“Does exactly what it says on the tin......” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Coral Hotel

You added Coral Hotel to your Saves list
Coral Hotel
3.0 of 5 Small Hotel   |   Pioneer Road, Bugibba, Island of Malta SPB, Malta   |
Ranked #5 of 7 Bugibba B&B and Inns
norwich
“Does exactly what it says on the tin......”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2014

Just got back from a week in Malta and stayed at the Coral, 1.11.02---8.11.14.
Ok so we should have stayed at the Carifor, but received a call 2 days before travelling to say it was fully booked and we were being moved to the Coral Hotel.
Now after reading all the comments on this hotel I did panic a little...Landfill came to mind after the reports.
To be honest....You get what you pay for,If you want the Plazza..Pay the price for it!!!!
This hotel was clean, Every day the maid came in with clean towels, changed the beds, washed the floors, emptied the bin. Beds were comfortable, we had a lovely patio area to sit outside.
There was not noise either . The pool area is lovely, clean, nice seating area, both in the sun and the shade.
The staff are fantastic, so helpful, friendly and kind. Nothing was too much for them.
The food....Was basic, we were All Inclusive.
Breakfast consisted of cereals, yogurt, jams, eggs, sausages, fried breed and toast, occasionally bacon.
Lunch......Awful..Such a limited choice, They do provide a packed lunch also.
Dinner.......Different choice most evening, salad daily, Pasta, Rice, Fish, Meat, Potatoes.

Negatives.....I emailed this hotel and the whole group which is Medhotels, stating that I am Coeliac and require a gluten free menu, they never responded, on arrival I told the receptionist that I require a gluten free diet who assured me this was not a problem.
Unfortunately it took them 3 days to provide the correct food for me after losing my temper, By this time the damage was done to the my system and ruined my holiday.before anyone jumps on the band wagon, Coeliacs is not a fad diet its a medical condition.
I asked for fruit for breakfast as I knew I would be safe with this and told they do not provide fruit for breakfast.
Also this hotel is dead in the evening, it does not provide any entertainment,They have a tv screen that plays football every night, although they provide a car to take you to the Carifor you can not use your AI ticket for drinks at the other hotel. even though they're from the same group. Even if they had a quiz night once a week would have been better than nothing.
I would defiantly visit Malta again, but not stay at this hotel
I do think with a little TLC and listening to the guests this hotel could be lovely....!!!!
I did not take any daft photos of a little paint peeling...Personally I think this is ridiculous!
I would not suggest this hotel for the young, there is nothing to do.
The elderly would benefit from this hotel, as it is very quiet and they could sit and have a drink in the evening without being disturbed.

• Stayed November 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
  • Polish first
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2014

Good location for hotel, 10 min walk to square where all the bars and shops are. Also right next door to cinema where all the current films are shown in English. Hotel is basic, rooms very basic with toilet, fridge which you have to rent and also a ceiling fan - which is not that good. Air conditioning available at the desecration of the management. Not good when boiling hot out side and you want to cool down. My main complaint would be lack of cold air. Rooms cleaned ever day and clean towels daily. Rooms at back of hotel do not have a good view, so if possible request a front of hotel room. Food is very good always plenty there, breakfast and dinner served in resturant, lunch served in the bar. Staff are very friendly and happy to help. Pool is on the roof very secluded and quiet.
Hotel located next to bus stops and also close to bus station.

• Stayed June 2014
Aberdeenshire, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2014

A nice hotel, but badly needs a refurb, we stayed for four nights half board, the breakfast was plain no fresh fruit or tomatoes or a selection of pastries the bacon was all fat, dinner was nothing exciting either. The staff were very friendly and helpful would do anything to make your stay comfortable, the drink in the hotel is cheap,only a short walk to sea and the square, bus stop out side. If you book the sight seeing bus through the hotel you can get picked up at the appointed time and taken to the sight seeing bus stop. We stayed in room 202 which is at the back of the hotel and looked on to a wall of another building.

