“A bit remote” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 15 Hotels in Bugibba
milton keynes
“A bit remote”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2014

The hotel was rated as 4*, however I would query this. Saga are the main client, so expect more elderly couples, although that was not a problem at all. Our room was good although we monitored a coke? stain on the floor for the 4 days we were there. Take your own toiletries as they only provided a shower cap and soap. Shower gel was in a dispenser but ours had not been used for some while as the nozzle underneath was full of brown gunge. We were half board and food was exceptional and the entertainment was very good, apart from one night. A little remote but a good courtesy bus service into the nearest town

Room Tip: The rooms overlooking the sea have no sun on the balcony
Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying at the Coastline Hote. We appreciate your comments regarding our hotel and would like to apologize for causing you disappointment during your stay. I have passed your comments to my team to ensure that such shortcomings do not re occur. Please let us know if you plan on returning so that we can make sure your stay goes as smoothly as possible and hopefully we will be able to restore your confidence in our service and product.

Martha Micallef

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (108)
  • Turkish first
Chester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2014

This hotel caters mainly for an older clientele . . . but don't be put off!!!! Very difficult to fault any aspect of this establishment. The staff were very helpful with typical Maltese friendliness. My room was on the 3rd floor, it was large & overlooked the sea, however it was showing slight signs of wear . . again don't be put off!! The food was far beyond expectations, varied & very good quality. This hotel is ideal if you want to get away from the hustle & bustle of town locations. A reliable free shuttle is provided for those wanting to explore.

Dear Sir,

I am glad to read your comments about the hotel and service. It is always heartening read that our guests enjoyed their stay and that all was to their expectations. Thank you for your review and feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Selby, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2014

I took my elderly in-laws here for a short break last month and found it to be a good hotel which mainly caters for SAGA guests and school students. On the negative side, it is located somewhat remotely from anywhere else, but to off-set this the hotel have put on a courtesy minibus into the local town and back every 30 minutes and this runs all day and into the evening. There is also a good service bus although access is via steps or a long sloping drive, so not good for those with walking difficulties.

The rooms were fairly basic but clean and well serviced and the beds were very comfortable with pillows to die for. It has a good bar area and a small lounge downstairs which is functional but open to the lobby area, but it is missing a more relaxing comfortable lounge area where you can sit for a quiet drink. There is free evening entertainment in the bar and some of the acts were very good. Furthermore, the bar prices were very reasonable.

Food quality was very good with a range of self-service selections which were all well cooked and presented, but waiting service clearing the plates were a little stretched at times, so on a couple of occasions there was a significant delay between courses.

My wife and I would definately stay here again, but I would not return with my in-laws.

Room Tip: Seaview rooms are north facing so you should avoid these out of season
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing the Coastline Hotel, and for your recommendations. We are pleased to know you enjoyed your stay. We are looking forward to welcome you back in our Hotel.

Swansea
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2014 via mobile

Check in easy very helpful reception staff nice large room with sea view kettle in room decent size bathroom comfy beds friendly maid service. Restaurant large and airy with amazingly helpful and efficient staff food breakfast was a good selection of cereals fresh fruit ham cheeses yoghurt and full English if you want. Evening meal was a selection of soup salad and hors d'oeuvres followed by a selection of meat and fish dishes with seasonal veg followed by delicious desserts. The bar was comfortable the entertainment varied. A courtesy bus runs to Bugibba at regular intervals. All in all an enjoyable break.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

I am glad to read your comments about the hotle and service. It is always heartening read that our guests enjoyed their stay and that all was to their expectations. Thank you for your review and feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

london
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2014

In a nutshell this place is a fancy B&B!!!
it was one of the worst hotels i have been in the service from the reception staff was terrible the first day the rooms were not ready and we was not greeted appropriately. No-one in the hotel welcomed us with open arms and they was very inappropriate about their own lack of service.
the average age for people in the hotel range between 40 to 60 years old. the rooms were untidy and the chamber maid stole money and items of value from 3 rooms. the food was very cold and disgusting they had a lack of variety of food to order from and if you're not on an all inclusive package let's just say you have to pay for water.
the tours that were included in the deal ie the open tour bus and the harbour cruise was a waste of time on top of that the hotel refused to give you the vouchers because the reception staff take them for themselves when you to go to the tour location that you need to purchase the cruises from they put all the blame on the hotel as they have been doing it on more than 1 occasion.
The duty manager malcolm is no better because even when you complain about things to him he literally writes it on a bit of paper and doesn't respond. All in all i would give this hotel a 1 out of 20 because it's not even worth a free visit.

Room Tip: They emphasis sea view but the whole of the island has a sea view.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

Whilst we are profoundly sorry for not meeting your expectations, I would like to let you know that the Mr Malcolm Buhagiar is addressing the issues you have raised and we are currently working towards avoiding similar situation in the coming future. Hopefully we will have the opportunity to welcome you again soon and change your perception of our hotel. Please feel free to email me on mmicallef@coastline.com.mt for further assistance.

