We were at the Shire for a family wedding weekend and both the bride and grooms' families took over most of the motel. There were lots of children and the accommodations were wonderful, the staff superb. They were so friendly and accommodating, and went out of their way to be helpful in recommending places to eat (with many children)--all suggestions were right on. There is a market across the street which was great for sandwiches, breakfast items, wine, etc.
Most rooms had river views and/or deck space; bed and bath linens were all way above what you would expect in a motel and the rooms were immaculate. They own the buildings next door (I think those rooms are for adults only) and they are beautifully appointed with 4-poster beds, fireplaces, etc.
We all had such a good time that we are thinking of going back to celebrate a 50th anniversary and 70th birthday next year. In spite of the weather being very overcast, we didn't get the predicted rain and the whole experience at the Shire was perfect.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Each of our 42 rooms is uniquely furnished in traditional New England style and many of them have a beautiful view of the Ottauquechee River which flows behind the property. Hospitality is our priority and we want you to feel at home here at The Shire Woodstock. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Travelocity and Booking.com so you can book your The Shire Woodstock reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Shire Riverview Hotel Woodstock
- Shire Riverview Woodstock