“Friendly Staff” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Seashells Resort at Suncrest

You added Seashells Resort at Suncrest to your Saves list
Seashells Resort at Suncrest
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Qawra Coast Road, Qawra, Island of Malta SPB 1902, Malta   |
Ranked #5 of 16 Hotels in Qawra
BELFAST
“Friendly Staff”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

Just back from 10 days in this Hotel, the staff were very friendly and the maid kept my room perfectly clean. I went B&B and only had breakfast on 3 days. The bacon was horrible at least 80% fat and swimming in oil the orange juice was diluted, and the white bread went thru the toaster and came out white. The air conditioning in my room did not work, and was noisey someone was sent to fix it and i saw him climb up to have a look, all he did was jam the fan with a piece off cardboard to stop the noise, there was a ceiling fan which helped. Fridge did not work and this was replaced promptly, i had twin beds pushed together which because off the way i have to sleep was uncomfortable, so they very kindly changed the bed to a very large double. I have been spoilt a bit as for 4 years i went to 4 star hotels in Tunisia, and this one could not compete, you had to pay for tea making in your room, and the place was a bit tired looking, i paid £865 for my 10 days as i was a single traveller. My room was quite large had a TV (old fashioned type) and the maid kept it very clean.
As for the pool area i went there 2 days, the sunbeds are so close together you are like sardines, and in future i will be looking for a hotel without an animation team, why they have to be there from 10 and when they take a break they leave the music on, many people there were over 50 so it would have been nice to have soom 70s or 80s music played. The drinks were expensive i enjoyed sitting out on the terrace beside the road having the odd pint, but there was no waiter service and the pints were expensive. i went to Alecs bar or the Red Lion far cheaper. All in all i had a good time i enjoyed Malta and will maybe go back next year and bring my wife. i do not think i would use this hotel again unless i read that they have sorted the AC and the food has greatly improved. But a big thank you to the staff for being so friendly.

Room Tip: If you want peace and quiet book a room at the back off the Hotel.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
LSchembri, Director of Sales at Seashells Resort at Suncrest, responded to this review, July 31, 2012
We thank you for your review, especially your comments concerning staff and cleanliness and size of room. As you had booked a single room, we were not expecting you would use both beds. Great though that our house-keeping department could get you sorted. There are no single rooms in all the hotel, so any single person booking would get a twin room at a supplement.
We are glad you enjoyed Malta.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (389)
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

Just returned from seashells in Qwara. Rooms comfortable and great views. Plenty of choice when eating in the hotel with a good choice of eating areas. Pool area clean and plenty of sunbeds. The entertainment team work hard to please everyone always a smile and a greeting. I would say the balconys could do with a refurbish, Lick of paint and locks renewing ours had rusted and sometimes hard to open. We had a fan in our room and it was very noisey durning the night. Overall I would recommend this hotel for all ages. Staff very helpful and polite and was always there with a smile which goes a long way. If you need transport i would recommend Williams Garage, on time and very efficent and always talking to make you feel comfortable. Great location for hotel short walk to lots of bars and restaurants, Plenty to see in Malta if going on trips use the hop on hop off bus you can see so much in your own time. Great place can't wait to return.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
LSchembri, Director of Sales at Seashells Resort at Suncrest, responded to this review, July 27, 2012
We thank you for your good review of our hotel and recommendation. Your comments concerning staff are most welcome - I am sure they will be very happy when we put them on the staff notice board - all reviews, good or bad find their place their for the staff to read.
Indeed there is plenty to see in Malta - great to hear you ventured out to discover our island.

Looking forward to see you soon again in our hotel.
Cheers
Port Talbot
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

I went to this hotel for a week on my own from the 17th July with Malta Direct. I booked three weeks before and only paid £347 so I can't grumble really but if I was paying more I would not have been as happy. I had a sea view room no. 611. Having read another review which said the rooms are small, this one most certainly is not. There would be plenty of room for at least one more bed, and even possibly a cot with a bit of rearrangement of furniture. There was a fridge in the room which was very handy as I was on B and B. The size of the bathroom is adequate but I thought that the lack of providing bath gel and soap was ridiculous as this is supposed to be a 4 star hotel. If you ask for it, the maid will leave it there, but you should not have to ask. The furniture was a bit battered and old fashioned but the view was marvellous and luckily the sun moved round by about 1 p.m. so it was nice and cool on the balcony. I did not eat at all in the hotel after discovering that a barbecue meal was 17.50 euros! I would expect a banquet for that. I ate out cheaply at the Village Restaurant - turn right cross the road and past the Salsa Club - you will see a sign saying Chill Out Lounge. If you just want a snack a chip or bacon butty and a pint of lager is 2 euros 30. If you turn right and then right again you will come to King Cod. Food is very reasonable there and there are a couple of tables and chairs to eat outside.

