“holiday savers - brilliant hotel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Seashells Resort at Suncrest

You added Seashells Resort at Suncrest to your Saves list
Seashells Resort at Suncrest
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Qawra Coast Road, Qawra, Island of Malta SPB 1902, Malta   |
Ranked #5 of 16 Hotels in Qawra
Manchester, United Kingdom
“holiday savers - brilliant hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

After being very let down with our booked accommodation in Buggiba we walked into the Seashells to see if they had any rooms available.

The reception staff were so helpful in checking vacancies and then showing us a room and we booked there and then for the week.

The room was very clean, lovely bedding, it had a large fridge that held 2 big bottles of water and 2 large cartons of orange, it had a lovely sea view and a bathroom which was small but more than adequate.

The staff were all very pleasant and very helpful nothing too much trouble and all spoke English.

The pool is busy but with a large hotel we didn't expect anything else and the sea is easily accessible from the rocks.

We only had bed and breakfast but the food was very good and a lot of choice and the staff clean up after you so well.

The lifts were a bit of a pain as they were slow to come to the floors but whats the rush your on holidays.

All in all a very happy holiday in a great hotel that we would recommend to anyone and we will be returning.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Ludgarda S, Director of Sales at Seashells Resort at Suncrest, responded to this review, July 22, 2013
We thank you for your lovely review - another favourite today for our staff notice board. We appreciate your recommendation to readers - especially because you could compare with your previous hotel.
Of course we look forward to having you soon back.
Cheers.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (389)
  • Polish first
Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

My 10 year old son and I just returned from a lovely week at this hotel. My only complaint is the holiday was not long enough!!! The food was great, plenty choice, lovely room lovely pool, liked the slide! We will definitely be returning next summer and hopefully get a higher room as we were only on floor 2 however the sea view was still great. Great hotel, fantastic staff and magnificent island. One of my best holidays ever :-)

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
A big thanks for your excellent review of our hotel. It is a great pleasure to read that your and your son's holiday was such a success that you cannot wait to return.
Ours is the only slide in Malta in a hotel - of course it is very popular with our guests especially the younger ones.
Keep the good spirit up and don't wait too long.
Essex
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

I stayed at this resort on the 29th June-8th July with my Sister and Mother. I would like to say how excellent this hotel and Island is! We stayed here last year for a week but decided to go for a little longer this year.
We all absolutely love the hotel and would go back again immediately! We stayed in a Seaview Suite which was superb and very well equipped for our needs. I would recommend getting a seaview room as the views of the sea are breathtaking and seeing the sunrise over the ocean is amazing.

The catering here is good. I am a vegetarian so when I go to a hotel I expect to not have many options but not this hotel. There was always at least two vegetarian option to choose from along with potatoes, vegetables and a lots of fresh salads.
We also ate at It-Tokk restaurant downstairs which is a Maltese buffet which I found enjoyable. I couldn't eat here every night as its traditional Maltese foods so did have a lot of meat on the menu but that was fine by me and what I expected so I just at in the normal restaurant.
The cafe downstairs was also very nice with snacks of sandwiches, wraps, cakes and ice cream to choose from. We would like to pass on our thanks to Martin the barman who was very friendly to us.
I recommend staying all inclusive so you get all of the above as well as drinks and ice creams at your request!
On our arrival we was given a 15% discount off food at Tal-Kaptan restaurant opposite the hotel which was fantastic and I would recommend eating there one night.

We found the pool area to be very good. People always write reviews about how crowded the pool area is but its summer so what do you expect? There are a lot of guests in the hotel so you will need to save a sun bed but this isn't a problem. We headed down to the pool area about 8am-8:30am and would choose our sun beds and then go and have breakfast.
The pool boys are extremely hard working and I would like to pass on my thanks to them for being so helpful all the time and making sure the pool area was kept very clean.

The souvenir shop located on the bottom floor is wonderful for little gifts as well as snacks, drinks, toiletries, newspapers, postcards and a small selection of clothes and inflatables.
I purchased a few cute little presents for myself and friends in this shop so its definitely worth a look. The employees in this shop are also very friendly and helpful.

I have also noticed people writing about the noise of this hotel at night time which I have to disagree on. We was on the 6th floor but could hear the entertainment from across the road. This wasn't a problem though and what you expect on holiday! The music would always stop at 11:30pm-12:00am though so it wasn't super late. People need to realise its not going to be silent from 9pm....even if it was they would only moan its too quiet!!

