“Overbooking shambles - holiday ruined” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Sunny Coast Resort & Spa

You added Sunny Coast Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Sunny Coast Resort & Spa
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   Qawra Road | St. Paul's Bay, Qawra, Island of Malta SPB 1905, Malta   |
Ranked #7 of 16 Hotels in Qawra
Belfast, United Kingdom
“Overbooking shambles - holiday ruined”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2014

After extensive research I booked a 2 bedroom self catering apt for July at Sunny Coast via Onthebeach.co.uk. Myself, my husband + 5 year old son were very excited about our trip - my son especially as he was looking forward to his own bedroom at the hotel.

We had been travelling since noon and arrived at the hotel at approx. 9.30pm - with one very tired 5 year old. I was told that my room was not available due to 'maintenance' and I had been moved to a different hotel without my consent. I was astounded that this could happen as I had not been informed before arrival. I asked to speak to the Hotel Manager however they were unavailable and to be honest, the guy at reception seemed out of his depth as I was so upset. He was unable to help or offer any sort of assistance so we reluctantly took our luggage back to the hire car and set off for our reallocated accommodation - Hotel Santana.

We were so disappointed and upset as it was 1 bedoom - 3 cramped beds - and not self catering. We spent a sleepless night and next day I contacted Onthebeach to try and resolve the matter. The adviser said she would contact Sunny Resort to resolve as they had not been informed of my change of hotel. The whole matter rumbled on over 4 days - by Monday night, we had been advised that a 1 bedroom self catering apt was available at Sunny Beach but by Tuesday lunchtime, the room was then unavailable. Absolutely appalling customer service. We actually didn't unpack and couldn't wait for our holiday to be over to return home.

The whole matter is now under a full investigation but I would like to warn other travellers who might be considering booking Sunny Coast. My husband and I visited a few other hotels and from talking to the locals, they had heard of this happening to other customers who had booked Sunny Coast and who were also let down and disappointed at arrival. It has never happened to me before and I certainly hope it never happens again. Our holiday was ruined - thanks to Sunny Coast Hotel Management. You are an absolute shambles. You could at least have told me the truth and said that the hotel was overbooked, instead of making up a stupid excuse that our room was unavailable due to 'maintenance'.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Pauline_MSant, Manager at Sunny Coast Resort & Spa, responded to this review, August 12, 2014
We would like to thank you for taking the time to write us a review.

We greatly regret that after very careful planning your holiday was not up to your expectations.

We would appreciate if you could contact us privately on gr.sunnycoast@axhotelsmalta.com

We await your email.

Pauline

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (162)
  • Hungarian first
Cambridgeshire, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2014

Looked Ok when we arrived early on a Thursday morning, myself and my husband and our adult daughter we very excited to be having a holiday together. We had booked a 2 bed apartment we a sea view, we thought that we could sign in, go up and change into our holiday clothes and fine somewhere nice for lunch. We we asked to take a seat and have a drink. Over 2 hours later and feeling fed up, my husband went to try to find out just what was happening. A mistake on the computer meant our booking had been lost and they were trying find somewhere for us to stay. It was a nice hotel but not what we wanted at all, large and packed with people, and separate rooms. We wanted a 2 bedroom place that we call sit in together and talk before our daughter moved away for work:(

Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Pauline_MSant, Manager at Sunny Coast Resort & Spa, responded to this review, August 11, 2014
We would like to thank you for taking the time to write a review.

We greatly regret that your holiday was not up to your expectation. The computer error was a huge shock to us as we found ourselves in deep trouble.

Once again we apologise.

Pauline

Travelers are raving about these Qawra hotels

London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2014

Just came back home today after a 15 day stay at Sunny Coast.

