“Awesome Weekend of Romance, Relaxation and Great Service” 5 of 5 stars

Daily Dining / Spa Credit
Ranked #1 of 188 Hotels in Atlanta
GreenLeadersBronze level
New Rochelle, New York
“Awesome Weekend of Romance, Relaxation and Great Service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

I was just watching a show on my DVR and instantly recognized the gorgeous hotel and unmistakable driveway where a party was taking place as the Mansion on Peachtree. Yes, it was the RHOA! Don't judge! :) lol! I noticed that the mat at the front door valet area had another name imprinted on it and after a quick rewind, discovered the hotel is now a Mandarin property. Then I remembered that I never wrote a review, so here we are! This year, Valentine's Day was on a Tuesday. On the Friday before, I surprised my fiancé (he lives in Atlanta and I live in NY) by flying in for the weekend for an early celebration. My flight was early, so I arrived at the hotel before noon. As previously requested prior to arrival, I was allowed an early check in without issue or additional expense. The room was awesome. We were up on a high floor with a great view. It was beautifully decorated and the ambiance was very serene. The many separate light switches/dimmers assist a romantic vibe. The beds are really very comfortable and we loved the turn down service. Equally as fantastic, if not more, is the bathroom! Large separate shower, double sinks, TV and a great soaking tub. After sending my fiancé a letter via email and giving him the room number, a leisurely soak in that tub was thoroughly enjoyed while I waited. After his shock subsided and several rounds of "I can't believe you're here" - he arrived and we had one of the best weekends ever. I can't speak of the restaurant service, because we did room service for breakfast every morning (not cheap - about $100.00 for 2 people each day). The food was really good, arrived hot and the staff was courteous. And we also ate dinners out; most notably, McKendrick's Steak House which was phenomenal and needs a separate review! One thing we did notice on our way in and out is that the lobby and bar area were really busy. A lot of people not staying in the hotel come just for events or the bar. But you would never know it from upstairs in the room we were in. It was our own private oasis without intrusion unless we asked for something. Going downstairs was literally like returning to civilization. As long as the Mandarin continues or exceeds the level of service provided, I would look forward to returning. The only weird thing of note is the TV. Although stealthy hidden to look like a pretty painting on the wall, it's positioned off center on a wall to the side; making it awkward to view. In our room, it was off to the left hand side, which made it even more awkward for the person on the right side of the bed. I would suggest mounting the TV on a swivel arm that can be pulled out from behind the picture alcove to adjust the viewing angle. But other than that, I would love to find a reason to stay here again!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Robert L, General Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Atlanta, responded to this review, November 16, 2012
I enjoyed your review and can most certainly assure you that upon your next visit you will experience a level of service and sense of place that will exceed all of your expectations. We have made many changes and additions since assuming management of the hotel in May, 2012 and we hope you will have occasion to join us soon to exeperience them.

Sincerely, Robert Lowe, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Our suite was awesome, great view from balcony, Staff was awesome, always friendly and accommodating . Bed was very comfy and seemed quiet above the city. The sushi in the bar was great too. Tons of other great places within walking distance. Can't wait to stay here again!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Robert L, General Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Atlanta, responded to this review, November 8, 2012
Thank you! We can't wait to welcome you back!!!

Coraopolis, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

I spent 2 nights at Mandarin Oriental in october. The hotel is located in Buckhead, an upscale neighborhood in Atlanta, and the entrance is somehow hidden behind a restaurant. But once you enter the courtyard, you can recongnize the unique features of this place...The building is one of the tallest in the city, but only the first 15 floors are occupied by the hotel. The other floors are private residences. My room was on the 15 th floor, with a wonderful view of the city. The service was excellent, from the way they kept the room clean, to the great breakfast in the restaurant or the signature massage at the spa... overall, a nice experience.

Room Tip: The superior room was smaller, but the bathroom had a good size , quite enough for a short stay.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for your great comments and for sharing your experience with us through TripAdvisor. We look forward to your return soon.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

Checked in to the hotel after flight from London. Quick registration , bell boy efficient and friendly. Room service very good and fast. Breakfast excellent and service friendly and efficient. Front desk ( Whitney) helpful on restaurant bookings and sightseeing suggestions. Bruce the hotel chauffeur courteous and helpful in getting us to Marriot Hertz to pick up hire car. Terrace suite is spacious and innovatively laid out with double balcony views. Only problem with room is not enough space for our clothes. We are in The States for 17 nights so have more than just hand luggage! Three nights to go but very pleased we chose the Mandarin. Gym area good.

