“Great Overall Hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 19 Hotels in Manassas
Gambrills, Maryland
“Great Overall Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2011

This hotel was recommended by a couple of friends that travel to Manassas frequently. Good location (very quiet area away from the main traffic) and good value for the price. The internet was free and fast. Bathroom was very clean--a BIG dealbreaker for me. Suite was perfect, nice furnishings, good water pressure (a pet peeve of mine) and plenty of space. When I returned home, I discovered that I'd forgotten something in my room. I called the hotel and it was found and mailed to my home. This is definitely my Manassas hotel for all future visits!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Annapolis, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2011

I stayed at this Candlewood during the snow storm. I was amazed how clean this hotel was and how friendly the staff is. During the storm, I was surprised to see the managers outside helping clear snow from our vehicles in the parking lot!!!
My bed was very confortable and my room seemed larger than other hotels I`ve stayed at. My employees and I love this place, and we will definitely be back!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
Annapolis, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2010

I own a family owned business, and my wife and I stayed here one night on our way back to Maryland. The rooms had a kitchenette with a sink, refrigerator, dishwasher and microwave and toaster. The Tupperware in the kitchens would be a nice perk if staying for a few days although I did not use them. They also offer a small store that worked on the honor system and was great if you forgot something or wanted a late night snack. I had to buy some advil as I pulled a muscle trying to lift my bag (I had overpacked!). There was a couple of grills that looked like it could be used by guests. Only staying one night, I didn't take advantage of many of these things but it certainly nice to know that they offer these at a Candlewood Suites. There were many restaurants a short drive away as well as stores, it was really easy to find, right off the highway. Clean, and well appointed. Having my own business, value is very important for me in this uncertain economy, and this hotel delivered.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled on business
Manassas, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2010

The only negative thing I can say about this hotel is that it's pet friendly. You pay a $75 fee to keep a pet for 1-6 days and $150 fee to keep a pet for 7 days+. This was great for us, as we are traveling with two cats, but if you are allergic to or afraid of pets, this hotel might not be your best bet.

Other reviewers have complained of a mildew smell. We have been here for four days/nights and I have not noticed any such smell. The hotel lobby is a little small, but I didn't find it "dingy" as another person said. All of the common areas look and smell clean. Also, someone complained about "black bugs" outside the door. Keep in mind that this hotel is near some woods. I saw several beetles and moths, but nothing I had to worry about like roaches.

If you have never stayed at a Candlewood, prepare to be surprised by the rooms. You get a full sized fridge, dishwasher, microwave and 2-burner stove. They also provide plates, glasses, coffee cups, silverware and cooking utensils like a colander, pasta spoon, and knives, plus a couple of pots and a frying pan. This was great for us, as we are staying for two weeks and will be cooking a lot. They also provide one small bottle of dishwashing liquid and a single dishwasher detergent pack.

The bed is comfortable and the covers are super warm. As another reviewer said, it is odd that there are no king beds, but the queen was large enough for our needs. The towels aren't super fluffy but are clean. You can trade out your towels in the office at any time, should you need fresh ones.

We get free wi-fi internet and a nice TV. The laundry room is free, though often busy during the day. There is also a free fitness room, but no swimming pool. One amenity I was impressed by was the BBQ pavilion. There are two gas grills and a couple of tables so we could have had a decent little cookout if we had wanted.

This hotel was an incredible value. We could have paid the same to stay at a hotel with far fewer amenities.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
Virginia Beach, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2010

The rooms were large and had their own kitchen. It's like your own apartment. Nice staff and cool environment. The hotel was spotless and seemed like it had just opened. I stained my khakhis so I grabbed some change and headed to the guest laundry. I was quite surprised to find that the laundry machines were free….I have never seen that before in a hotel. I will be back!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
Toledo, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2010

Candlewood Suites in Manassas, VA is such a curious mix of excellent characteristics and poor ones that I'm not even sure how to rate it properly after our recent two-night stay.

First, the good: This hotel opened in May '09 according to a front desk clerk, and the room furnishings far exceed both the quality and condition of furnishings in a lot of hotels. A lot of things still look and seem brand new, from the appliances and supplies in the very large and well-stocked kitchen area to the leather recliners in the bedroom to the bath towels to the very comfy pillows. I could go on and on! The owners of this hotel did a fantastic job of choosing good-quality furnishings for this hotel that would stand up well to average wear-and-tear. Although it is a bit puzzling that owners opted for all queen beds -- no kings are available anywhere in the hotel.

The spacious room layouts are nice, with a large bathroom and a large closet; and the desk clerks were helpful and friendly. The covered patio out back with two grills furnished for cooking out was a neat touch, and we always appreciate a hotel that is pet-friendly. In addition, the location of this hotel is fantastic if you are attending a concert at Jiffy Lube Live (formerly the Nissan Pavilion) and are worried about traffic problems.

Now, the poor: The previous reviewer who mentioned the strong mildew odor on the first floor is correct. I found it very off-putting and worried about what our room was going to be like, especially because the lobby is kind of dingy and small in addition to being smelly. There was also a slight odor in the room, but after a short while I didn't notice it anymore. In our second floor room, though, there might've been the beginning signs of a moisture problem, too. Some mold spots were along the tub, and it seemed as if maybe there was damage to the walls that had been painted over. There is something (A/C?) that constantly leaks and drips over one of the hotel's side entrance doors, so maybe that's causing a problem. I also noticed some very large black bugs scurrying around that same entrance, and a dead one just inside the doorway.

Also, while I found our room to be pretty clean in general, the perimeter of the carpet held a lot of debris, dust, hair, etc. The cleaning staff probably needs to vacuum that with a wand every once in a while; I would guess this hasn't been done since the hotel opened.

We did hear one guest at the desk complaining about thin walls, but we didn't notice a problem.

Due to the reasonable price, size of the rooms, quality of furnishings and its proximity to the local concert venue, I would recommend this hotel for either a single night or extended stay. However, I'd suggest you ask for an upper floor to perhaps get away from the moisture problems, possible bug problems and mildew smell. Also, reserve judgment about the hotel until you actually key into your suite, as that is where Candlewood is its best.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Virginia Beach, Virginia, USA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2010

I was on holidayinn.com booking a nearby Holiday Inn and was instead billed for this hotel. I called this Candlewood Suites within minutes, explaining that I needed a refund because I hadn't intended to book this hotel at all and that it was a website error. They are owned by the same Hotel Group and I booked through HOLIDAYINN.COM so I didn't think it would be a problem. After speaking with them numerous times, including with the general manager they still refused to give me a complete refund. I was eventually forced to give up and pay for a room at this hotel and one at the Holiday Inn on the same night.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple