“Disgusting rooms, rude staff, awful location” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Bugibba Hotel

You added Bugibba Hotel to your Saves list
Bugibba Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Tourist Street | Triq It- Turisti, Bugibba, Island of Malta SPB 05, Malta   |
Ranked #8 of 16 Hotels in Bugibba
“Disgusting rooms, rude staff, awful location”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2012 via mobile

This hotel is probably the worst hotel I've ever stayed in!

When we first got to the apartment it looked ok, big with everything we needed, 2 bedrooms, living area, kitchen, bathroom. Decor was outdated but to be expected for the price! What we didn't expect was...

The ants crawling all over the floor! Seemed to be coming from underneath a cabinet that had dirt including old food underneath.

Broken lights so rooms were very dark.

Dirty cutlery in kitchen with nothing to wash them up with, be prepared to buy your own sponges & washing up liquid. Not only was this cutlery dirty but there was 3 forks & only 1 knife (4 of us staying) so clearly nothing gets replaced.

Stains in the bath.

So we were all really angry & upset but decided to have a smoke to calm down (no ashtrays either so used a bowl from the dirty cabinet) & went to speak to reception.

The staff are SO RUDE! The lady was nice when she was trying to sell us excursions as soon as we walked through the door but now she was sighing with a look of disinterest and annoyance on her face. She was like this for the rest of the week (also liked to shout at the cleaners down the phone in front of customers which was horrible).

Long story short we got more cutlery & glasses from the housekeepers who were a bit nicer but never got the ant problem sorted. We asked for ant killer all week & they kept saying someone would bring some but after waiting hours on end every other day, we finally went to buy some ourselves (made do with pouring boiling hot water over the ants prior to this).

THIS WAS NOT AN ISOLATED INCIDENT!!! The people next door had ants crawling all over their room too & there was a new complaint every day at reception, handled with the same lack of care by rude reception staff.

Please don't stay here, it truly is awful & not worth it!!! This is the first bad review I have ever written for a hotel, I'm really not a moaner but this place needs to be fumigated, have a facelift & get different staff before it's even semi decent.

Location is also awful. Nothing to do in Bugibba apart from eat at some average/poor restaurants (service is shocking) & sing karaoke (you can't escape this, it's everywhere).

St Julian's (Paceville) is ok for nightlife, loads of shisha bars! Only one small strip so if you like a really lively night out don't go here.

Rabat also has a great 'club' called Gianpula, 2 open air clubs in one complex. Playing dance music, best night we had out there.

4 females aged 20-27, booked for 10 days.

• Stayed September 2011
Dean M, Manager at Bugibba Hotel, responded to this review, April 25, 2012
I am very sorry that your experience here with us didn't meet your expectations.

I would like to apologise most of all for the level of room cleanliness found in your room to which we have taken immediate action. This will not happen again. You have my word.

I would like to, however clarify, were you mentioned that our staff was rude. The person you have mentioned that was selling excursions is not our personel however, she is part of another company, who sell excurions at our hotel. I still would like to apologise for her actions, even though we have no control over her attitude. This complaint was passed on to her superiors, which I hope will take action form their end.

With regards to the ants found in your room, I am promising you and all our prospective guests that we have phoned the professional people who take care of this issue and will start to do the treatmant every 2 weeks instead of every month.

Whilst I apologise once again, I hope that we will have the pleasure to see you here with us once again

