“Fabulous and yet disappointing.” 4 of 5 stars

Drive in, Stay Late Offer
Ranked #2 of 189 hotels in Atlanta
GreenLeadersBronze level
Hertford, United Kingdom
“Fabulous and yet disappointing.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

We stayed at this hotel for two nights whilst on business. I have always wanted to stay in a mandarin oriental hotel but there has never been one where i have visited so i jumped at the hance to stay here. This is not a cheap hotel or indeed hotel chain. $ 640 bed/ breakfast per night. And whether it has been rated or not yet is a five star hotel. Firstly the good points, the hotel is fabulously appointed. The rooms are lovely, bathrooms fab with loads of towels and exquisite bathrobes, lovely sheets but the bed is a tad too hard and i sleep on a firm mattress at home. I agree with other reviewers who mentioned that the tv is not easily viewed. However the rooms are sumptuous.
The hotel is quite odd. The common places are not large enough for a hotel this size. There is no large lounge and no separate restaurant and bar, they are one. A strange thing for a five star hotel. Moreover the restaurant bar is about 15 ft wide x 100ft long with the bar area in the middle. There is no maitre d' in the restaurant so you find yourself stepping in to the restaurant to announce yourself and standing right next to diners as the restaurant is so narrow. The night we went there was only one waitress so tables were not cleared from previous diners. Not what you would expect from a restaurant in a five star hotel. Miki the waitress deserves a special mention because she was totally professional and kept her cool. 40 covers on her own. The manager finally mucked in and started clearing the tables and helping her only when we complained about the state of the.
restaurant. He was clearly not happy at having to do this. The food however was fabulous my scallop starter something like you would get in a gordon ramsay restaurant and my steak cooked to medium perfection.
There are some things which are the norm in this hotel which would not happen in other 5 star establishments. Such as when you are checking in to the hotel you are presented with a $20 voucher for breakfast. Why? Whats wrong with the hotel computer? It should know you are on a b/ b tarrif. In fact it did when we looked at the bill and wondered why we were ever given a voucher in the first place. Also in an establishment that charges over $600. for their basic room. You are usually shown to the room by someone explaining on the way all the facilities and how the room works. For instance i didnt even realise the hotel had a pool and spa, no one told me. No one told me there was a courtesy car driven by a very pleasant bruce who was a delight. I found out when i went out for a taxi.
It seems to me that there are a few management issues which need to be tightened up. To deliver a proper five star experience. As well as making more space available as common areas.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Robert L, General Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Atlanta, responded to this review, November 29, 2012
I have just read your review and can assure you that your experience is not the norm. We are addressing each of the issues and I feel certain that on your next visit, you will see dramatic improvements. I apologize that you had these concerns and assure that we are correcting them. Please return soon.

394 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
Beverly Hills, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012 via mobile

It's very difficult for me to give a 5 star rating a hotel that doesn't have a view of a beautiful skyline, landscape or a beach so sorry Mandarin, but aside from my requirements this tole is fantastic. Great location, beautiful modern rooms, nice staff, and great restaurants and bar. Gym is a bit lacking, and disappointing, but you can still get a decent workout in. I'd stay again if I ever visit Atlanta again.

Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Robert L, General Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Atlanta, responded to this review, November 27, 2012
We appreciate your feedback and are looking forward to welcoming you back! Thank you.

High Point, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012 via mobile

Our stay was okay. We booked a premier suite for two nights at a rate of $650 per night, and I must say that the service and facilities did not justify the price. We arrived at the hotel around 5:00pm on a Friday afternoon and were informed that our room wasn't ready. Check in is at 3:00pm. I expressed my displeasure but the guy at the front desk did not seem very concerned. I received a call from the manager, but was disappointed the manager did not address this a check-in. When we our room was ready, a bellman escorted us up and assisted with our luggage. These guys are the jewel of the hotel. Very helpful. Room was nice, had a living room, bathroom, bedroom, and two balconies. The rooms don't blow you away, but aren't noticeably flawed either. Not a five star room.

We spent very little time at the hotel, so I can't speak to the hotel's activities. We did order breakfast from room service for two people and spent $72 on eggs and pancakes, which was a ripoff.

In conclusion, I'm headed to ATL next week and will not be returning to this hotel. There are much better places in town at the current prices.

I'm aware this isn't a detailed or dynamic review, but there's not much to write about...

• Stayed November 2012
Robert L, Director of Rooms at Mandarin Oriental, Atlanta, responded to this review, November 27, 2012
I have read your review and would like to speak with you personally about what occurred. Please contact me at rmarchetto@mohg.com. I look forward to hopefully hearing from you.

