Don't let the idea of 'motel' keep you away from the Shire. It's family run by the DiCarlos and beautifully appointed. Yes, it does have large, clean motel rooms, but also has two other buildings of accomodations.
One house includes two suites with optional kitchen/living room combo.
The first floor suite my husband and I stayed in had a gas fireplace, king size bed, hardwood floors and a large corner whirlpool tub. It was beautiful. Yes, there's cable TV/VCR for those who can't live with it.
Last time we visited we stayed the newest building with guest rooms overlooking the Ottaquechee River. The view is to die for. The first floor wasn't even finished being built and I'm not sure what the DiCarlos have planned for it. At one point they said it would be a B&B and later they were thinking of living in it themselves.
Most of the guest rooms here are on the second floor, have balconies overlooking the river and also have gas fireplaces for those chilly nights.
The Shire is located in the heart of Woodstock, walking distance to shops and resturants. Don't miss Pane & Salute for fresh just baked bread or full brunch.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Each of our 42 rooms is uniquely furnished in traditional New England style and many of them have a beautiful view of the Ottauquechee River which flows behind the property. Hospitality is our priority and we want you to feel at home here at The Shire Woodstock. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Hotels.com, Expedia and Booking.com so you can book your The Shire Woodstock reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Shire Riverview Hotel Woodstock
- Shire Riverview Woodstock