Room Tip: Terrace suite for spaciousness and ease.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Robert L, General Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Atlanta, responded to this review, November 6, 2012
Really enjoyed reading your review. Thank you very much for the compliments to our staff and for sharing your experience with TripAdvisor. We look forward to your return.

marlatravelsfar
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012

My husband brought me here for my birthday. It was simply put 5 Star. We have looked and looked for a Fantastic Spa, Beautiful room, and Great Services......this is it! It was luxury, surrounded by perfectly manicured grounds, and a well trained staff. We had the couples reconnect package.....WONDERFUL!! The couples room, was clean, beautiful, and romantic!!! Both of us got up and said, that was the best massage we had ever had! And that is saying something coming from us, we are kinda picky. The room, spa, everything was perfect. We will be back! And we are so glad to have found this place, AND its right in the middle of ATL!! They will even take you to Lenox mall and pick you up so you don't have to fool with the parking issues there. It just could not have been better! HIGHLY RECOMMEND!!

Room Tip: Hubby upgraded to the king suite, corner, it was AMAZING!!! Loved it!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Robert L, General Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Atlanta, responded to this review, October 19, 2012
We genuinely love special occasion guests to our hotel and receiving feedback on their experiences. Thank you for your lovely review and for sharing your pictures with TripAdvisor!

Hilo, Hawaii
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

We've visited many hotels across the states but they all pale in comparison to the Mandarin Oriental Atlanta. As previous reviewers have attested to, from the moment you step into the hotel right up until you are ready to leave, the staff spoils you with detailed attentiveness and it seems that they are all there just to spoil you! We cannot praise the hotel facilities, rooms, food and staff enough.
We took and all night flight and were schedule to arrive in the very early morning at the hotel. The front desk had already pre-checked us in and had our luggage that we pre-sent already in the room! Nothing to sign, no hassle with searching for luggage, no nothing! To say the least we welcomed the service and had a nice rest before exploring Atlanta.

Room Tip: We had a two balcony suite facing North on the tenth floor. It was quiet and devoid of any traffic...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for relaying your experience with us regarding your arrival from a long international flight. We recognize how tireing such flights can be, not to mention the early morning or late evening arrivals, so we do everything we can to make the experience at the hotel as comfortable and flawless as possible. Thank you for confirming to us and TripAdvisor readers that we do achieve that mission. Your input is certainly valuable to us all.

Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

After a disappointing stay at the MO Washington I was a bit nervous about staying at another MO USA property. I love the MO's in Asia and Europe and are generally my pick if they are an option in the city I am heading to.

Well, there was no reason to worry as the MO Atlanta is a fantastic addition to the MO stable. I was warmly welcomed each step of the way (driver at the airport, doorman, reception). I booked a Mandarin King Room and was not disappointed. It is of large size and with lovely modern fittings (see photos). The bathroom is also large and one of the biggest showers I have seen. I did have a noise problem with my first room (there was a party in full swing downstairs and the music could be heard clearly and I was on level 6) but a quick trip to reception solved it with a move to another room. No questions asked, they completely understood - fantastic.

I had breakfast on both days in the one and only restaurant and it was pretty good. I strongly recommend the Eggs Benedict on Crab Cakes - yummo! Service was discreet and warm.

I also had dinner in the same restaurant (the hotel really needs more than one option) and it was good from a service perspective but the ambience is lacking due to the proximity of the bar. I know it is usual to have a TV in a bar in the USA but I really do not need to be able to see or hear it when I am dining. Further the noise from the patrons (and staff) at the bar enjoying the football verged on unbearable. They really need to close the bar off a little more to make dining a quieter experience - or perhaps it is just me.

Overall this was a wonderful stay and if heading back to Atlanta I would choose here and urge you do the same.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
I totally enjoyed reading your review and comments regarding the restaurant. As we only arrived in Atlanta at this hotel as of May, we are still in the process of making wonderful changes and additions that reflect the Mandarin service and culture. Please be assured that you will be pleased as this process moves to completion in the near future. Again, thank you for your wonderful review. We are looking forward to welcoming you back again.

Sincerely, Robert Lowe, General Manager

Been to Mandarin Oriental, Atlanta? Share your experiences!