Alarm bells rang as we entered the hotel on arrival as there was a family arguing with the receptionist due to the fact they had no room available for them due to overbooking by 'reservations'. We talked to the family whilst reception tried to sort the matter out. There was a 'list' at reception with the names of all the families that did not have a room. Unfortunately our name was also on the list. Charmain the receptionist took us to one side and explained that 'reservations' had overbooked. We were then offered an apartment at their sister hotel just two minutes walk up the road. Apparently as it was Saturday no senior staff were available to explain why this has happened, so we went with the other family to look at the other hotel. The room offered was pleasant enough but was a one bedroom apartment with no kitchen but with the offer of free breakfast. We had booked a two bed self catering apartment (as we had two children). So if we had taken this apartment it would have worked out more expensive. Thus we went back to the Sunny Coast and explained this. To be fair they did come up with a compromise. They did not have a two bedroom apartment for us but offered us two one bed self-catering apartments. It was not ideal as we had single beds not a double and we were two rooms away from the children. Throughout our stay we passed several people in reception who also were in the same predicament and were not happy being moved to another hotel.

The rooms were clean, functional with good facilities and air con so we could not ask for more.

The facilities i.e. gym which is one of the reasons I booked the hotel were quite dated. The cardio machines i.e. bikes were not functional and the treadmills (3) sometimes were working and sometimes were out of order. (I did tell the supervisor). You would think at the beginning of the main season that they would be serviced accordingly. The main machines and free weights were adequate, if you knew what you were doing but there was no-one supervising so, if you were not familiar with using gyms you would struggle. Also as there was no supervision in the gym children were using equipment unsupervised, even though you were supposed to be over 16 to enter.
Similarly the popular indoor pool had lots of young children diving in and out even though children were supposed to be accompanied by an adult.

I did book a neck and should massage for my partner for one evening in the spa but after she waited 30 mins in a hot waiting room she decided to give it a miss.

We had an early flight back to the UK on Sunday morning we paid our bill on Saturday afternoon and booked a taxi to the airport through Charmain for 5:30 am on Sunday morning. By 5:40 no taxi had arrived so we checked with the night receptionist. He phoned the taxi company, but unfortunately Charmain had booked the taxi for Monday! Luckily the taxi company we able to send a driver who was just finishing his shift and we were able to catch a flight home.

In summary, a potential very good hotel but management need to get their act together!

Room Tip: Double check to find if you even have a room.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Pauline_MSant, Manager at Sunny Coast Resort & Spa, responded to this review, August 4, 2014
We would like to thank you for taking the time to write such a lengthy review. We assure you that we take all matters very seriously and will be looking into the full details of your stay.

Thank you for pointing out the cleanliness of the apartments and the functional facilities of the
rooms.

This Winter the gym is going to be changed completely. The plans of the new lay out are ready and the new exercise machines have been ordered.

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2014

I stayed in the appartment of sunny coast in malta for a week. The resort is amazing with really friendly staff, a lobby with free wifi and close to it a pool/gym/spa and restaurants close by. However, we stayed in a room at the street side, and at the ground floor, which gave us very limited daylight. It felt claustrofobic. Beds very soft, outdated furniture. Airconditioning barely worked, but we got a ventilator so that was very friendly of them! The appartment had a well equiped kitchen. Overal it was ok, but not amazing.

Room Tip: Choose a sea side room!!!
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Pauline_MSant, Manager at Sunny Coast Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 31, 2014
Thank you for your review.

So happy to hear you liked our hotel and the facilities.

We are surprised to hear you did not like the apartment allocated to you. Many people request apartments with an inland view to be able to sit outside, watch and understand the way the Maltese people live as they go about their business. You were lucky on the ground floor because you could start up a conversation with a Maltese person easier than being on a higher floor.

Regards.

Abingdon, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2014 via mobile

We had booked and paid extra for a sea-view apartment. On arrival the receptionist said it was more like a bay-view than a sea-view. Not being worried at this stage, we went to the room to find barely any bay-view at all but mostly walls from another building blocking most of the windows. We went back to complain and were told to come back in the morning (it was late). The man said it happens that rooms are overbooked but that a sea-view flat might become available.