• Stayed November 2014, traveled as a couple
Brighton and Hove, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2014

A nice hotel. The staff were very friendly. A special mention to Teodora, Charlie, Mario, Eugenio and the chef, although he's a Liverpool supporter, Robin.
I can't fault the staff.
The one thing that was disappointing was we paid for an all inclusive holiday but it wasn't really an all inclusive hotel because although the bar was open from 10am to 11pm, there weren't any snacks available. And at dinner the food was dished out for you.
Also there was no fruit available at breakfast.

Room Tip: No problem with the room.
  • Stayed November 2014, traveled as a couple
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2014

The Coral Hotel is well situated for Bugibba seafront. The rooms were clean and reasonably sized. The food was very good. The cleaning staff were excellent. Where the hotel falls down is on personal service. Someone else has commented on the staff's inability to cope with anything out of the ordinary and that's exactly what I found. We had booked for seven guests but in the end only six stayed. I asked if I could check in early for my wife who was arriving in the small hours and was just told 'No.' I got someone else to check into the extra room on the day she arrived, as she was sharing with me anyway, but despite this they still made her fill in unnecessary paperwork at two o'clock in the morning. The shower in my daughter's room didn't work for the first week despite several requests. My daughter asked to move from the fourth floor to the empty room next door to us on the first but the only response was 'No'. The room remained empty. Overall I quite liked the place but others in my party said they didn't want to stay there again.

• Stayed October 2014, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Alpharooms

Athens, Greece
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2014

We have just returned from a weeks holiday staying at the Coral hotel. We stayed half board. The food was ok nothing very exciting but plentiful we never left hungry.
Room 101 awful small and at the back of the hotel and looked out on to a brick wall, we asked to be moved and the lovely receptionist/waitress Theodora got us a room change on the second day. We moved to room 106 at the front of the hotel and it was fine.Also want to mention how lovely and very friendly all the staff were they are an absolute asset to the hotel.the rooms are dated and in need of a modernising as are the bathrooms, but the are spotless housekeeping came in every day and towels were changed daily too.
Drinks in the hotel were cheap €1.50 for a glass of wine.
The hotel is a 5 minute walk from the sea and the main square in bugibba where there are many bars and places to eat.
Just a few doors along from the hotel we found a little bar called the Grapevine which is absolutely worth a visit, music/sport on big screens. Live music on the last Friday of the month which was really good, and staff came round with free hot and cold nibbles throughout the evening too.
There is a bus stop outside the hotel and we bought a weekly ticket for6.50€ each (bargin)which we used to get all over Malta. 31 bus to Valetta X3 bus to madina.
Places to visit Valetta, madina and Rabat are a must also the church at mosta and Selma which has great shopping as well as stunning views across to Valetta.
We loved Malta and the Maltese people. We we stay at the Coral hotel again if we go back to Malta.
We also used A2B transfers very reliable!!!

Room Tip: Rooms at the front are better than rooms at the back. Room 101 is awful. 106 much better.
  • Stayed October 2014, traveled as a couple
Crieff, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2014

Just returned from a 2 weeks holiday in Malta. We have paid around £400 for 2 adults and 2 kids Half Board in this hotel so I wasn't expecting much. The room are very basic. Our room number 203 had some 1970's furniture (but comfy beds), no fridge, the view from the balcony was just a brick wall with the whole bunch of noisy air con fans. Behind the bathroom window was just a gross stinky black hole with some pipes (see photos). Not enough room to store our clothes - just 4 small drawers and a few hangers in the wardrobe. The staff was 50/50. Helpful and hardworking cleaners - Big Thank You and this guy name Charlie - Fantastic. But the hotel's manager was a complete disgrace - unhelpful always grumpy sad old weirdo. The very last day we have been told that we can't go for a dinner because we are already checked out. I had just 2 questions for him during our stay and the answers were I don't know, can't help, no idea, don't have time. I won't write the review about the food because I think it's very individual thing. Eggs on breakfast - every day :-) If someone would like to know something where to go and some interesting places to see or eat in please email me on maciejgnys@yahoo.co.uk. I'll be happy to help

• Stayed October 2014, traveled with family

Been to Coral Hotel? Share your experiences!