“Not up to the charm of the town” 2 of 5 stars
Review of The Shire Woodstock

You added The Shire Woodstock to your Saves list
The Shire Woodstock
3.0 of 5 Motel   |   46 Pleasant St., Woodstock, VT 05091 (Formerly Shire Riverview Lodging)   |
Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Woodstock
Certificate of Excellence 2014
New York City, New York
“Not up to the charm of the town”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2006

Its a simple hotel with a good location for nice walks into town, However the staff is not nice or helpful or willing to inform guests of things to do and places to dine. TAKE NOTICE the hotel is on a truck route so ALL night long no matter where your room is front or back, you will hear and feel giant trucks going thru town and there are hundreds.

The town is beautiful and next time we go we will spend a bit more and stay at the WOODSTOCK INN for a true Vermont experience. I was wanred by Ellen at NYCMOVE.com to not stay at the SHIRE. It could be a cute place and the price is right but the staff and the truck traffic just ruined it for us.

• Liked — it was clean
  • Disliked — the staff and the trucks all night long
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (107)
Walnut Creek, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2006

I booked this accomodation on the basis of its ranking on this website, and on the fact that the Michelin Guide gives this city a 3* rating. Two sources that are usually on target let me down a bit this time. After having read the previous review, I can vouch for the lack of honesty of the staff. I booked a room directly through them, and asked for a standard riverview. Since pre-paying is required when booking this hotel, I put it on my credit card. When I received my bill a few weeks before the trip, I noticed the charge was higher than my recollection, so I called and found out they charged me for a premium riverview instead, which was $20/night more expensive. I asked for a change and was told that they wouldn't put me in a standard riverview because I apparently hadn't read the confirmation letter they sent me two weeks earlier which indicated a premium riverview room. (I could have cancelled for a $20 fee, but decided not to).
When we arrived, the staff kept recommending the Mountain Creamery for breakfast to everyone, and there were flyers to that effect posted. Since my friend wanted to have blueberry pancakes with vermont maple syrup, I asked if the Mountain Creamery served that, to which she literally answered "I have no idea!". I found it rather strange that someone would recommend a place where they not only have obviously never eaten, but never even bothered to look at the menu!!
I then asked for directions to the Jackson House Restaurant, where we had dinner reservations (which we made in great part due to tripadvisor recommendations). It's not such a big town, but she apparently couldn't tell us how to get there and said she didn't recommend the place "because they weren't too friendly when we contacted them." We found the place on our own and had a very memorable dinner there. The staff there were very friendly and the service impeccable. Apparently the only criterion for receiving a restaurant recommendation from this motel is that you give them a large enough kickback.
The room interior, I must admit, was very nice. Quite pretty, in fact. The view was nice as well (see photo). Nevertheless, anyone outside could look in and see what was on the luggage rack, chest of drawers, and main table unless you drew a privacy curtain. Since the privacy curtain went the opposite direction of the door, however, you could only draw it when you were inside. Therefore, when we left for dinner, we had to move our stuff over onto the beds so that our laptops, etc., wouldn't be visible.
I also called the front desk and asked if they had an internet connection. "Only dial-up" was the response. When I asked how that worked, I as told "You call your ISP, find out the local number, and dial it up!". That seemed like a rather smart-assed response to me.
Incidentally, from the number of cars in the parking lot, the place was nowhere near full, and almost certainly could have given me the standard riverview room when I called if they had wanted to.
Therefore, despite the attractive room interior, needless to say I would not return here. This may be a family-run place, and the danger of family-run places is that the staff have guaranteed job security. Vermont is small. One would be better off booking something in a nearby town and driving in. I guess I would see what would come up through Priceline for the Rutland-Killington region.

• Liked — The beds, the views
  • Disliked — The honesty and attitude of the staff
  • Tips/Secrets — Try another place or another town.
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
MASS
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2006

I booked 2 rooms for myself, pregnant wife, a friend and his pregant wife. I spoke with Greg (think he runs the place) and expalined to him that my wife and I were 100% sure we would be making the trip and my friend and his wife were abouit 70% sure, they needed to confirm a babysitter. Greg told me no problem, but that I needed to give 2 weeks notive to not be charged if we had to cancel a room. Unfortunaly our friends could not make it so I called 16 days before to cancel their room. I spoke with Luanne at the Shire and she said there would be a $20 fee for the cancelled room, I told her I was never informed of a chage, just the 2 weeks notive and she more or less called me a lier. Without any further dicsussion she said you can either cancel the ONE room and pay the fee or she was going to cancel both and charge no fee. On principal of not giving in to such pressure and TERRIBLE customer serivce I cancelled both, which was upsetting because my wife and I were really looking forward to the trip.