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (337)
  • Polish first
hampshire
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2012

my best friend and i came here for a few nights away relaxing in the sun before my wedding in a few weeks time,and it was hell!!!we checked in at 11am and was told our room was not ready till 2pm which was fine so we went by the pool,we had to walk through what can only be described as a building site,with low hanging cables from ceiling, paint pots, drillls ,furniture, dusty floors and general debris.we were told where to go and use the lift which did not even work so we had to go down 3 flights of stairs.we went back at 2 and were told the room was just being inspected and to come back in half an hour,we therefore went to the the shop to stock up on essentials as we were self catering.when we arrived back they said the room would not be ready for another hour and a half.this is when i lost my temper and asked for a room that we could atleast havea shower in as we had been up since 2am travelling,they told me to use the toilet in reception which was filthy and had a soaking wet floor due to a leak.the manager finally came over after been called numerous times by the receptionist as he was too busy instructing how to hang up curtains!!!!he said we could have a hotel room and he would let us know when our room is ready,it was on the 7th floor and again the lifts did not work.we got to the room and it stunk of damp and mould ,which was all over the wall,and generally gross.he finally came to our room 2 hours later to say our refurbished room was ready and a light would be fitted tomorrow .when we got to the dreaded room 616 after going upstairs and downstairs with suitcases we were met with a horrible room no hot water,a kitchen that did not work,no pillows,no duvet covers,no tv and a slanting balcony,when reported we were told we had been put on the maintenace list and was given half board vouchers,the only thing that was fixed was the water which instead of freezing was scalding hot!!!we decided to try the restaurant that evening and as i have allergies i asked the chef what i could eat,he just laughed shrugging his shoulders and walked off.we were woken up by builders every morning at 7am i feel really angry as i should be refreshed and feeling good after a break away.my advice is never go here,thankgod it was only two nights we were there 15-17th of april!!!!!we do have photos that i will be uploading!!

Room Tip: never ever stay here and definatly not room 616!!!
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Dean M, Manager at Bugibba Hotel, responded to this review, April 23, 2012
First of all I would like to apologise for not so good experience you have had whilst staying at The Bugibba Hotel. I apologise aswell for the delay taken for giving you the room upon check in. This unfortunately rarely happens and I am very sorry that in this case this happened to you. The problem for this was that since the guest staying in the apartment before you opted for a late check out we had this delay. Unfortunately we couldn’t give you another apartment due to the high occupancy we have at the moment.

After discussing your issue with the person with whom you spoke, he told me that even though he had given you a temporary room for you to have a shower and relax for some time, he also told you that this room, even though everything is functional it was a bit mouldy. Since you accepted this, since it was for just a couple of hours he gave this room.

I can see that even though your originally booked room was given you rightfully had some things which you didn’t like. Starting off with the maintenance issues such as hot water and light which were not fixed after being reported, I would have kindly asked you to report this issue once again and the person responsible would have been spoken to and from your end you would have gotten your problems fixed.

When it comes to the problem you had at the restaurant with one of our chefs, please rest assured that this person was spoken to and all the necessary measures were taken in this regard.

The last thing you mentioned were the building works. To be honest with you this came as a surprise to me since all major building works have stopped and thus no more noise should be heard and infact we are not having any complaints with regards to the refurbishment.

Whilst I apologise once again for the problems which have risen, I hope that you will give us the opportunity to remedy the situation and we will see you here again.
dublin
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2012

My wife and I booked a weeks self catering apartment at The Bugibba Hotel from Friday the 6th - 13th April. When we arrive there were extensive renovations going on. The reception area had temporary partitions and part of the ceiling was open as there had been work going on there previously. As we were going to our apartment the corridors were dusty and there was a smell of paint and white spirits. There were doors lying against the walls ready for painting. There had also been work carried out on a lift shaft in this area with temporary hording outside. We were on the 6th floor and when we got the lift it had dust and cement on the floor. The corridor outside our room had no lighting which made it difficult to see safely. There was also a fire extinguisher on the floor which made the area look like a fire risk. What a great start! But worse was to come. When we entered our apartment there was no furniture in the livingroom other than a cabinet for glasses and a tiny television. In the kitchen there were no utensils or crockery of any sort. The fridge had what looked like burn marks on the door and the windows had paint splattered on them. The beds had quilts but no covers. In the hallyway there were two electrical circuitbreakers with no cover. When we complained were offered half board. It was Saturday night before any furniture was put into the apartment. This consisted of two chairs and a round table which I am sure was from a balcony somewhere in the complex. What an insult! We rang our Travel agent and they got us out of there to another hotel on Sunday Avoid this hotel at all costs.

