“Most Abysmal Hotel” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #10 of 17 Hotels in Qawra
Lancashire
“Most Abysmal Hotel”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2010

First evening meal O-K second night all food & plates cold!
Third night Cockroach in the desert of fellow diner, after this we reported faults of dining area to our Thomas Cook Rep. who was unconcerned, as no one had been ill in the two years he had been there? (His name Jamie, puts notes under room door with love & kisses on them?) The Dinning room Concierge said Kitchen was sprayed once a month for Insects
Faults we reported of Bedroom/ Bathroom state were numerous & lots of folk demanded better rooms on day of arrival.
After day three, we had our evening meals at the near by Hotel Santana for remaining 11 days.
We continued with Breakfast at the Canifor, serial, fruit juice & a piece of the rock hard toast, was afraid to risk any thing else!
Oh & they (Chefs ) serve you with miniscule amounts of food.
Bye the way they did take the Cockroach infested sweet away.
Our worst holiday in 10 Yrs
Don't risk this Hotel, you have been informed with the truth, as they were on our final questionnaire
Oh nearly forgot, beware of their (Malta) crazy one handed bus drivers, they use other for their mobile phones, I reported to their Police about this & they just shrugged, Police station opposite bus terminus Qawra.
Peter & Anne!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (331)
  • Polish first
Warrington - Cheshire
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2010

What can you say about the Canifor, other than to agree with all the other negative comments about the hotel. The room we stayed in (401) was clean and initially we were satisfied with the service provided (clean sheets towels etc), but the restaurant staff are something else and it's all down to the Restaurant Manger, (Donnie/Ronnie?) not only is is he dictatorial to his staff but to the guests as well, he needs a crash course in hospitality management, he has no idea how to behave towards staff or guests. The food is adequate, but bland and the attitude is take it or leave it.
The majority of the guests are elderly English long stay guests who seem to think the hotel belongs to them and resent other guests being there, the entertainment is dire, who wants bingo and a corny singer with an electric organ??. ( I forgot - Elderly English guests). By the way, I, my sister and brother in law, are all in our mid 60's
You also have to pay if you want a control to use the television, fridge, tea making facility and safe in your room and there is no hot water after 9.30am until early evening (in April at least).
The hotel is tired (dark woodwork and marble in the reception area) it's like entering the inner sanctum, all in all it's such a shame as it's in an ideal position, close to the sea front, bus station, shops and bars. So, would I go back there, NO, but certainly to Malta as its a wonderful island.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
Midlands
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2010

We moved rooms after one night due to damp, smelly and cold conditions. The second room was quite nice but the shower was terrible. It was either screaming hot or freezing cold and it would move on its own and soak the floor. The food was quite bad with most things having pork in them (which i dont eat). The menu did not give a true discription to what you could order. I odered a rissotto and they gave me boiled rice with a tomato sauce on top that covered less than half of it. Some of the waiters and chefs were rude. The nightly entertainment was usually a maltease singer with a keyboard that sang songs to the elderly whilst they ball room danced. Young couples should not go here.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
sussex
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2010

We stayed in the Canifor in March 2010, where it is totally set up for accommodating elderly English people who want to stay somewhere in the sun as cheaply as possible. The food is therefore like a canteen and is largely english cheap food like green jelly! A large proportion of the rooms are nosiy with Murphys bar causing most of the noise until about 12 at night and dustbin vehicles coming at 6am and clearning staff noisily cleaning from 7am. The rooms are not good; very battered, damp etc. Thisi s not a four star hotel and I would never stay there again or reccommend it.

