“Eat like you're in Tuscany” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romance, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Lyme, New Hampshire
“Eat like you're in Tuscany”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

The chef had been trained in Tuscany and it shows. The food is wonderful. The pizza crust is divine. Th service is wonderful. We can't wait to return.

Middlebury, Vermont
“Worth the drive, a fabulous, reasonable dinner”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

We ate there last night for my husband's birthday, driving over an hour and very happy to have made the trip. We both got the $45 prix fix which is 4 courses and an incredible value. First course we split the salumi plate and an inventive, colorful salad. Then I had risotto with winter veggies, my husband a penne with beef - both excellent. Next I had the sole - very well prepared with perfect ratio of accompanying potato and winter squash. My husband had the pork - I did not try it, but seemed to be the only potential miss - small amount of pork that was a bit bland. Came with Brussels that looked delicious. For dessert the cheese course was excellent (for all the cheese produced here in VT, this is all too rare the case) as was the flourless choc cake.

They accommodated a gluten free diet with no challenge.

Some reviews mention frustration with seeing empty tables in the restaurant despite the challenge of getting a reservation at desired time, claims of being full etc. My take on this is that the restaurant is a very personal, family endeavor and to maintain the caliber of dining experience they are after, the owners intentionally seat in staggered timing and only the capacity they choose to handle.

It's a great spot, tucked away from the street. We'll go back for sure. Can't imagine being disappointed here.

• Visited March 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Wonderful, elegant and not stuffy.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

This is tje second time we have dined here while in Woodstock. The owners ate also the service staff and chefs. They lived in Italy for a time and their food shows it. Simple in some ways and complex in others each course is thoughtful and tastes amazing. Make reservations and take your time...4 courses took us 3 hours but we had unlisted time so didn't push the pace.

Boston
“I Need More Stars”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013 via mobile

How Many Stars Exist in the heavens. I would give them all to these folks. If I could eat here a couple times a week for the rest of my days I would be happy. I warn you, however, this is slow food. If you do not intend to invest a couple hours in your meal, then this is the wrong place for you. If you want to feel that you are at an intimate dinner party with perfect food and wine pairings...then get here. You need reservations far in advance, so it is not a place to drop in unannounced. We went with the fixed price, and I would recommend that route. The portions are not huge, so do not fear the number of courses. The wine is VERY reasonably priced, and I recommend that you let Dierdre pick for you. She has bottles squirreled away throughout the charming space. We cannot wait to come back.

Hanover, New Hampshire
“Rare jewel in the North Country”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

This is the way fine dining should be.
Pane e Salute exemplifies the intimate, sophisticated, yet wholesome unpretentiousness of a restauranteur/'euse who has the confidence to welcome his/her (it's hetero lifepartner-owned and operated) guests into a fine experience of unexpected culinary pleasure and discovery.
Their passion for fine food and gastronomic pleasure was evident, from the intimate ambience and lighting, to the gracious service, and the unexpected combinations of tastes and palates. The wine pairings were well-suggested, leave that decision-point in the selection process to them; I assure you you will be rewarded, again, with an epicurian Discovery. I won't drill down into description of entre's, just visit the website.
If you are within 100 miles of this rare jewel, feel the gravitational pull and go there for a memorable meal.
BUT.....plan ahead, well ahead, And mark the reservation in your calendar in BOLD RED, because your schedule, be it business, social, community, or financial, should revolve around it!

• Visited October 2012