“Bugibba Hotel” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Bugibba Hotel

You added Bugibba Hotel to your Saves list
Bugibba Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Tourist Street | Triq It- Turisti, Bugibba, Island of Malta SPB 05, Malta   |
Ranked #8 of 16 Hotels in Bugibba
London
“Bugibba Hotel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2012

I have never left a review before but felt that I needed to as the hotel has received some awful reviews and I didnt find this during my stay.
We arrived back on Friday from 12 nights at the hotel, We had a 2 bed apt and 1 bed apt booked, on arrival they didnt have the reservation for the 1 bed apt but this was soon rectified, However the next morning they asked the guests in the one bed to change rooms and they were offered half board and free wifi for the inconvenience, what can I say they were pleased with the offer and happy with the alternative room offered.
I was in room 203 and got up early everyday and we had a view of the pool and witnessed the pool area was scrubbed clean and the pools itself were cleaned and the water checked twice daily. I cannot complain about the cleanliness of the area, and the white surface scum you see in the pool before its cleaned is because people do not shower before entering the pool and its a build up of suncream.
The pool guys were great and worked very hard and were around all day, If the area was extreamley wet they would sweep the water away to the drains but this is something that is out of their control and the area can be quite slippery, Maybe something the hotle needs to look in to.
The Pizzeria was open every evening and serves some lovely pizza's, during the day the pool bar is open for drinks and snacks. I cannot comment on the hotel restaurant as I never ate in there myself, but the couple who was upgraded to half board never had any complaints and said it was sufficient for their needs.
The Evening Entertainment could be better and maybe cater more for families, The Karoke lady very good but the comedian the abba tribute were not great and people were leaving during the performance, you may have more people stay around in the evening if the entertainment was better quality, maybe have a something for children.
During the day also it might have been better to have some music or entertainment during the day around the pool areas.
Our apartment was sufficient for what we needed, yes a bit tired but its to be expected its an old hotel. Our toilet seat broke one day we reported it in the morning and by the afternoon it was fixed. We never experienced any cockroaches or bugs in our room either.
The reception staff are very helpful and were always very willing to help with any questions, the bar staff again were very helpful.
Jacks bar has a fantastic selection of drinks and are reasonable priced for a hotel and we spent many an evening here as it was reasonable and convenient.
Overall I think the hotel is good value for money, No its not the ritz but I didnt pay to expect the ritz. I would recommend the hotel and would consider staying here again if we went back to Malta.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Dean M, Manager at Bugibba Hotel, responded to this review, August 28, 2012
I would like to start off by thanking you for the very nice comments left above.

I am very happy to hear that you have left our hotel fully satisfied and also that you are considering coming over once more. This for us it the best thank you ever.

We still have a long way to go however we are on the right track and I believe that we are getting there. Most guests leave our hotel with a sense of good value for money which at this time is our aim.

I would also like to thank you for the nice comments left about our staff. They are doing an extremely good job and we are very proud of them.

Whilst I thank you once again, we look forward to see you here with us in the near future.

Sales Executive

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (337)
  • Polish first
Southport, England
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

Just had a one week stay in The Bugibba Hotel from 4th August 2012. The hotel is meant to be rated at 3 stars, being kind I would say that it would struggle to make 2 stars. It seems to me that the hotel was being run in crisis management with everything being done on a reactive basis and nothing pro-active. Our room was pretty disgusting with dirty floors in the bathroom, smashed electrical sockets (240V), no working air conditioning, no shelves or surfaces in the bathroom to store anything (most of our toiletries were kept on the floor), no television, view out the window was a disused and filthy shaft. The hotel was advertised as having 4 pools but for the majority of the time we were there two were out of order, the main indoor pool and jacuzzi for the whole of August. The remaining two pools if you looked at them at night had scum floating on the top and you couldn't see the bottom as they were so cloudy. Cleaning around the pool area was extremely superficial with numerous cracked and broken tiles and dirty tide marks. It was interesting to note that there was a set of rules for the pool area every one of which were broken whilst we were there and none were enforced. It took 3 days of complaints about the broken air conditioning in the room before we eventually got a fan however they did fix the lethal mains socket immediately. On the positive side the food, although limited in choice was of quite good quality and the fully inclusive drinks were also good, the red wine with the meal being one of the best I have had in any fully inclusive. The staff were generally very friendly and did their best but seemed to be fighting a loosing battle with all the complaints. It made good entertainment to sit in reception and listen to some of the arguments. We even offered to pay extra to have an uprated room however "none were available". Needless to say we will not be hurrying back soon.