Stayed March 2010
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2010

We stayed for 7 nights. We were allocated a spacious room with a dbl and 2 single beds which was adwquate. The room was cleaned daily and linen changed once after the initial one.
The food both breakfast and dinner was quite adequate but served by at the counter. You have to ask if you need more as they try to give small portions.
The deserts were not the best and no fresh fruits.
We asked for some fruits but they only had tin fruit salads. They should improve on this.
The location is great as you can travel Island wide from the Bus station very close.
One other thing , we were half board, presumably the hotel was fully booked and given the choice to stay in one of their other hotel, Coral at full board with free drinks with meals but we turned down after visiting Coral as the room was much smaller. The Canifor also had facilities like indoor swimming pool and Gym.
Overall we had a fairly good stay at the price we paid.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with family
Torquay, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2010

Just returned from the Canifor and had a great holiday with our 5 year old grand-daughter. It is quite obvious that many reviews of this hotel are by people who would like 5 star service at one or two star prices, you can't have your cake and eat it !
We had a lovely spacious and spotlessly clean room overlooking the pool area. Clean towels every day and linen changed halfway during our one week stay, no problems.
Buffet restaurant was busy and sometimes a short wait for a table. The restaurant needs to be bigger and more space to select your food but the food always tasty and NO PROBLEM if you want extra. Main criticism at breakfast was the tea and coffee from the machine, but coffee was generally awful eveywhere in Malta and tea not much better.
Hotel was in nice condition everywhere and indoor pool was nice.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with family
Scotland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2010

Just returned from a week in Malta. I had originally booked the Bella Vista but after reading reviews decided to change to the Canifor - big mistake!!! We were allocated a room on the 4th floor of the Canifor and were told that the room may not be ready but we could go and settle outselves. The room was very small, very cold, condensation ran down the glass doors and the doors rattled in the strong wind. There were no net curtain on the glass but these were put up on our second. The usual maid was very nice and cleaned the room each morning, changed the bed and left clean towels. My husband took ill half way through the week with a stomach bug. I found the restaurant staff unhelpful when I asked if I could take tea upstairs - I was told to help myself but I wasn't offered a teapot, tray of anything and the tea was cold by the time I got it to the room. On the Friday the normal maid was off and we waited until 12 noon for a maid to change the sheets and eventually went looking for someone only to be told first of all that we could only get one clean sheet and she attempted to put a soiled sheet back on the bed. After checking again with the supervisor she was told to wait until after 2 for clean sheets. I then reported the situation to reception and was told we would get clean linen but still had to wait about an hour. The maid then left the room without cleaning the bathroom!! My husband was ill - he had a stomach bug - he needed to be in bed and the staff were of no help at this stage. By the Sunday morning my husband's condition was worse and the staff phoned a doctor who admitted my husband to hospital and told me I was going to stay at the hospital with and - "I would have a better room to stay in than the hotel room". (That was the doctor's own words)

We stayed in the hospital for 2 nights before flying back to the UK. When I returned to the hotel to pick up our luggage all the receptionist was interested in was getting me to settle the bar bill which came to all of 6 euros - she was actually due me 12 euros for return of the key to the safe deposit box. She never yet asked how my husband was despite the fact she had been aware he was ill since the Friday and was there when he was admitted to hospital.

I wasn't ill myself and can't say where my husband picked up the bug but the hospital staff warned him about milk and milk products. I don't take milk in tea and coffee but my husband does. In both the bars in the hotel coffee machine have cartons of milk sitting out beside them which are used for teas and coffees - should these not be refrigerated?? The restaurant also has coffee machines for guests to help themselves at breakfast - these don't look too clean and some guests take in their own mugs and lift up the prongs with their finger to fit the mugs under - if this hygenic??

I also twice left my table in the restaurant to go and get something else to eat and came back to find the table had been cleared. One waiter even lifted my cup and saucer when he was passing and I hadn't finished drinking the coffee!! I then had to wait for the queue to die down to get more coffee only to find that there were no clean cups left??

I would also warn anyone going to the Canifor for a short break to beware of the guests who are there for a longer stay - they think they own the place!! Go into the bar at night and watch where you sit as you are probably sitting in someone else's seat as we were told on 2 occasions and I think we were only in ther bar 3 times!!

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Canifor Hotel? Share your experiences!