“Luncheon Date” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Columbus Grill is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #83 of 229 Restaurants in Manassas
Cuisines: American, Mediterranean
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Manassas, Va
“Luncheon Date”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

This is a convenient place and we were pleased for the most part. Food was good but a little salty for my taste. Service was excellent. There were not many people in there for lunch which we thought was odd. We would go back again.

• Visited January 2013

Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Bring friends!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

Five of us had excellent service, great food, and precious little ambience on a recent Saturday night. What happened to the Saturday night crowd we expected. There was a nice private party, folks on the outside patio and bar, and too few patrons inside the restaurant. Low lighting and an empty place which should have been filled given the quality of the food, ample portion size, and what my wife called the 'best crabcakes'. All of us were pleased with what was served and puzzled at the absence of others. Bring your own ambience with you!

• Visited June 2013
Manassas, Virginia
“Sunday Brunch”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

My family went there today to try their brunch and quite disappointed. They have some salad (nothing fancy), regular brunch items like pancake,sausage,bacon and eggs, some spicy shrimp pasta, mac and cheese, bacalao,rice, pork loin,chicken breast and dried up roast beef. they also have mussel and oyster and some dessert. It may sound a lot but not for the price that they charge of $19 per person. Their chef also needs to improve or adjust their seasoning,everything is salty. i was hoping for something different since the restaurant is supposed to be mediterranean. they were also missing some serving spoons. they were busy but that should be expected because it is mother's day.Well at least i tried and sad to say, i will never go back.

• Visited May 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Manassas, Virginia
“So close to great”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

After driving past the Columbus Grill many times and seeing a full parking lot, my wife and I decided to try dinner there last Friday. When we arrived it was difficult to figure out where the entrance was and we ended up in the bar, but the hostess was attentive and quickly steered us in the right direction. We were seated in a very tight booth with a high table that was fairly awkward and hard to relax in (think of an adult high chair) and couldn't really see the rest of the restaurant, but we got the feeling that it was fairly empty, which really made us apprehensive. The bar was hopping though! We could hear every conversation including a screaming child (?).

The waitress was charming. Very attentive and cheerful - she did a lot to make us feel welcomed. Drinks came out quickly - the House red wine was soft and simple with a good portion size. We really liked the menu. Plenty to choose from, but some of the traditional Portuguese dishes could have benefitted from more description and pronunciation helpers. My wife started with a house salad, which was excellent, and I started with the Seafood Veloute, "Jumbo lump crab and scallops in a rich creamy lobster-based soup", but was really disappointed by the rather large bowl and scant amount of seafood. The taste was great but it was very rich, and without much seafood it was like drinking macaroni and cheese after a while. I could only finish about half of it. For entrees, my wife got the "Bitoque" and I got a special - "Fennel dusted Mahi-Mahi". The Bitoque was a simple "meat and potatoes" type of dish, but it was cooked and seasoned well. It was served in a copper bowl with high sides, and unfortunately, with the high table, also contributed to the "high chair" effect and made eating feel rather trough-like. My fish was excellent, although I think it sat under the heat lamps because it was a little dry on top and the mashed potatoes that it sat on were tepid around the edges. The overall dish was fantastic though and I relished every bite. Dessert was very good (an almond custard dish), especially with espresso, and, together with more diners being seated and the bar noise decreasing, really helped to buoy our sprits, and we left full and happy. Overall, I can understand the other commenter's stories much better now. Columbus Grill teeters on the edge of being a great restaurant with a line outside the door, but also could be a restaurant featured on "Restaurant Impossible". I think that they could really benefit from either opening the main dining room up and making it a more communal dining experience, or closing off the bar area and increasing the size of the booths to make it a more intimate date restaurant. Right now it doesn't really do either very well and that's a shame because the food and the concept are a great fit for Manassas and I'd like to see them succeed.

• Visited March 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
McLean, Virginia
“Save your $”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

After a horrible first experience there in 2011 we decided to give the place a second chance and try it again.
So we went there the second week of december for a date night. We were seated at a table close to the entrance (same table as teh year before, we almost had a horrible deja vu feeling), whenever the resturant's door opened, we froze. There were a couple individuals that kept coming out of the bar area and going out then back in, I believe one of them may have been the owner. I don't think I've ever felt quite that cold in a restaurant before. We were hoping that the food has improved since the last time and would make up for the bad seating but boy, were we disappointed...

I ordered the crab cakes... again! I thought the first time it was a fluke. They were the nastiest, worst crab cakes I've ever had the misfortune to taste, they seemed even worse than I remembered from the previous visit. There was very little crab and lots and lots of fillers. They were rather tough and not what I expected at all.
The other person at the table ordered a basic steak/ fillet with a side of asparagus. The asparagus was raw, the steak was rare although he asked for medium. The waiter couldn't care less about our complaints.

It was a horrible meal. We are never going back.

Visited December 2012