There is a slight issue with the lifts being that they are quite slow but I can only put that down to it being a large and very busy hotel and everyone requesting lifts at the same time. If you are patient then this isn't a problem. If you aren't patient then there are stairs that you can use!

We did a trip out on the Malta Hop On Hop Off bus which was fantastic and very enjoyable! We did the north tour which I highly recommend. We stopped at some beautiful places and also got a free harbour cruise around Valetta which was lovely. I recommend getting off at Selima Bay, Mdina, San Anton Gardens, Golden Bay and Mosta.
The free cruise was 90 minutes and full commentary on board as well as refreshments.
Tickets for this bus can be purchased opposite the hotel.

In the evenings we went across to St Paul's Bay which is only a short 10 minute walk from the hotel. This is full of souvenir shops and restaurants. You can also watch the sunset here which is amazing. I have never seen a sunset so beautiful!
During one evening we also went to the Ambassadors Lounge in the hotel which is good for chilling out with a drink. I recommend trying the Black Prince cocktail.

So to sum everything up this is a fantastic hotel with brilliant facilities, very accommodating and the staff are so helpful and no problem is too big or too small for them to help with.

We will definitely be returning here hopefully very soon!

Thanks Seashells for another fantastic holiday!!

Room Tip: My tip is to get a seaview room and request a higher floor for better views of the sea.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Ludgarda S, Director of Sales at Seashells Resort at Suncrest, responded to this review, July 19, 2013
A big thanks for a very detailed review and again an assurance to future guests. It looks like you have touched most aspects of our hotel. We understand that being a vegetarian, the Maltese restaurant and barbeque may not be your thing - it is great however that you were happy with what we have on the menu at Le Pavillion. Indeed our sun rises are spectacular and having a sea view room comes in handy- we are glad you enjoyed this.
This year we have 2 brand new elevators on the Ambassador Lounge side - many people forget about them -or think they are only used by VIPs (see previous reviews) - this is not the case as they are there for everybody.
Great you could find time to discover our island - next time we will tell you of some more places to go to.
Again thanks and of course we look forward to see you soon again. cheers.
Edinburgh
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

We returned to this hotel for the first two weeks of July - really enjoyed ourselves, third floor room was great - one ceiling fan didn't work properly but within a short time of advising reception, a stand alone fan was delivered to the room. Had some difficulty with the wifi but a member of staff soon sorted us out. It didn't seem as busy as last year when we were there but this was good as we didn't have to fight over sunbeds! Only slight grumble would be that although the animation team were good, we thought last year's team were better at the kids' mini disco.

Have to say that although we don't usually return to the same place twice, it looks like we may be booking again for next year!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
We thank you for you review and are glad we have yet again persuaded you to return to our hotel. We are glad you had no qualms finding sunbeds - you would have noticed after you were here last year that there are new ones.
We look forward to seeing you next year.
Truro, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

We arrived here after upgrading from the Canifor (see separate review) and found stunning Reception and public areas, and a large pool, with adjacent bar and open-air dining area. It's a big hotel, so the pool area gets quite busy, but (except for one Sunday morning) there were always vacant sunbeds, regardless of what time we arrived. The mainly-young staff were always pleasant and helpful.

The pool does get crowded with people having fun, so if, like us, you prefer to do proper swimming, it's better to either arrive early, or swim in the sea. The sea is delightful, with a large roped off area to separate it from the busy water-sports area. However, the bottom is rocky with quite a lot of vegetation, so wear swimming shoes – I didn't, at first, until I trod on some spiky plant and had to go to the doctor to have the spikes removed. And at the end of the holiday, there was a sizeable gash in the side of the swimming shoe, which would have been in my foot, were it not for the protection of the shoe! (A warning sign about this would be helpful.)

The food was served in up to four restaurants depending on the time of day, all self-service and typical of other All Inclusive hotels we have been to (ie, good quality, but not outstanding). There are delightful terraces for the main restaurant and the bar.

The bedrooms were typical of other modern hotels, with good air-conditioning system which was effective without being too noisy.

Now for the moans: The six lifts were in two adjacent but uncoordinated banks, which made them very inefficient. People commonly pushed buttons on both banks so lifts were frequently stopping at floors where no one was waiting, and even lifts in the same bank seemed to follow each other around, with one lift permanently stuck on the 9th floor. I suspect it would be far better to use the two banks to serve different floors, eg, 1-4 and 5-9. Whatever – you could be waiting for frustratingly long periods just to get to and from your room.