Dean M, Manager at Bugibba Hotel, responded to this review, April 18, 2012
I would like to really apologise for the bad experience you had here with us. Unfortunately as already explained the refurbishment which was going on at the hotel during your stay was due to the delay from our outside contractors which were doing the works. However I would like to assure evryone seeing this post that the refurbishment is now ready and hotel operations are back to normal.

This delay has obviously effected all of our operations including the self catering apartments which you have stayed in.

For all of this I duly apologise and I can promise everyone that these things will not happen again.

I would like to have the pleasure of seeing you back here with us so that you with your own eyes that things have drastically improved.

sales Executive
birmingham
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2012

we arrived at the hotel on the evening of the 7th april 2012 at around 2130hrs.The receptionist told us that our accomdation self catering was not available but we had been upgraded to half board.So something we wanted we did not get,and what we didnt want we did get.We were then told we were on the 7th floor ,and told to get the second lift.As the first lift was being rebuilt we didnt have any choice,when we got to the lift it wasnt working,I am 60 years of age and both myself and my wife cannot climb that many stairs,so back to reception and eventually the security gave use a ground floor room but told us to speak to reception the following day.When we did the next day a very curt balding man in a suit told us we would have to move out and it was back to the 7th floor for us.We tried the breakfast twice and the evening meal twice that was more than enough.the food was awful and repetative and sometimes unidentifiable. Then monday came and so did the workmen at 0800hrs,working on the lift which was outside our door they also shouted to each other down the shaft and along the corridor
not much rest for us then. Large amount of youths on school trips who were very noisy also dinnot help. We now come to the last day when our phone rang in the room at 1130hrs,told we should have been out of the room at 1100hrs,nobody mentioned this to us at anytime until the phone rang. We visited this hotel 6 years ago,and it is now a poor shadow of what it was.I would say if you advertise and book rooms they should be available and you should have to compete with workmen for the lift and avoid painters in the reception.My advice therefore is to give this hotel a miss at least for this year and I would then read the reveiws.The management invited us to a meeting to discuss the hotels shortcomings on the wednesday before we came home,to little to late I would have preferred that they didnt put us in the position in the first place,so overall to sum up dreadful.

Room Tip: as the whole hotel was a worksite i find this difficult
Dean M, Manager at Bugibba Hotel, responded to this review, April 18, 2012
I would like to apologise on behalf of the satff and management of The Bugibba Hotel for the bad experience you had whilst on holiday here with us.

I am very sorry that we were overbooked on the day of your arrival and that is why we tried to redeem ourselves by upgrading you to half board basis. I am very sorry that this was not up to your liking and for this I apologise.
With regards to the work going on I can tell you that this work has now finished and no more refurbishing is going on. What you saw when you came here was the unplanned refurbishment which we had to do due to some problems which arose and we did not have any control over.

With regards to the invitation for a meeting, I would have loved for you to have been able to come and meet us since in one way or another we would have managed to solve the problem as already happened.

Whilst I apologise once again, I really hope that we will have the pleasure to meet you once again and thus give us a chance to redeem ourselves

Runcorn
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2012

we arived last Saturdayand got home this evening (14th april) and did not get a one room apartment as per our booking, we should have actually got a 2 bedroomed apartment but agreed on a one bed).The manager offered to meet 'guests' and gave us chance to air our views.He rightly said that the building work has gone on longer than expected and not the hotel's fault which I have full sympathy with . He offered us a free tea tray for the rest of the week.This never appeared. Apart from finding 2 cockroaches in our room, the room were spacious and clean, the food was good and staff friendly, hotel in good location.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Dean M, Manager at Bugibba Hotel, responded to this review, April 16, 2012
Whilst I would like to start off by apologising about the tea tray incident, I can promise you that the day after we had our meeting I personally advised my staff to bring up a tea tray to your room however this was not done and the person responsable got what he or she deserved.