Room Tip: To get a good room, don't choose it from this hotel !!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Dean M, Manager at Bugibba Hotel, responded to this review, August 23, 2012
I woudl like to start off by thanking you for the time taken to write the above post.

I must however clarify that you had bookd an economy room and that is the main reason why your room was quite small and lacked certain things.

When it comes to the pool, at the moment we have over 1000 people staying at the hotel and thus that is why in some cases the pool area is a bit dirty. However this is cleaned every morning at 5.30am by our staff.

The water of the pool is checked daily for Ph levels so to ensure that the water is safe for swimming.

Sales Executie
Dublin, Ireland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2012

We came back from our holiday last night and I feel I have to write a review on Trip Advisor (never having done so before). I have noticed that the manager of the Bugibba Hotel has been replying to reviews and find this particularly interesting since any time we asked to speak to him, he was "unavailable".

We arrived at The Bugibba Hotel on the 11th August. First impressions were that it is your typical budget hotel - and seeing as this is what we paid for, we had no qualms with this. However, upon booking our hotel we paid extra for a double bed and requested a pool view. When we were shown to our room, we were so disappointed. Our room overlooked the street and the double bed that we booked and PAID FOR was simply two twin beds pushed together. they weren't even the same height! We went downstairs and the receptionist said there was nothing she could do as the hotel was full. We didn't accept this though, and asked her to look again - and sure enough, we were shown to a second room. The second room was the EXACT same room! We went back down and she had another look at the system, and sure enough there was another room available. The third room had a pool view but the "double bed" we had paid for again was two single beds pushed together and there was also plaster and paint coming off the wall (it looked really disgusting) so we went back downstairs AGAIN to be told they would put a double bed in the room the following day. We asked to speak to a manager but he was unavailable. Bearing in mind, this is only what we booked and PAID for - we weren't looking for upgrades or freebies! Anyway, after 2 and a half hours from the time we arrived at the hotel after a long day's travelling, we were finally checked in. The double bed never was installed in our room but we were sick of going to reception already at that stage so we left it.

The room itself is in need of refurbishing. The beds are old, the sheets do not fit the beds and we woke up to discover we were touching off the disgusting, old, stained mattress. The bathroom is small but adequate. Our air conditioning unit began leaking heavily and we had to ask for extra towels to mop up the excess water off the floor as there was no maintenance person available when we reported it. We slept the night badly hearing a "drip drip drip" all night long.

The maid service, it has to be said, is very good. We always returned in the evening to a cleaned room with fresh towels, and this was very much appreciated.

The lifts is a joke - it takes forever to come and frequently breaks. We took the stairs a lot.

On checking out, we asked for a late check-out as our flight wasn't leaving until 9pm. We were told there was no chance, and after all the disappointments, we asked again to speak to a manager but again, he was unavailable. We were told we could have an extra hour, but in that extra hour, 4 different people burst into our room. A complete farce! Then to add insult to injury, we went to buy a cold drink from a machine as we were leaving and the machine swallowed our money - and the hotel refused to reimburse us! They said the machine didn't belong to them and there was nothing they could do - even though the machine is in their hotel lobby, and the girl behind reception said that this happens regularly.

Overall, this was a disappointing experience. It's the only holiday we will get all year and even though we booked a budget hotel, The Bugibba Hotel is not up to standard. The location is the only thing going for it - it is very close to the square in Bugibba, which is handy. This hotel is not suitable for couples without children - there is no hope of relaxing by the pool with the hundreds of children running around! If you're looking for a relaxing break, pick somewhere else, and even if you DO have children - pick somewhere else!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Dean M, Manager at Bugibba Hotel, responded to this review, August 20, 2012
I would like to start off by thanking you for the time taken to write the above post.

However I would like to clarify some of the points mentioned above.

You shouldn't have paid extra for the double bed. If the Tour Operator with whom you booked charged you extra money for this he made a mistake. The hotel doesn't ask for any extra payment for this.

The pool view REQUEST you made was as said a request. This means that we will give you a pool view if available. This is due to the fact that if someone pays for a pool view instead of a simple request, they will obviously get the priority.

