Just came back home today after a 15 day stay at Sunny Coast.
Alarm bells rang as we entered the hotel on arrival as there was a family arguing with the receptionist due to the fact they had no room available for them due to overbooking by 'reservations'. We talked to the family whilst reception tried to sort the matter out. There was a 'list' at reception with the names of all the families that did not have a room. Unfortunately our name was also on the list. Charmain the receptionist took us to one side and explained that 'reservations' had overbooked. We were then offered an apartment at their sister hotel just two minutes walk up the road. Apparently as it was Saturday no senior staff were available to explain why this has happened, so we went with the other family to look at the other hotel. The room offered was pleasant enough but was a one bedroom apartment with no kitchen but with the offer of free breakfast. We had booked a two bed self catering apartment (as we had two children). So if we had taken this apartment it would have worked out more expensive. Thus we went back to the Sunny Coast and explained this. To be fair they did come up with a compromise. They did not have a two bedroom apartment for us but offered us two one bed self-catering apartments. It was not ideal as we had single beds not a double and we were two rooms away from the children. Throughout our stay we passed several people in reception who also were in the same predicament and were not happy being moved to another hotel.
The rooms were clean, functional with good facilities and air con so we could not ask for more.
The facilities i.e. gym which is one of the reasons I booked the hotel were quite dated. The cardio machines i.e. bikes were not functional and the treadmills (3) sometimes were working and sometimes were out of order. (I did tell the supervisor). You would think at the beginning of the main season that they would be serviced accordingly. The main machines and free weights were adequate, if you knew what you were doing but there was no-one supervising so, if you were not familiar with using gyms you would struggle. Also as there was no supervision in the gym children were using equipment unsupervised, even though you were supposed to be over 16 to enter.
Similarly the popular indoor pool had lots of young children diving in and out even though children were supposed to be accompanied by an adult.
I did book a neck and should massage for my partner for one evening in the spa but after she waited 30 mins in a hot waiting room she decided to give it a miss.
We had an early flight back to the UK on Sunday morning we paid our bill on Saturday afternoon and booked a taxi to the airport through Charmain for 5:30 am on Sunday morning. By 5:40 no taxi had arrived so we checked with the night receptionist. He phoned the taxi company, but unfortunately Charmain had booked the taxi for Monday! Luckily the taxi company we able to send a driver who was just finishing his shift and we were able to catch a flight home.
In summary, a potential very good hotel but management need to get their act together!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Sunny Coast Resort and Spa is ideally located in one of Malta's most beautiful bays. The Resort offers an easy and relaxing experience and has its own Leisure Centre, situated in a separate area across the hotel by the water's edge together with its private beach, large outdoor swimming pool together with a children's pool, three jacuzzis, a heated indoor pool, sauna and massage rooms, squash court, games room and a fully air-conditioned gym. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Agoda, Despegar.com, Travelocity, TripOnline SA, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your Sunny Coast Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sunny Coast Hotel Qawra
- Sunny Coast Resort And Spa
- Sunny Coast Resort & Spa Malta/Qawra