“Band Tour!” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Sunflower Hotel

You added Sunflower Hotel to your Saves list
Sunflower Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Garcia de Toledo St., Qawra, Island of Malta SPB1061, Malta   |
Ranked #6 of 17 Hotels in Qawra
London, United Kingdom
“Band Tour!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2012

I booked this hotel with a group of 38 people, and it worked very well.

The location is excellent, walking distance of good bars and restaurants, and also the bus terminal for those wishing to wander. Also, because of the location there are amazing views from the rooftop pool area.

The staff were very accommodating for the group, as usual there were many weird and wonderful requests from the guests which were all catered for very well. We were pretty much given free reign of the hotel. Our first night required a band rehearsal, and we were given access to the rooftop which was a wonderful setting.

My only disappointment was in the quality of the food, and although I know it's difficult to cook for large groups of people, as I have experience of this, I also know you need to start with good quality ingredients to start with. I had booked a dinner for all 38 of us on the first night, and the restaurant staff knew what time were were arriving. They'd reserved an area for us, not a problem, but we were still queuing up for a while waiting for the food to appear as they had run out of all the meat and fish choices. At the same time as we were waiting for this food to be prepared, it then came out completely overcooked and not very tasty. Which puzzled me, was I waiting for my food to be overcooked?

The quality of the bedrooms were pretty good, the facilities were fine, although not very clean. The bathroom needs a good going over, as the shower heads in most rooms (as far as I can gather) were mostly broken and the stands didn't work. In my room, I wasn't provided with a floor mat, so obviously there was water all over the floor. I requested more towels no problem, but when I then mopped the water up, the white towels were turned black because of the cleanliness of the floor! quite off putting. Other than that, the beds were very comfortable, balcony had a great view, my room (604) was really quite noisy however, as it's situated next to the lift, and under the pool pump on the 7th floor! so I just made sure I drank lots of alcohol so I slept through it.

The pool on the roof is such a lovely setting, plenty of areas for lounge chairs, a pool bar, and of course a medium sized pool for bathing in. I just didn't think the area was very clean, and there was a hint of algae smell in the air.

At the end of the day, it is a 3 star property, so I wasn't expecting the world. However, if I were to stay there again, there are a few things which should probably be improved.

Room Tip: don't sleep in 604 if you're a light sleeper!
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Neath
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2012

This hotel is great value for money. The room was really nice, plenty of space, and the hotel staff very pleasant at all times. Hotel not full of British, it had many different nationalities staying- it's a continental type hotel - as advertised. The restaurant is cafe/bar type, the food very good. Not far from Bugibba town, and close to the cinema if the weather was bad. Two lifts in the hotel - try to get a room on one of the top floors, better view that way. Be aware that Malta is very windy this time of year - bring some warm clothes for the evening. Would I come back - yes, the hotel's great value for money, and we had a great time using this as our base.

Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Glasgow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2012

The staff were great, very helpful and polite. Good choice at the restaurant for both the breakfast and dinner. We've stayed on a B&B basis and used one of their deals for dinner (pre-paid at the reception which saves you even more money :) Food was really nice with buffet b'fast and dinner.
The room was clean and with good facilities, no a/c but the fan kept us nice and cool. Every room has a balcony which is a bonus.
The roof top pool was very nice as well with great views.
The hotel is about 10-15 min walk to the sea - unfortunitelly though, the beach in Qawra is rocky so can't really enjoy the sea that much.
Overall, a great place to stay if you're on budget.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Glasgow
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2012

We stayed at the Sunflower Hotel for a week in April 2011 (sorry for reviewing it with such a delay!) around Easter time. I was 5 months pregnant and we wanted to enjoy our last childless holiday, hence the unusual time of the year. I read some reviews before I booked it (directly through a booking website, it was really inexpensive, a double en-suite room with breakfast buffet). It is located in a quite little corner, you need to walk for about 10mins to get to the main square with buses, travel agencies, post office, supermarkets, shops, etc, but you can find small cafes and restaurants closer to the hotel.