Mintlaw, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2014

Booked this hotel with Saga for our first Holiday with them and were not disappointed. Not now being an exclusive Saga hotel made it more interesting with a group of French students staying at the same time as ourselves. The students (approx. age 14 to 16) were very well behaved and added to the atmosphere of the place. The food for an all inclusive deal was exceptionally good with varying dishes and always a good vegetarian option and they even remembered guests birthdays and anniversaries. All the staff were very helpful and friendly which made for an enjoyable holiday. The hotel is being upgraded at the moment but work being carried out did not disturb us in any way. The courtesy bus run by the hotel was very efficient and made good use of by ourselves to take us into the town of Bugibba (15minutes away).

Room Tip: Sea view rooms face north, so we choose a south facing room for a sunny outlet at this time of year.
Dear Guest,

I thank you for posting your positive comments, I will pass on these comments to my team. I hope that in the future we able to accommodate you again once again.

Paris, France
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2014

Not my ideal kind of hotel. I'm having some difficulty in wriing something positive about this place, so I guess I'll remain as objective as possible. I actually booked this hotel as part of an all inclusive weekend affair through a travel agents which seemed reasonable at the time. It turned out to be something else. The next time, if I want something special, I know to avoid this. I'm not saying that it was bad, just not my idea of a holiday place. If you like the "Benidorm" kind of package then this is for you, if not, go for the hotel, and plan your own thing, if you can't find anything else.

The hotel itself is a huge sprawling multi-level complex and one-stop shop kind of place complete with mini shop, restaurant, swimming pool, massage and beauty salon. Everything you need to keep you there and nowhere else which is just as well because the nearest place for any shopping is about 4km away round the bay.

The entrance to the hotel was all boarded up (March) as they were working on the revolving doors so that kind of said something. But not a disaster: works go on all the time in hotels. The hall is a large marble 1960s or 70s style affair. Then I arrived at the English/French speaking reception where I soon found out that the company I'd booked with hadn't transferred my information to the hotel, but we arranged something fairly quickly. Not their fault but I did have an anxious moment for the first time that I can remember. From now on, I'm sticking to my own arrangements when traveling! So not the greatest of starts.

I was given the room 404 on a BB deal. I'm not a set meal time kind of person, So this kind of arrangement usually satisfies me.

The room was very large with a private terrace overlooking the Maltese countryside. I did find that it wasn't as clean as I'd like things to be. There was quite a lot of dust in places and the toilet under the rim of the seat needs thorough cleaning. With regards to the bathroom: the "shower" ran either scalding hot or freezing cold as it was one of those "turn-tap" showers that didn't function at all well. I actually gave up the first day and just stuck to taking baths. On that note, I noticed that the bathtub is bevelled to the point that not all the water drains properly and just sits there leaing a puddle.

Internet access (or Wi-fi) which in most places I've been is usually free, is payable here (vouchers cost 3 (3hours), 6 (24hrs) and 12 (3 days), I think, euros) It was like this in Cyprus too. But I don't know why that is, when in every other country I've been, the WiFi is always open and free. Never mind.

One thing I liked, was the environmentally aware solution for dealing with rubbish: the rooms are equipped with seperate bins for paper, plastic and anything else. I liked that. in fact on of the reasons, I wanted t com to Malta is the local drive to be 100% environmentally friendly by 2020.

I did take breakfast once and it was a buffet style help yourself affair with the usually stuff and this was good. Plenty of seating in a big breakfast room that doubles for lunch and dinner! I took dinner once too (leg of duck dish) which was ok but nothing special. And is true what some on here have said in that it is catered for "British" tastes which isn't always the best! But you'll survive! :) Also just for your info, Europeans, especially the French, Spanish and Italians prefer to eat later, 10 is not unheard of. I find the "last orders rule" of 9pm to be a bit early.

The hotel is situated on its own about 5 km from the nearest town/resort of any worth, BUT, remember Malta isn't huge so gettng away out about, whether walking (you are in the Med) or transport systems will get you to most places fairly quickly (although watch out for peak hour travel especially from La Valletta as the bus I was travelling in was jam packed).

The hotel does put on a free bus that will take you to Bugibba every 30 mins and there are 3 buses that take you to the main sites such as the ferry terminal for Gozo, or to the Capital La Valletta that pass by the hotel just as regularly. There is also a night bus service X1 that runs from the main resorts of St Julien past the hotel too. I think the last bus is around 2am. So you aren't as isolated as it first appears.

I did use the mini shop which has most of what you might need. For anything else, I'd recommend a trip to La Valletta. I also tried their massage service, which I enjoyed a lot! You can either have it in your room or a special room (although be advised, they can be very busy, and during my massage, I was frequently disturbed by people knocking on the door or just walking straight in...). If you can, you'll have more privacy in your own room and of course you can then just climb into your bed to sleep of the effects of the after massage. I do recommend the massage service. I had a few knots thoroughly worked out of me! Thanks!

I'm not sure though, if I'd come back... perhaps!

Room Tip: Again, if possible ask for a room facing the bay, which is pretty.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

We reviewed your comments regarding your stay with us at the Coastline Hotel.Kindly accept our most sincere apologies for causing any disappointment during your stay. In our attempt to improve this hotel, we will certainly take your feedback into consideration.

Sincerely
Martha Micallef

Been to Coastline Hotel? Share your experiences!