A week or so later I saw that only one of the rooms I booked had been refunded so I called back. I spoke to Greg this time who told me I was being charged $40 for cancelling both rooms! Apperenly Luanne never told him of the 2 options she had rudely given me AND she also told him I had berated her and the staff (which is ABSOLUTELY rediculous). Greg took the stance of, go ahead and call your credit card company or wahtever you want to do, we will win.

Bottom line, this is the worst constomer service/experince booking a trip I have ever had. My wife and I were looking forward to a nice getaway and instead only got agravation, attitude, lied to, and charged $40. Do not deal with these people, you will regret it.

Stayed July 2006
USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2006

Booked this hotel on recommendations from Trip Advisor. Was a bit worried about the mention of rude behavior of owners. However, I did not encounter that and found the front desk friendly. Our suite on the river was perfect and found nothing to complain about. Make sure you go to Simon Pierce for dinner or lunch. We sat right at the edge of the waterfall. Magical experience and good food.

• Stayed July 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Temecula, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2006

We booked this hotel because it was one of the few non-B&B options in Woodstock, VT. The price quote seemed to fluctuate depending on whom I spoke with, and they had a very strict cancellation policy (non-refundable within 14 days of reservation). The room was clean and nice enough, but it felt like you were staying with your grandma (an old quilt bedcover, flowery sheets, loud air conditioner). There was a long list of Do's and Don'ts, making you feel that you weren't to be trusted. The front desk had limited hours, so you had to time your check-in/out accordingly. It does, however, sit on a beautiful river and the view is very nice. The motel has ample parking, and it is an easy 5-minute walk to town (dog lovers should stop by the Stephen Huneck Gallery). There is a full grocery store directly across the street from the motel. We paid $128/night for a Standard Riverview King, which seemed a bit high compared to similar places we've stayed.

Stayed July 2006
Boston, MA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2006

My family has been visiting Woodstock at least once or twice a year for 15 years, and we have stayed at the Shire most of the time. The rooms have always been clean and functional; the service, while not lavish, has been friendly and personal. The view from rooms overlooking the river is beautiful in any season and a balm to the soul. It is WELL worth paying a small premium for one of these rooms. The rooms in the central hallway are a plus in the winter, as you can get to the free morning coffee without braving the outdoor weather.
We have stayed at the Woodstock Inn and some of the other motels and B&Bs but keep coming back to the Shire as the place with both the best location and value.
It's also preferable to a B&B because you can go to Mountain Creamery for the best pancakes in the world!

• Stayed December 2005
Nashville, TN
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2006

What a bloody mess, this was possibly the worst experience I have ever had while on vacation.
First, the room was reserved a month in advance and upon arriving they placed us in the overflow room, which only had access by walking around the entire hotel to the rear in the rain. The view was excellent, however there was no way to control the heat and upon asking the owners how I may adjust the temperature, I was told to open a window. I then asked for a fan in order to draw the "cooler" outside air in and was promptly told they could not give me one, however a store in the village may. I then inquired about an air conditioner and was told there where non availble. After three sleepless nights I was completely outraged and decided to check out the following morning. This is when the fun really started.
When informing the desk that I would be leaving a day early I was confronted w/ immense hostility and told I would be charged for the entire reservation. I once again filed my complaints and was told that I should have left after the first night and that he(the owner) would have done the same, yet I would have still been charged for the room. Are you bloody kidding me?
My wife and I spoke calmly, however the owner began yelling while essentially telling us that our issues where unfounded and if we left, we would be charged for the full reservation. When trying to explain why we where unhappy once again and thus leaving, his verbal assualt continued and we where told that we where just unhappy because we did not get our way.
Needless to say, we left and will NEVER return. Please do not waste your time or money. Forgot to mention that our room charge was the same as if we had actually stayed in a fully functioning King room.

• Stayed October 2005

Been to The Shire Woodstock? Share your experiences!