We spent most days out sightseeing (we managed to see nearly everything in Malta, as I couldn't sunbathe too much and the water was too cold yet for swimming), but we stayed in for a few evenings and the room was big enough to give us both space to unwind with a good book or watching the telly.

The hotel was clean, the room spacious, with a balcony with a table and chairs (not a great view, but you could buy some local delicacies and enjoy a relaxed evening dining al fresco for the fraction of the price in restaurants!). The bathroom was clean, but I've seen cleaner in my life (maybe it's just me, but I'm very demanding in terms of bathroom cleanliness...). The buffet breakfast didn't offer a lot of variety, but the food was topped up until the last guest arrived and some foods were absolutely delicious, eg mini-croissants eaten with thick and rich hot chocolate, mmmm! You could order some dishes if they weren't available, such as scrambled eggs or hard-boiled eggs etc and pay extra (very cheap).

The staff at the bar were very nice and helpful, they were selling me milk by glasses as I couldn't drink alcohol and they lent my husband a wine glass and bottle opener on three nights (they could be nice once but kept that way until the end! :) and didn't mind that he was consuming his own wine in the room. We also borrowed plates and cutlery for our dinners on the balcony and the restaurant staff was very helpful as well.

There were a few different persons at the reception desk and most of them were nice, professional, knowledgeable and helpful, maybe apart from one elderly man (but we had the impression he could be the owner, so we didn't complain, but there was nothing really to report, just a bit ignorant).

I used the heated indoor pool once, but it was quite small (as usual), yet very clean and not too cold. There was a roof terrace for sunbathing but it was too windy in the afternoon when we tried it (but it looked OK).

On the whole, I would recommend this place to people who are not going to spend most time in the hotel, just treat is as a place to sleep and eat breakfast. If you like to sip drinks by the pool and flaunt your legs or boobs in front of the other hotel guests, I suppose it's not the place you're looking for. Good value for money (and I've heard from people during trips in Malta that all 3 star hotels in Malta are more or less the same standard, a bit dated but pleasant, so why you should pay too much?).

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Rumia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2012

The hotel is really great. The entire hotel staff was wonderful. The restaurant at a high level. A delicious dinner, wonderful breakfast. Cleaned every day in peace, spotless towels. Very close are grocery stores (open to godz.19), to the beach 5 minutes walk, the way we pass the souvenir shops, pharmacy, post office. From Bugibba to walk 10 minutes we Quawra, promenade by the sea. Beautiful views. Nearby is a bus - train (buses depart in various parts of Malta). The famous yellow old Maltese buses without air conditioning, with uncomfortable seats:) but this climate it is! We recommend ...

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
london
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2011

not in one of the most picturesque areas but the location is still very close to everything you need for a great holiday, buses, beach, bars/restaurants etc.
The hotel is spotlessly clean but the food although adequate was a bit on the boring /basic side. Rooms were very large, clean and comfortable all in all good for what was paid.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
St Agnes, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2011

Sorry we have just returned from a weeks holiday in Malta and had the misfortune to stay at the Sunflower Hotel.
The meals are terrible, very basic evening meals and always cold over boiled veg. The ones you buy in supermarkets, frozen mixed veg. They are boiled to death and must have been there an hour before the evening time slot.
The room was very run down with old falling to bits furniture, all tattie. The room wasn't cleaned every day or towels changed on request. The tea and coffee suppies were never replenished unless you went down and asked.
The wi fi is very slow and constntly breaking down although you are still being chared. Very expensive.
Outside your view is of an old field that is now a dump site, plus the local youths use it to take their drugs. There are dozens of cats roaming, which make a racket day and night.
The management are unfriendly, with the excepion of a couple of reception staff.
I would not want another day in this Hotel
Totally put me off from returning to Malta.

Room Tip: Go to another Hotel
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family

Been to Sunflower Hotel? Share your experiences!