“Lovely river for fishing, swimming,canoes, or biking along side” 5 of 5 stars

Woodstock, VT
Improve this listing
Ranked #4 of 19 things to do in Woodstock
More attraction details
Owner description: River that runs through Woodstock.
vermont
73 attraction reviews
“Lovely river for fishing, swimming,canoes, or biking along side”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2012

This river starts quite small west of Woodstock, lovely through the town of Woodstock with old homes and gardens along the edges. This Taftsville covered bridge was damaged during the 2011 Irene hurricane and will be under repairs for 2012 and 2013 but still very interesting to see. State stocks the river with fish each year. Later it runs into Quechee Gorge where you can either see the river and gorge from Rt 4 highway bridge, or hike down to the bottom. This river ends up at a flood control dam in North Hartland- a nice spot for swimming and picnics, and from there flows into the Conneticut River.

Visited May 2012

Grantham, New Hampshire
37 attraction reviews
“RIVER REVIEW”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2012

My husbands first view of this bridge and river he called me in California and described how much he was enjoying it ...Years later we traveled there together, now it is a part of our yearly travels. We love New England sights and this is so traditional. There is a small store above the bridge, I walked in for a snack ...it was so clean and tidy .... not the relaxed New England general stores that I knew so well. I asked where the owner was from ... as we chatted I found he had attended Occidental College and had lived one block from where my parents lived and where I had spent my teenage years in California .... small world . Later I learned that Amish people had also settled in this area from PA during WWII because they were pacifist and it was mandatory for them . They continued to live there working at Dartmouth Medical Center..... I continue to learn so much from chats with the "natives" ..... where ever I travel .

Visited May 2012
9 attraction reviews
“Spectacular”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2012

The all around beauty of nature. There was nothing to dislike about this wonderful place.

Visited April 2012
Nashville, Tennessee
18 attraction reviews
“Beautiful place to live”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2012

We have been blessed to live right on the Ottauquechee River and it is beautiful. Hurricane Irene caused a lot of damage along the river in August 2011 but it is recovering.

Visited April 2012
Sunapee, New Hampshire
6 attraction reviews
“just fascinating!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2012

Just a fascinating covered bridge, so New England!