“Innkeeper failed to honor booking” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Grist Mill House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Woodstock
Grist Mill House
You added Grist Mill House to your Saves list
Rt. 106, P.O. Box 54, South Woodstock, Woodstock, VT 05071   |
Ranked #12 of 16 Woodstock B&B and Inns
New York City, New York
“Innkeeper failed to honor booking”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2005

Was looking forward to staying at what looked like a nice place. As we were running a bit behind schedule on our drive up, I phoned the innkeeper to update him on our arrival time. He chose that moment to inform me that the room I had booked via e-mail had been rented out to someone else! And what was I offered in the way of an explanation? "There turned out to be too many variables for me to keep track of and I was so busy" !!! Then he had the nerve to suggest that I shouldn't have made "a decision to get in the car and assume there is a room." I had (and still have) an e-mail setting out my formal booking!!! I am a veteran traveler and a detail oriented person. Believe me when I say I followed every rule and every procedure that had been set by the innkeeper. I fear he simply forgot me.

The Innkeeper did manage to help me find another room in another town, but it lacked the charm and location offered by the Grist Mill and I fear our weekend suffered considerably as a result. My advice is that if you chose to overlook my negative experience and book anyway, please give yourself some kind of contingency plan.

• Stayed August 2005

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2005

After being turned away by the Maple Leaf Inn (see review of the Maple Leaf Inn located in Barnard, VT), I called the Grist Mill House in South Woodstock, VT. Peter, the innkeeper, cheerfully answered the phone, said he would make the room with two single beds into a king for us and otherwise prepared our room for our arrival in short order with little notice. Upon arrival, he inquired if we had eaten dinner. When he learned we had not, he immediatly phoned the Kedron Valley Inn and made sure their kitchen would stay open for us (they were just about to close). We had dinner in the pub at the Kedron Valley Inn, which has a spectacular intimate setting and good food. Make sure to ask Peter about the history of the house. Peter's breakfast the next morning was absolutely fantastic. Homemade "sticky buns", sausage and french toast with fruit. His hospitality was out of this world. The website is gristmillhouse.com.

You won't confuse the Maple Leaf Inn and the Grist Mill House as they are two completely different types of accomodations. If you enjoy history and like a more rustic, but very nice place, you will enjoy the Grist Mill House. Further, the price can't be beat.

• Stayed August 2005
Boston, MA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2005

We discovered this B&B by pure accident. It is on the national charter of heritage places. Its website is -------------

Peter and Carole are the wonderful innkeepers. Kodi is their ulta friendly black lab. They do everything they can to make your stay comfortable. Peter even makes your breakfast for you everyday and just in time too, so you dont come down to cold food.

This is one of the warmest and most welcoming places you will find.

The place doesnt look like much from the outside or from the website but inside is a completely different story.

There are only 3 rooms and a shared bathroom (but what a bathroom it is). So its never over crowded and you will meet some pretty interesting people.

The place is beautiful inside and has a great view outside. There is a babbling brook running past the house that will put you to sleep every night.

The place is 4-5 miles from Woodstock so its pretty conveniently located.

Definitely consider this place for a stay if you are in the area.

Been to Grist Mill House? Share your experiences!