a five star room.

We spent very little time at the hotel, so I can't speak to the hotel's activities. We did order breakfast from room service for two people and spent $72 on eggs and pancakes, which was a ripoff.

In conclusion, I'm headed to ATL next week and will not be returning to this hotel. There are much better places in town at the current prices.

I'm aware this isn't a detailed or dynamic review, but there's not much to write about...

• Stayed November 2012
Robert L, Director of Rooms at Mandarin Oriental, Atlanta, responded to this review, November 27, 2012
I have read your review and would like to speak with you personally about what occurred. Please contact me at rmarchetto@mohg.com. I look forward to hopefully hearing from you.

Roberto Marchetto, Director of Rooms
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

The hotel is unique to the Atlanta area - which is excellent - since it reflects the individuality of the property in a crowded hotel environment. The hotel has chosen to incorporate the southern charm and hospitality that so many other "luxury" hotels seem to lack in Atlanta. That attention to the sensitivity of the environment, in which it resides, takes into account the exclusive attributes of the culture in the Atlanta area. This provides a hotel staff that is courteous, attentive and genuinely gracious that you are their guest. I found that to be refreshing and non-stressful during my visit. This provides a quintessential luxury hotel experience.

Room Tip: Since you are staying in an actual luxury hotel, choose a room that provides you that unique experie...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for your great critique and especially for the comments regarding the staff. I am very proud of them all and appreciate so much any compliments about them. Again, thank you.

Prairie Village, Kansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

We booked this room for our two-night getaway to ATL based on the TA reviews. The hotel is located in the heart of Buckhead. The service is excellent from the moment you are greated by the valet and doorman. Our check-in was effortless and we enjoyed the greating with cool towels and chilled water. The hotel honored our package and we were quickly shown our beautiful (albeit relatively small) room.

The room's bathroom is beautiful. The bed was very comfortable and the linens and towels were first-class.

We ate breakfast through room-service (which provided excellent and speedy service) and in the restaurant (which small but lovely).

All in all, this is a first-class property that competes nicely against the Ritz-Carlton, the Four Seasons, and the other nice properties in ATL.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Robert L, General Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Atlanta, responded to this review, November 16, 2012
Many thanks for your very excellent review of the hotel. We appreciate you sharing your experience with TripAdvisor and will look forward to your return.

Robert Lowe, General Manager

Been to Mandarin Oriental, Atlanta? Share your experiences!