I would also like to apologise with regards to the insects found in your room. I would like to point out that every month we get professional personell who take care of this issue and of this we have records.

With regards to meeting with you and other guests I personally believe that this is very important and like this apart from hearing out guests face to face over a drink we can also build a friendly relationship which is essential in today's world.

I am happy that your overall experience at the Bugibba Hotel was a good one and even though we are not perfect we are aiming for perfection and slowly slowly we are getting there.

Whilst I hope that we see you here with us once again pleae do not hesitate to contact me personally on dean.mangion@thebugibba.com should you need anything else

nelson
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2012

.Stayed at Bugibba Hotel end March/early April. It was supposed to have work done to rooms etc. The first room we were offered was awful, it overlooked the road, the balcony was very small and it was very unwelcoming. I must say the reception staff were very helpful, we asked for a room change and ended up with a studio overlooking the pool (very shabby). The room was not too bad, very basic, the bathroom was acceptable. We used the cooker the day after we arrived and it blew and knocked all lights off. Must say the maintenance man was very quick to come and fix it. He fixed it temporarily and the next day we tried to use it and same thing happened. The maintenance man came and said he would replace the cooker the next day.
He did so, but we never tried to use it after that.

On our stay, mintenance people were all over doing various jobs. They even took out one of the lifts to replace it, and it made a right mess in the corridor with all the dust. On our final week they were working in reception - what a mess.

I can only say you get what you pay for - very basic . I did find the reception staff very helpful.

The good point is that the Hotel is very handy for bus station and we had a few meals at Mr Pickwicks restaurant just down the road and found it very good and very friendly.

Dean M, Manager at Bugibba Hotel, responded to this review, April 13, 2012
I am sorry to hear that even though you were overall happy with your experience here, some things made your experience less satisfying.

I would like to inform you and all other guests looking at this post that all refurbishing going on will be ready by today the 13th of April.

I am sorry about the tiny mess which the changing of the lift caused however this had to be done and I am sorry it effected your stay.

With regards to the room change you had I am happy that the maintanace staff were at your disposale however I am less happy that 2 cookers caused problems and I promise that I will look into this myself.

Whilst I appreciate the comments left above, I hope we will see you here with us once again and I promise that the next time your experience will be much better

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2012

We arrived on 3rd. April, by taxi, having been forgotten to be met by the Mercury direct rep, we found the hotel to be a building site, the staff we found to be helpful and showed us how to get to our room, which was quite an adventure. Our room was spacious, however the beds were made up of basic plywood, 2ft. 6. inches wide, with a three foot mattress on top, which during our stay meant leaning too far over to reach the bedside table, the unsupported part of the mattress would give way! Be aware, there is no kettle provided in the room, but you can hire one, we took our own.We complained about lack of cold water in the sink to the reception staff on three occasions, but nothing was done at all. The food was very repetitious each day. Entertainment only at weekends, daily happy hour is in the bar.The hotel very convenient for the bus station and the beach, with excellent bus services all around the Island, purchase a seven day ticket, great value for 12.euros.On conclusion, the staff worked very hard to please, but there were a lot of rowdy children and guests to deal with, which made things difficult for all concerned. Overall, our holiday was enjoyable.

Room Tip: Try to book a room overlooking the pool, as these will be less noisy away from the main road, which...
Dean M, Manager at Bugibba Hotel, responded to this review, April 13, 2012
I am very happy to hear that your experience at The Bugibba Hotel was a good one.

I am sorry however with the disturbance due to the refurbishment, which however is going to be finished today the 13th of April.

Whilst I thank you once again for the nice comments you left above, I look forward to welcome you once again.

Sales Executive

Been to Bugibba Hotel? Share your experiences!