“Not what we expected from a Marriott Property” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Free Parking
Ranked #4 of 19 hotels in Manassas
Newark
“Not what we expected from a Marriott Property”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2012

When traveling in the Manassas area, you might want to give this hotel a pass when looking for a nice place to stay. We are Marriott Rewards members and will try to stay in a Marriott property whenever possible, but we will put this hotel on our 'do not stay' list. Why do I say that? Let me count the ways:
1. The room was nice but smelled of old cigarettes even though it was a non-smoking room.
2. There were three adults staying in the room and when we checked in, there were only three bath towels in the bathroom. We asked for more, which we received, but the next day there were only three bath towels place in the bathroom again.
3. The rooms could have definitely been cleaner and I had to wipe down the sinks when we got back to the room in the evenings - definitely not up to Marriott standards!
4. There were no towels available at the indoor pool, so we had to use our room towels, and at this point, we were just hanging them up for use the next day as we were tired of asking for towels.
5. Breakfast was OK on the first day, with eggs, waffles, sausage, sausage, and more sausage along with the typical muffins, bagels, yogurt, etc. but on the second day it was just sausage, sausage, and sausage with sausage gravy plus the typical cold offerings. It was so bad that we decided to go out for breakfast at Cracker Barrel which was just across the street.
6. The TV in the room was a flatscreen and OK the first night but on the second night half of the channels were out and the only response from the front desk was that it was the same way in the lobby, sorry.... Wow! Ok, so you don't go to a hotel to watch TV but with this and the problems with the towels, the dirty room, and the sausage, sausage, and more sausage - it was a bit much!
All in all, not a typical Marriott experience. I am giving the hotel three stars ONLY because I know Marriott hotels and love them AND because the beds were very comfy, but I will definitely give this hotel a pass the next time we are in Manassas!

Room Tip: Try another Marriott in the area...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business

127 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2012 via mobile

Hotel was very clean. Room was very comfortable and decor was pretty. Front desk staff very pleasant. Check in and check out were a breeze. They do offer free breakfast, but we opted for Cracker Barrel across the street. Very close to Jiffy Lube Live.

• Stayed July 2012
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2012

I usually travel to VA once a month but this was my first time staying at this hotel. I really enjoyed my stay and I am definitely staying at this hotel each time I come back. The manager Marby was very welcoming along with another gentleman at the front desk, Alex. When I needed something Alex and other staff members were glad to accommodate. The room was clean and the breakfast was excellent. Francisco, the gentleman in charge of the breakfast provided excellent service I felt like I was at a restaurant. I didn't go in the pool but it looks nice. Thank you for a great experience.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Fairfax, VA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2012

We sought refuge in a hotel after our power was out due to a storm. With no AC and 100 degree temps we gave up trying to sleep and hit the road at 3am looking for a room. Most hotels in our immediate area were full. We headed west hoping for the best, but with millions without power, in the Washington DC area, and on the July 4th vacation week, we did not have much hope. We pulled in here and the clerk said there was one room left, a cancellation which just came in. The timing was such that this must have been good karma working for us. The clerk, Alex, was the best! He checked us in with a good rate and stretched the checkout time for us.

So we got in the large king bed room, small fridge and coffee maker included, had a wonderful sleep with AC, in a comfy bed and a quiet hotel. The sink is separate from the toilet and shower which I like. We were up too late for the breakfast but it looked substantial. We looked around as this was our first time at this hotel. The indoor pool was adequate, the lobby are very nice, and the parking was good. The location is right off Route 66 East and is about 30 to 45 minutes outside DC. There is no metro nearby, so you do need a car if planning to visit the sights in the area. There is a Cracker Barrel just across the street.

Since our power came back, we only stayed one night. I will recommend this hotel to everyone I know and will stay here again in the future. Thanks to Alex the clerk they have customers for life!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2012

I stayed here for six days while visiting the DC area and I'd definitely stay here again. Complimentary breakfast was great, there's always ample parking, there's a pool, and it's so close to the freeway entrance, to shopping areas and restaurants. Very convenient! Even though it's close to the freeway, I didn't find it to be noisy. The rooms appear to be updated and clean. Last but not least, the staff was very friendly and helpful. Highly recommended for all types of travelers.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Naples, Florida, USA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2012

Even though Fairfield Inn is the "economy" property of Marriott, having stayed at other levels of Marriott many times my husband and I had certain expectations of quality when we spent a night for a wedding. When we called to make the reservation, we were told that we booked too late for the wedding rate, and were told the only room available was an "executive room" with a pull out sofa and extra TV which we didn't need. The room was spacious and clean and had all the promised features, but we felt that the final price of $147 including tax was a too much given the location of the hotel and lack of other amenities. Ironically, we had cancelled a booking at a Residence Inn in the same city to be closer to be in the same hotel as friends, and the cost of the Residence Inn was significantly lower. Other concerns included thin scratchy bath towels and a littered carpet in the elevator. On the plus side, as many other reviewers have noted, the young man running the breakfast is wonderful and deserves kudos (and maybe a raise :)

Room Tip: The executive rooms are nice for a family but overpriced for a couple.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
lorton
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2012

My wife and I stayed at the fairfield for the first time, back in may just to get away for a few days and we enjoyed every minute of it. I randomly like to take my wife out to different hotels once every couple months just for a different atmosphere. But we can't seem to go to another hotel because of the comfort of the service as well as the cleanliness of the rooms. The front desk person was extremely helpful with showing us the attractions. The fact that I like to ask alot of annoying questions, didn't seem to bother him at all. Probably won't be the last time we visit that location. Thanks for a wonderful, peaceful getaway.
Much Needed relaxation
Kevin

Room Tip: Try the suite...Awesome setup
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Fairfield Inn & Suites Manassas? Share your experiences!