But my main complaint was about the WiFi service, with the hotel's strategy clearly set in the 20th century, when top businessmen carried a Blackberry and would pay anything for connection. We arrived with two iPhones, an iPad and a Kindle, and expected the kind of WiFi service we've had at previous All Inclusive holiday hotels – free, but usually only in specific public areas. Enter the password into each device, and connection is automatically set up as soon as you move into the coverage area. The kind of free service you get when you buy a drink in most bars and restaurants.

Instead, we had to buy tickets which were restricted to one device at a time. A 24 hour (continuous) ticket cost €5, so that's €70 for a two week stay! We normally bought one-hour tickets for €2.50, usually two at a time, which worked out cheaper, as you only clock up time when logged on. In order to use the ticket for more than one device, you had to log off the one before being able to use it for another, so there was no automatic reconnection. Having paid high prices, one should expect the system to be of high quality; in fact, it was often impossible to log on, even with 3 bar coverage. You could easily spend ten or fifteen minutes trying, before giving up! Even when connected, the bandwidth was low, sometimes taking ten minutes to download one Kindle newspaper.

Overall summary: If you don't use the internet, then this is a superb hotel and I would fully recommend it. However, if you live in the 21st century and expect a good WiFi service for free or at a nominal charge, then do not come here. There are other hotels which will cater for your needs.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Ludgarda S, Director of Sales at Seashells Resort at Suncrest, responded to this review, July 18, 2013
We thank you for your detailed review - especially in your case you could of course compare. It is also great to read that you had a dip in the Mediterranean sea, rather then just the pool. You would have trod on a sea-urcine - these are extremely rare - but you are right can be nasty and are better on a seafood platter then your foot. The good thing about the rocky beach in front of our hotel is that it opens to the open sea and after swimming for some metres - it becomes deep enough that you cannot reach the bottom with your feet any more.
Indeed Wifi in our hotel is not for free - this is how we advertise it in all our literature. It costs Euro 2.5,- for 60 minutes. One can log in and out as much as one likes.
We would also like to thank you for your comments concerning our staff.
Bournemouth, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

Just got back from a week at Seashells at Suncrest, we had a great time at the hotel. It's well connected to the main areas of Malta through the extremely cheap bus service and sightseeing tours, and is right up along the Mediterranean Sea, with easy access down to swim in it.

The food is very varied and always nice - don't listen to those that clearly didn't pay attention to what the hotel offered. There are two breakfast places that serve fried breakfasts, cereals, toast and continental. The snack bar has sandwiches throughout the day, and there's BBQ for lunch. For dinner, there's a choice of three locations, including an incredible Maltese restaurant, and a more mature BBQ set-up in the evening. All of it is served buffet style.

The room was basic but nice - I had to stay in it most of the time due to a migraine attack I got on the way out there. The beds are comfortable, there's plenty of storage and the curtains do well at blocking out the sun for lie-ins or the photosensitive. The balcony comes with table and chairs as well, quite nice to look out over the bay with in the evening.

The service was also good. One night I was unable to get downstairs, and my girlfriend was allowed to bring up a tray of the BBQ to our room for me to eat. They're generally very helpful, and speak English well.

Make sure to read the other reviews though to see which ones you consider valid or not - some of the lower ranked ones are either from ignorant reviewers or caused by something that was not the fault of the hotel.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
We thank you for your review and words of assurance to future guests. It is such a pity you had to get a migraine while on hotel but are glad we could help.
You give a good description of our all inclusive offer. Of course we are glad you not only tried Le Pavillion - which offers international cuisine but also the Maltese Restaurant as well as the barbeque - it cannot be more varied then that.
Keep the good spirit up.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013 via mobile

I spent 1 week at Seashells hotel and despite all the negativity people have said about it I completely disagree! The staff are all amazing, and I thoroughly enjoyed my 7 nights I stayed there! Bloody unforgettable holiday! I recommend it to everyone!!!!

• Stayed July 2013
A big thanks for your review and your words of confidence to us and especially future guests.
Of course your review will be a popular one amongst our staff.
We are glad we could make your holiday and unforgettable one - and hope we can repeat this with you in the near future and of course many other guests.
Cheers.

Been to Seashells Resort at Suncrest? Share your experiences!