“Good, but not that good!” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Cardor Holiday Complex

You added Cardor Holiday Complex to your Saves list
Cardor Holiday Complex
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Nakkri Road, Qawra, Island of Malta SPB 05, Malta (Formerly Dorirose Aparthotel)   |
Ranked #13 of 17 Hotels in Qawra
Colwyn Bay
“Good, but not that good!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2012

I have recently returned from a 2 week stay at these apartments. On arrival, (11-00pm) , were handed two room keys and a couple of forms to fill in, at our leisure. We had travelled with friends, but ours was the lead name. The person on reception didn't bother to find out who was the person who had booked, out of the group.Therefore our friends were given given the paperwork to fill in. Not a smile or a good evening, did we get, just some mumbled instructions. as to find our rooms. Bearing in mind, my husband and I are no spring chickens, we were left to manhandle luggage in and out of lifts, across the pool area, and up in another lift.This did not endear the place to me, but, after a few days, getting to know our way around, it didn't seem so bad. Some Maltese do seem unsmiling and JUST about civil, but thats you're lot! The Apartment Housekeeper was a pleasant enough lady, the room cleaners were lovely, if not that thorough. they did their best to please. There was actually a lot of dark hairs on my bottom pillow, as if it hadn't been changed. It smelled clean ,so I assumed the hair had maybe come from the room girl. By the end of the 2 weeks, these hairs were still there. Draw your own conclusions here. Apart from that , I can't decry the place. After all, it's only a place to kip, at the end of the day, and at the price we paid,,,,was good enough.

Room Tip: For a quite night, opt for the rooms overlooking the pool, the rooms overlooking the road, are ok wi...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
  • Polish first
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2012

I have just returned from a 2 week stay at the Cardor Holiday Complex(15th - 29th May 2012)
My sister and I were in the apartments, though half board, so we had our meals at the Canifor Hotel,and had use of their amenities. The apartment was acceptable,and we were lucky to have a nice balcony.But the lady in charge of them was very unfriendly and unhelpful.On our last day she was waiting for us to say " This your last day...out by 11am...people coming..." No please, thank you or have a nice flight ! The meals were alright, but certainly not 4 star standard.If you wanted fresh fruit, you had to PAY for it!The dining room was very crowded,and hardly any space between tables.There was not enought staff, and the ones there were not very friendly. Good job the weather was great, or we would have been really fed up!

Room Tip: Apartment 503 is the best one. Big balcony gets the sun all day.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Manchester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2012

Easyjet holiday package with a week at the Cardor apartments. The room was great for two of us, maids were very nice, manageress was lovely and lots of facilities. For younger travellers be warned its lots of old folks. There are loads of places to eat cheap good food in Malta and the hotel on half board is better not being one of them. Food on half board was so bad we eat out or just missed meals. It’s hard to put into words how bad the food is!

Our half board was next door in the hotel, apartment complex doors closed at evening so you have loads of steps to deal with to get in but then a lift to the room, no good for people with mobility issues past 5pm.

Great place for stay, eat elsewhere!

The food at the hotel next door is terrible, really terrible and the waiters frankly I would sack if they worked for me, female staff had to carry the work for the lazy male waiters. Food was served which was obviously served from the same batch for a few days. Some days it was cold others it was just so poorly cooked and very low quality. Ham was like nothing any respectable person could call ham, it was some processed rubbish that had so much salt it made the sea seem like drinking water.

Car hire is cheap in resort and well worth getting, be prepared to take a Visa or Mastercard.

Re: star rating Cleanliness and Rooms. I have had to drop to a lower star rating to account for the fridge that had no freezer door and the mucky cooker, dirty sink and dirty pots for our use in the kitchen area. We used the boiling method before we even used a glass! Bottles of water are cheap at shops nearby.

Use a great deal of caution if you have a baby, young child or someone with immune system problems.

NOTE STAR RATING GIVEN IS FOR CARDOR APARTMENTS NOT HOTEL NEXT DOOR WHERE WE WERE EXPECTED TO EAT THE RUBBISH FOOD!

Room Tip: just don't pay half board or all inclusive, it isn't worth the risk to health.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
london
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2012

I really needed this break having lost my partner four months ago. The rooms are shabby but not chic. First room I had had no soft seating are, a broken shower and the above unmentionable in my bed AFTER i HAD slept in it.I moved to another room foregoing the paid for terrace- balcony just to get out of first room which made me feel sick. Second room was better layout but it is all so dark and dingy. I know it was cheap but I just wanted CLEAN. GREASE CAKED SWITCHES AND CUPBOARDS TOO HIGH TO REACH ( i AM 5'3'') Breakfasts were served next door in the hotel and were great- absolutely no issue with them . and ALL THE STAFF ARE LOVELY AND HELPFULL.- I WAS REALISTIC , WOULD HAVE BEEN HAPPY WITH BASIC BUT NOT DIRTY.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
London
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2012

This is by far the worst holiday complex I have ever stayed at. We arrived at 2am in the morning to a room that was uninhabitable. The bed sheet were brown and stained, the toilet held together with sticky tape, everywhere was dirty. Needless to say we upgraded to the sister hotel which was not that nice but at least clean. However the staff were very rude and not interested and it was only the help of the 24hr help line that we managed to resolve the matter. This however wasted two days of our holiday. Please please please do not book this hotel if you want a nice holiday!

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with CoopTravel

Montrose, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2012

We recently returned from a 1 week stay at the Cardor Holiday Complex. I can honestly say that I cannot fault the place. The apartment was basic but clean. Breakfast was served in the adjoining hotel which was perfectly adequate. Our entire holiday - including B&B, flights and transfers - cost £374 so we weren't expecting 5 star Hilton style accommodation. Providing you remain realistic about your expectations you won't be disappointed. If you are looking for 5 star accommodation you will need to pay the price for it. Keep it real people!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Liverpool, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2012

We've just got back from a week at the Cardor. I was a bit concerned before we travelled, having read such scathing comments on TA. Given that both the Cardor and the adjoining Canifor offer low cost holidays, I'm not sure whether some of the other reviewers had realistic expectations.

Our apartment (202) was spacious, had adequate equipment if we'd have chosen to cook, and was serviced everyday. We hadn't paid for a balcony, but didn't miss one, as we were out most of the time. The bathroom and shower were fine. If there's limited water (which is not unusual in some Mediterranean countries) we don't linger in the shower. I have to admit, the apartment could have been cleaner, but it did the job for us.

The pool was fine, with plenty of sunloungers - although the cushions were a bit grubby. We did have to walk across the pool area to reach the hotel for breakfast, or the bar. Having read comments here, I thought it was going to be a trek, but it's only a few metres - I can't understand why some people made such an issue of this.

We only ate breakfast in the hotel. There was a wide choice of English style fry up, cold meats, cheese, salad, yoghurt, breads, cereals and preserves - with 2 machines dispensing tea, coffee and hot chocolate. The dining room was crowded if we went down at 9.30, but again, we didn't expect more than that given what we'd paid.

The Cardor is bewtween Qawra and Bugibba, and a few minutes walk from the bus depot and the sea front. The restaurant in the nearby Oracle Casino served high quality food at surprisingly low prices. We had a great week in Malta, using local transport to visit Valetta and Gozo, and tasting local dishes.

In summary, we paid £230 each (let's put it into context: a return train ticket from Liverpool to London can cost £277) and had a great break in the sun. It could have been a bit cleaner, but overall we think the return flights and week in the Cardor were great value for money.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Cardor Holiday Complex? Share your experiences!