When it cmes to the lifts, if you consider that we have more than 1000 people in the hotel it is normal that the lift will take some time to come to your floor.

I do however apologise for the A/C dripping.

The last thing I would like to mention is that even though I am very busy I always find time to speak to guests as can be proved by the below reviews. It might be that I ask the guests to wait for me for 15 minutes which I believe is not so much to ask.

Whilst I thank you again for the above, I hope the above points have clarified everything for you.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2012

Me and the love of my life stayed for a week from the second of August .we had no problem with staff aircon or our room every one we spoke to who worked for the hotel was pleasant and helpful .we never ate at the hotel so can not comment on that .as for the students that's just youngsters having fun and did not affect us we where all young once and I was a lot worse than that . The only down point was the entertainment which was not upto much but we did go to another hotel for a drink and the entertainment there was just as bad so maybe it's like that every where need to do more on that score to catch up with Spain .Apart from that we really enjoyed our stay and would definitely go back .

Stayed August 2012
Dean M, Manager at Bugibba Hotel, responded to this review, August 25, 2012
I would like to thank you for the the nice comments you have left above.

I am very happy to hear that you have enjoyed your stay here with us. This is very important for us especially when hearing that you are looking forward to coming back.

As I always say, our main aim at this point is to offer our guests good value for money and I believe that we are managing to do so even though there are still some things which need refining.

Whilst I thank you once again, I look forward to seeing you here with us very soon.

Louth, England, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2012

1) I booked and paid for 2 x 2 bed apartments with kitchen and bathroom on a half board basis and we were allotted 2 x 1 bed apartments, which were totally unsuitable for ages and gender in our party.The hotel staff were very unhelpful and just stated that they couldn't change our rooms as the Hotel was full. I pointed out that I had booked this holiday in March, 5 months ago and that I expected to get the apartments I had paid for.They refused to change our rooms, and they just insisted that the hotel was full. I requested to see the Manager and was introduced to the reception manager, the General Manager kept well out of the way until our last day at the hotel, when he appeared with a photographic team, doing a promotion on the Hotel and when I asked to speak to him, he was too busy doing his promotion and eventually disappeared altogether.

2) The air conditioning was only operational in the reception area and the dining room and all other areas were extremely hot and unbearable. We could not spend any time whatsoever in the room because of the extreme discomfort and heat and had to spend most of our holiday sitting in the reception area trying to keep cool.

3) The bathroom and kitchen of our apartment was infested with Cockroaches and the lounge infested with Silver Fish and cockroaches.

4)The toilet rocked about when you sat on it until it eventually tipped over and the pipes flooded the bathroom and the rest of the apartment. Twice the maintenance team supposedly fixed it to the floor.I have several photographs (attached)

5) The ceiling over the bath was falling down and bits of plaster kept falling into the bath.

6) The ceilings in the apartments were constructed of slatted plastic material with 1 inch gaps between the slats, dust, cobwebs, cockroaches and other foreign bodies fell through the slats onto our food and toiletries and clothes and beds. It was disgusting and I would not expect an animal to have to live in these conditions.

7) I Cut my arm on bathroom door handle which was sharp.

8) Hotel did not have an accident book.

9)Two windows opened onto an internal shaft which went down to the ground from the sixth floor, with lagged pipes etc, very dangerous for children.

10) none of the sockets or switches were level with holes showing in the wall behind them and one plug socket was higher than the top of the door frame.

11) There was also an area with bare wires poking out of a plug socket hole.The plug facia was missing !

12) fixtures and fittings were very old and dilapidated with bits of trim missing etc.

We contacted the reception staff and complained on a daily basis at the Hotel, but they were unwilling to resolve the matter and advised us to complain upon our return home.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Dublin, Ireland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012