Next morning, having slept badly in a stuffy flat (we didn't open windows because it sounded as if the kitchens were someway below us) and having dealt with wobbly fittings in the bathroom, we duly went back to the receptionist on duty. Insisting at first that we actually had a sea-view, she only relented when told that her colleague had confirmed that we did not have a sea-view. There was no other flat available for us. There was no apology, no recognition that we had paid extra for a better view. She said she couldn't deal with our complaint and would have to pass it on to the Reservation Manager. She wrote a note to that effect. When I asked if I could have a copy of it, she refused. She clearly didn't want to help us at all and became obstructive.

We found somewhere else to live as the flat was really uncomfortable, noisy with terrible views. In the next few days, I made daily calls to get the Reservation Manager, Daphne Caruana, give us a refund. She promised it would be done via Expedia. Whenever I asked for an update, she said she waiting to hear back from Expedia and that there was nothing more she could do. We then struggled to get hold Ms Caruana. When I rang one time, I was told she was out for the morning. When my husband called 2 mins later, he was put through to her.

I then decided to take matters into my own hand and phoned Expedia directly. I then learned that they had never heard about this. They were quite appalled, were very apologetic and took matters in their own hands. 15mins later they called to say that refund would be processed. It was duly received as they had promised.

I can only conclude that Sunny Coast Resort had lied about the refund and had tried to fob us off with an inferior room. They no concern about reputation and customer care. A place to avoid out of principle! It almost ruined our holiday and only the find of a terrific B&B in Naxxar rescued our stay.

I write this review 10 months after the event. We had such a bad time I still feel it's worth recording this. Things might have improved since then of course.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Firstly I would like to thank you for your review. We take any feedback very seriously and I will be doing my best to look into this matter.

In saying this however you write to us 10 months after departing when in fact the staff in question namely Daphne does not work with us anymore, therefore she cannot answer to any of your feedback herself. We would also need further details of the room in question and the exact booking dates so we can investigate.

We kindly ask you to get in touch via private email on reservations.sunnycoast@axhotelsmalta.com and give us further details of the case in question so that we can look into the matters from our end. We would then be glad to contact you privately and discuss further.

Whilst thanking you in advance, we are extremely sorry for any inconvenience that might have been caused and hope we can rectify this bad experience.

Queensland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

While the staff at the resort were lovely and they certainly have facilities (a pool, sauna, spa etc) overall it's an old hotel. The rooms are ugly, the towels smell like cheap cleaning products and there's only WIFI in the reception area. The worst though, is that it's a 20 minute walk outside of town. We were lead to believe it was right in the middle of everything, but it's really not a great area. I would suggest stay closer to Buggiba Square.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Pauline_MSant, Manager at Sunny Coast Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 24, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write us a review.

Our pool area is lovely as can be seen from other reviews. We have an out door pool, an indoor
pool, jacuzzis outside and inside, baby splash pool etc...

Sunny Coast caters for families and young people. Just five minutes walk away you can find a
discount supermarket and various other shops. Ten minutes away you can find the Bugibba Square which is a buzzing party area for young people.

England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014 via mobile

I have been going to Malta for the past 16 years and have stayed in a variety of hotels across the island of malta, however this hotel has been the most enjoyable of all. I go to malta every year for 2 weeks and I always stay at the sunny coast resort mainly for the fact it's enjoyable and you have bugibba at walking distance. The beach situated infront of the sunnycoast resort is great for swimming in the Mediterranean seas! The Maltese people are very friendly and are happy to chat with you and tell you the best places to visit whilst staying in malta. Overall sunny coast resort provides you and your family with a family experience which defiantly won't be forgotten. Although the rooms are slightly dated which I have seen on previous reviews, the resort and facilities the hotel has to offer makes up for it! I promise. Ignore the bad reviews because in my opinion you couldn't choose better accommodation for the money

• Stayed May 2014
Pauline_MSant, Manager at Sunny Coast Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 18, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write us such a beautiful review.

Receiving such an exceptional review from people who come to Malta year after year and chose to come to Sunny Coast is certainly a huge recommendation for our resort.

As you so rightly mentioned our resort is situated in a very convenient area, on the water's edge, the pool area is highly sought after, we are close to all ameneties, restaurants and bars. Our staff is friendly and highly efficient.

Once again thank you and look forward to your return next year.

Pauline

Been to Sunny Coast Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!