Roberto Marchetto, Director of Rooms
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

The hotel is unique to the Atlanta area - which is excellent - since it reflects the individuality of the property in a crowded hotel environment. The hotel has chosen to incorporate the southern charm and hospitality that so many other "luxury" hotels seem to lack in Atlanta. That attention to the sensitivity of the environment, in which it resides, takes into account the exclusive attributes of the culture in the Atlanta area. This provides a hotel staff that is courteous, attentive and genuinely gracious that you are their guest. I found that to be refreshing and non-stressful during my visit. This provides a quintessential luxury hotel experience.

Room Tip: Since you are staying in an actual luxury hotel, choose a room that provides you that unique experie...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for your great critique and especially for the comments regarding the staff. I am very proud of them all and appreciate so much any compliments about them. Again, thank you.

Prairie Village, Kansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

We booked this room for our two-night getaway to ATL based on the TA reviews. The hotel is located in the heart of Buckhead. The service is excellent from the moment you are greated by the valet and doorman. Our check-in was effortless and we enjoyed the greating with cool towels and chilled water. The hotel honored our package and we were quickly shown our beautiful (albeit relatively small) room.

The room's bathroom is beautiful. The bed was very comfortable and the linens and towels were first-class.

We ate breakfast through room-service (which provided excellent and speedy service) and in the restaurant (which small but lovely).

All in all, this is a first-class property that competes nicely against the Ritz-Carlton, the Four Seasons, and the other nice properties in ATL.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Robert L, General Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Atlanta, responded to this review, November 16, 2012
Many thanks for your very excellent review of the hotel. We appreciate you sharing your experience with TripAdvisor and will look forward to your return.

New Rochelle, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

I was just watching a show on my DVR and instantly recognized the gorgeous hotel and unmistakable driveway where a party was taking place as the Mansion on Peachtree. Yes, it was the RHOA! Don't judge! :) lol! I noticed that the mat at the front door valet area had another name imprinted on it and after a quick rewind, discovered the hotel is now a Mandarin property. Then I remembered that I never wrote a review, so here we are! This year, Valentine's Day was on a Tuesday. On the Friday before, I surprised my fiancé (he lives in Atlanta and I live in NY) by flying in for the weekend for an early celebration. My flight was early, so I arrived at the hotel before noon. As previously requested prior to arrival, I was allowed an early check in without issue or additional expense. The room was awesome. We were up on a high floor with a great view. It was beautifully decorated and the ambiance was very serene. The many separate light switches/dimmers assist a romantic vibe. The beds are really very comfortable and we loved the turn down service. Equally as fantastic, if not more, is the bathroom! Large separate shower, double sinks, TV and a great soaking tub. After sending my fiancé a letter via email and giving him the room number, a leisurely soak in that tub was thoroughly enjoyed while I waited. After his shock subsided and several rounds of "I can't believe you're here" - he arrived and we had one of the best weekends ever. I can't speak of the restaurant service, because we did room service for breakfast every morning (not cheap - about $100.00 for 2 people each day). The food was really good, arrived hot and the staff was courteous. And we also ate dinners out; most notably, McKendrick's Steak House which was phenomenal and needs a separate review! One thing we did notice on our way in and out is that the lobby and bar area were really busy. A lot of people not staying in the hotel come just for events or the bar. But you would never know it from upstairs in the room we were in. It was our own private oasis without intrusion unless we asked for something. Going downstairs was literally like returning to civilization. As long as the Mandarin continues or exceeds the level of service provided, I would look forward to returning. The only weird thing of note is the TV. Although stealthy hidden to look like a pretty painting on the wall, it's positioned off center on a wall to the side; making it awkward to view. In our room, it was off to the left hand side, which made it even more awkward for the person on the right side of the bed. I would suggest mounting the TV on a swivel arm that can be pulled out from behind the picture alcove to adjust the viewing angle. But other than that, I would love to find a reason to stay here again!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
I enjoyed your review and can most certainly assure you that upon your next visit you will experience a level of service and sense of place that will exceed all of your expectations. We have made many changes and additions since assuming management of the hotel in May, 2012 and we hope you will have occasion to join us soon to exeperience them.

Sincerely, Robert Lowe, General Manager
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Our suite was awesome, great view from balcony, Staff was awesome, always friendly and accommodating . Bed was very comfy and seemed quiet above the city. The sushi in the bar was great too. Tons of other great places within walking distance. Can't wait to stay here again!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Robert L, General Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Atlanta, responded to this review, November 8, 2012
Thank you! We can't wait to welcome you back!!!

Robert Lowe, General Manager

Been to Mandarin Oriental, Atlanta? Share your experiences!