We spent a fortnight in this hotel and I wouldn't recommend for others. The only good thing is that it is cheap. My husband and I didn't spend much time in the hotel, only needed a good comfy bed, a bathroom, edible food for breakfast and for dinner, and air conditioning at night. We're really not picky people or have high expectations from an obviously cheap hotel.
Here's what we've got:
- Noisy room. We were placed on the 3rd floor which is almost at the same level as the street. No problem, we can close the balcony door, wouldn't be a problem. Unfortunately, the noise came from the corridor where school kids were running up and down and knocking on every door at midnight. Well, this is not the hotel's fault...
- The air conditioner did not work at night. First we thought it was broken but later the receptionist told us that between midnight and 6am the air conditioning system is switched off in the entire hotel (!). So, for 13 nights we were rolling in our own sweat in bed waking up every 45 minutes. My husband on the third night borrowed a small fan from reception which helped stirring the hot air in the room.
- Breakfast is very basic, only hard boiled eggs, beans, same cheese and cold meat every day.
- Dinner is like half carvery style half all you can eat (or not eat) style. The carvery chef looked very unhappy when I asked for a second piece of meat. No complaints about this whatsoever. The rabbit was tasty.
-Our room was cleaned every day, the water pressure was good in the bathroom.
Malta is a fantastic place with beautiful beaches, good food and friendly people. I will definitely go back only I'll be more careful to choose accomodation in the future. Hotel Bugibba is a low budget hotel and I'm just grateful I didn't go for the all inclusive option. Once again it is cheap and you will exactly get what you've paid for.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Annie,

I would like to thank you for the time taken to write the above post.

We believe that what we offer at The Bugibba Hotel is good value for money. Whilst for the time being our services are not 4 star standard we believe that we meet the 3 star standard promised when one books with us.

We are in the process of improving our services and this is being done on a daily basis. Even though we wrae not perfect we are receiving very good comments from our guests and this makes us happy and gives us more energy to continue doing what we are doing.

Southport
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2012

Firstly to all the negativity- it is not a Five star hotel ( and to some critics above there is no need to swear). However, it does need a refurb. There is an air of 'fire fighting' with many demands made on the hard working staff... Who do their best to keep up with guest complaints.You just need to sit it the air conditioned reception to hear what they have to put up with. Some complaints are justified (eg. Air conditioning not working in room) whilst some are just moans (air conditioning in reception too cold!)
A quick resume based on my personal experience may clarify-
- staff very friendly, helpful where they can be,hardworking.
- All Inclusive perfectly acceptable. Breakfast a little repetitive- only beans and eggs were
offered as hot food and I am surprised to learn ( above) that actually English breakfast can
be ordered ( for an extra charge) as this was not apparent whilst we were there, but there was always cereal, breads
Toast, yogurts, salads, so there was plenty of choice. (Maybe this option can be highlighted in the restaurant ) Dinner was very good- always a chicken
dish, fish dish, other meat dish, pasta every night and a good range of salads, with very good,
pleasant, smiley staff serving and cleaning. The AI house wine was the best local wine I ve ever had on this type of board- a good Maltese red.
- swimming pool area could be cleaner. I only witnessed a hose pipe used once over the week.
What is disgusting though, is that some smokers feel it is perfectly acceptable to use the soil in
the plant pots and flower borders as their personal ash trays- but this is not the staff's fault. Why
should they pick up fag ends from irresponsible, selfish smokers?
- swimming hours should be restricted to say 6.30 pm. Whilst we were watching the entertainment
( after 9pm), someone was swimming then had a shower next to us which soaked us all. If people were requested to leave the pool at a reasonable hour, staff could clean the area and terraces.
The pool rules are written for all to see but there does not appear to be anyone on hand to
reinforce the policy.
- bedroom was very dark and at the back of the hotel but was very clean with daily clean towels
BUT this was our fault for booking an economy room. There were no upgrades
available as the hotel was full but I would recommend at least a standard room if you book early.
- bar staff were great, especially Robert, a true professional! I accept what the family above say
about the spirit singles- this does need sorting out as Jack's bar served doubles no problem at
all? The problem there, was the shortage of glasses. I accept that people wander around the
Hotel with their drinks which in turn leads to a shortage but for the cost of a couple of boxes
of glasses, it would help the bar staff and keep them behind the bar at its busiest times, instead
Of them having to leave their post to collect empties to wash quickly, to use again.

I can' t praise the staff enough though- they did their best at all times. Just bear in mind,this is a budget hotel and all things considered, offers good value for money.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Dean M, Manager at Bugibba Hotel, responded to this review, August 20, 2012
I would like to thank you for the very nice comments left above.

I would also like to thank you for the very nice comments left about our staff. They are truely a gem and we are proud of each and every staff member who works here.

I am very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay here with us. I would also like to thank you for the constructive ctrisism left above.

I promise you that all comments will be taken into consideration to further improve or service.

Whilst I thank you once again, we look forward to seeing you here with us in the near future.

Sales Executive

Been to Bugibba Hotel? Share your experiences!