“Disappointed” 3 of 5 stars

Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Grand Junction, Colorado
“Disappointed”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2013

We read some great reviews in Trip Advisor, so we made the trip out to the Kedron Inn. The staff was friendly and accommodating, but the food was incredibly average. I ordered their special, but they had already sold the last one. So, I ordered the turkey pot pie. It was okay, but rather bland. We were disappointed.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

84% Recommend
NSW
“Liked the atmosphere more than the food”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

Perhaps I was expecting too much. The service was pleasant, the Inn is simply gorgeous - it was worth the trip just to sit in the dining room alone - but 'out of this world food' it was not. My husband ordered the chicken pot pie and said it was OK, nothing more. My salmon on lentils was just that - a piece of salmon on a pile of green lentils, which was just OK too. The caramel brownie was lovely, but very small. Overall it was nice - but one of the restaurant highlights of our trip it was not.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Los Angeles, California
“VT Atmosphere, Excellent Service and Food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

I was staying at the KVI but would have dined here anyway as it's one of those off-the-beaten path, authentic spots you can easily get to and be well rewarded for the brief drive (down one simple road--106--about ten minutes from the green; no turning, no tricks, no traffic).

There are two dining rooms, one slightly larger and more formal and a tavern room with bar and giant fireplace. The same menu is available in both. I ate alone in the tavern which had a perfectly authentic atmosphere with a few different nooks. I loved this room. I saw a few sets of locals come in for drinks and dinner which I thought was pretty telling. They were very busy the night I was there but I never waited for service, drinks, food, etc. and the staff in the restaurant really is incredibly friendly and authentic and attentive, happy to serve you, very helpful and a pleasure to talk with.

I had the romaine citrus salad with wedge of Vt. blue cheese, rabbit pappardelle, really great malbec, and creme brulee. Salad was perfectly refreshing, crisp, with a clean, fresh dressing, but might want a slightly more robust blue. I kinda got the rabbit as a test, since I've occasionally had rabbit and it ends up tasting like nothing, but this was really great. Completely satisfying and flavorful dish, delicate, and not over-wrought like a lot of pasta dishes can become outside of a strictly italian kitchen. This was really controlled and perfect, I thought. There were lots of desserts to choose from and the creme brulee was exactly right; you could be more adventurous than me though.

It really has all the pieces of the puzzle. I liked it here a lot and would definitely come back, both to stay and dine.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Salt Lake City, Utah
“Come on Tripadvisor!! :(”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013

This place was not good. Sorry, I hate giving bad reviews but when you have Christmas lights in the fireplace it's a bad sign. Hmm... where to start, the turkey pieces in the turkey pot pie are cold and hard, Sodas were flat, Steak was at least half warm. Tomatoes not good in the Caprese. Disappointed in tripadvisor.

Visited October 2013
vt
“Great dinner experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2013

This is a wonderful Vermont dining experience in a lovely inn. We were seated immediately in the beautiful dining room, in a quiet corner. To start, we ordered the charcuterie plate, which was terrific, and a piece of Consider Bardwell Pawlet cheese, my favorite from CB.

The wine selection is very good, and reasonably priced. We chose a half bottle of Sauvignon Blanc, and were surprised at the quality. Kudos.

Main courses were boulliabaise-style fish stew, and rabbit tagliatelle. Both were superb; the stew delicate and light, with perfectly-cooked fish, shrimp, and mussels. The croustade and garlic aioli were house-made and delicious.

The rabbit tagliatelle was a generous portion of light, handmade pasta with chunks of braised rabbit in a simple ragu. This dish was our favorite by a tiny margin, due to the simplicity and clarity of the flavors: you could really taste the braised rabbit in the dish, even the wine and herbs it was cooked in.

We didn't have dessert, but the dessert menu makes me want to try it next time: Profiteroles, banana cake, local sorbet, and a number of other options I don't remember.
The staff were gracious and friendly, our server was perfect; friendly, knowledgeable, attentive and unobtrusive.

Altogether, a superior dinner, highly recommended.

• Visited September 2013