“4* but where from...” 2 of 5 stars

UK
“4* but where from...”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

Where to start...

This is the second time I have stayed at this hotel, and it was a thouglibetter the devil you know. So prior to my trip I sent an email with a room request. Nothing to hard, but as the end of mystay approaches, still no reply. I was given a twin room, and I asked the young lady in reception for a double bed... not possible, try tomorrow. Finally day 3 I got a room change. Well done her. The hotel is 1970 style and needs to be dragged in to the 21 century with a make over. It is clean, but tired.

Resturant.

I arrived at 1.45, to be greeted by one staff member (skim, black glasses, long sideburns) looking at his watch glaring at me then storming out the back. The head waiter returned to tell me the resturant closed at 1.45 not 2. Needs to check the paperwar given by reception. I left, dont have to put up with staff with attitude problems.

Whilst sitting eating, waiting staff having loud discussions with each other over the customers. Seems there was a staff issue that they were airing. Not acceptable!

Food. Subject to much discussion. It is basic, tasteless fair, and needs a major revamp. The chefs need to taste thier dishes. A home made vegetable soup was served. Frozen vegetables, in flavourless cornflour thickened liquid. This is a chance to showcase local produce, fresh and full of flavour. Make fantastic vibrant food. Have chefs really show off thier talents with pride, not stand behind the bain maries, arms folded, guarding it! Additional cost? Little, increased business?

Coffee... a teaspoon of instant coffee, hotwater and some foam does not make a latte! There is lot of money tobe made from making coffee correctly!

The duty manager Vince needs to be replaced. 3 times now I have heard him having altercations with guests... loud ones. Not acceptable in any form, and is infact abuse.

Staff need to be trained in customer services. YES and a glare is not a welcome. It takes little time and effort to be polite!

4*, well that is highly debateable. According to the hotel the stars are awarded by the Malta Tourist Authority. Im waiting for an answer fm the MTA on how the stars are awarded especially as Malta has agreed to join the Europe method of assessment. Interesting to see there is now sign of the award displayed in any public area.

For me, its about customer service... fails. Food quality... if i was served it in a resturant I would send it back. Price is good, but so should the whole package! Pull your socks up big time. Dont believe me, send in some mystery shoppers, they will soon tell you. Yes, I could do better! Look after the customer and they will look after you well and truely!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (295)
  • Polish first
Rosneath, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013

We have just spent a week at half board at the Canifor for from 2nd to 9th May 2013. I was a bit worried after reading some of the reviews. We had a lovely stay here, with a ice clean airy room on the 3rd floor, and although a bit worried about the noise from the bars on the corner could hear nothing from our room at night. Food was good and plentiful, staff pleasant mostly, but always find the Maltese rather crabbitt looking people. Will go back here without any worries

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
lancashire
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

we arrived on saturday we had booked and payed extra for a superior room which included tea making facilities,iron,fridge and other extras on arrival we were given a noisy standard room with no facilities and wagons and cars making a racket all night.in the night we were disturbed by noises as we put on the light we found we had cockroaches.we were moved the next day and were given a nice room at the front but still none of the extras we had payed for,after many visits to reception some of them were put in the room by now it is monday afternoon but we never did get the fridge.the hotel often caters for coaches of locals and they take over the hotel restaurant and the hotel rooms.we stayed 4nts and in that time the restaurant was either closed to us or we had to leave early 3 times.most of us holiday makers had payed ALL INCLUSIVE. the staff were all smartly dressed and helpful most of the time,there was plenty of choice at meal times and the food was good.hard to believe this is a 4star and there were lots of people who didn't get the rooms they had booked.there is no access for disabled but once inside there are lifts to all floors.

Room Tip: in our opinion the rooms at the front of the hotel are the better ones and quieter
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Bicester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

I went there in 2012 for my Birthday and loved it,The staff where nice and very helpful for me it was a great Birthday.I found rooms and hotel clean tidy and well presented,I found they put entertainment on most or all evenings i was there.I have booked to go back in 2014 for my Birthday again and hope to see a little more of Malta.For me the Canifor Hotel is a really good Hotel at a great price so i highly Recommend it.

Room Tip: I had no trouble with noise but you can always enquire when booking.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Torbay UK
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

We had booked all inclusive at Cardor Apartments, taking all our meals and drinks at Canifor Hotel. Arrived on a Thursday night approx 8.30 to be told they had no room for us and we were going to Coral Hotel ( sister hotel ). After refusing point blank to go to the Coral they "found" us a room within the Canifor for one night, saying our apartment would be ready the next day. In the morning we went to get keys for our apartment and was told we were going into Canifor Court apartments over the road.( these are not very nice ) After refusing this apartment, was told that is all we have. Point blank refused to stay there and was "allowed" to keep hotel room for one more night. Finally on third day of our holiday was given an apartment at Cardor. The manager of Canifor not once apologised for this!!!!
After finally settling into apartment had a reasonable time. Breakfasts would class as good, lunch from snack bar good. Only ate once in the evening at hotel, which again was adequate.
Choice of drinks on all inclusive is limited.
In conclusion, if we had been given our correct room at time of checking in we would have been satisfied, but the managers attitude was very disapointing. By the way, there were plenty of people who didnt get the rooms they booked, seems to be the norm here.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dumfries, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

canifor needs to instal a ramp for disabled people
the food was very good a change every day
the canifor is very near the bus station to all off malta
there are pubs& café all around
the canifor is very clean & staff very frendly

Room Tip: try and get a room near the lift
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

Having worked as a holiday rep in the Canifor hotel in 1999, I returned for a holiday in April 2011 and August 2012. Many guests compained about the hotel not being 4 star quality, I would agree that it is not 4 star but it is a nice hotel with mostly friendly staff (many of them had been there in 1999). There is a good variety of food available at meal times. The pool area is very small but to be honest Malta is not the kind of Island you visit to spend all day every day by the pool. Id recommend this hotel as it is central in the resort, near the bus terminus and a short walk to the promenade and man made beach. Not the best hotel for young children.

Room Tip: ask for higher rooms, not pool view on the first floor as you are directly above the bar which can b...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Been to Canifor Hotel? Share your experiences!