You will fight to get a sunbed - the pool boys are told to take away any towels left there before 9 a.m. They are all crammed together in ranks. The pool is too small for the size of hotel. I found if I went down about 4 p.m. I could generally get a sunbed.

My opinion of the breakfast at Suncrest is that it is not great. I went one day at 7 a.m. the earliest possible time and the food had obviously been standing for some time. It is edible but only just about. Fruit is tinned and yogurt a bit tasteless, jams just taste of sugar and little else, the juice tends to run out quickly. However, the bread is nice and although the cake is dry looking it is actually quite moist. The bacon is streaky and rather overcooked and the eggs will be hard unless you are lucky enough to arrive just as they are bringing more out! If the rest of the food is like the breakfast then I think I was wise to go B and B.

If you turn left out of the hotel and go past the Qawra Hotel and turn left after a little booth selling trips, and go up the hill and bear right, within about five minutes' walk you will come to the bus station and a little further on, St Paul's Bay. It is more lively there than in Qawra and more choice of restaurants and pubs all the way to the Bay. If you want a supermarket, Trolleys Supermarket is the cheapest and has a good range of foods. This is also on the way to St Paul's Bay. It took me some days to find all these places so I thought I would pass it on.

I thought the evening entertainment was poor and the entertainment was much better next door at the Qawra Palace. One evening an entertainer if you could call him that was quite clearly miming to music coming from a laptop. It was OK for children but not for adults.

The stop for the hop on hop off open topped bus is a little way up the road to the right. You will see a timber shed where the sell Captain Morgan cruises and that is where the stop is. It costs 15 euros and you can go on the North route which is blue or the South route which is red. You will need to go early if you want to stop off anywhere as the bus finishes at around 6 p.m. There is also a hop on hop off bus on Gozo. Service buses stop just outside the hotel on the other side of the road for Valetta and a day ticket is 2 euros 60 pay on the bus. They are new Arriva buses, not the vintage ones any more.

I went on excursions with SMS which is the firm used by Malta Direct. The Blue Grotto and Marsashlox could have been done cheaper by going on the open topped bus. The other excursion to Gozo covered a lot of ground but was quite expensive at 56 euros including lunch - however, I think it was worth it. Go prepared for a lot of climbing hills over uneven ground and don't go without a sunhat! It was very hot and the hills were a struggle. They will offer a boat trip for 3 euros 50 and it is well worth it, if only to cool off.

All in all, I had a good time but the hotel lacked the atmosphere to keep me there more than a couple of hours a day. I would like to say that Katerina the Guest Relations person was very helpful. I would go again but I wouldn't pay more than £450 B and B per person unless it is during the school holidays when the maximum I would pay would be £550 per person including the flight. If you travel with Air Malta - a word of warning - the food is barely edible! If you are fussy about food it is probably best to take your own.

Room Tip: I think a sea view room is essential as the other rooms look out on side roads and I would recommend...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
We thank you for your review of our hotel.
Soap and shampoo is left on arrival in your room. As for the breakfast, you do not mention the rest of the items such as muesli, different types of eggs, beans etc, fresh fruit or even the healthy breakfast at La Place until 11.30hrs.
If your idea of a snack is chips and bacon butty - you were right in looking elsewhere. Our snacks at the La Place sandwich bar - contain ingrediants such as aubergines, zucchini, fetacheese, gammon and pine-apple as well as delicious chicken, octopus salads or even wraps - one may see the menu if one looks at our website. As for lunches and dinners one can again look at our website to get an idea. One warning though - our dinners are in buffet style and they are not Banquets.
We are glad you liked our island so much that you would like to return.
St Helens, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2012

reception area very good, rooms comfortable clean towels changed daily hotel has three restaurants, main dinning room has a varied choice of dishes ,then a maltese dining room
with local varieties of food, b b q outside near swimming pool.we enjoyed all the food venues found the entertainment a bit hit and miss although the animation team tried very hard.there was also a great snack bar serving cesar and other salads as well as a great selection of rolls,wraps and pastries.the swimming pool is a good size salt water area with plenty of sunbeds. the area is well served with public transport to the main towns the sea was nice and warm but had problems getting in from the rocks,feel that a lot more could be done to improve this.

Room Tip: rooms facing bar opposite front of hotel beware open until 3.00am and can be very noisy
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
LSchembri, Director of Sales at Seashells Resort at Suncrest, responded to this review, July 26, 2012
Many thanks for your review of our hotel. We are glad you like our restaurants and the different buffets.
From your to year we look at our outlets and try to think outside the box - this year we came up with the idea of the sandwich bar - and it has indeed been a great success, with all nationalities. Great you liked our salads and snacks there - they look so healthy, it does not sound sinful when you are on a diet!
All of the shore is public in Malta, hotels are not allowed to touch in any way their area in front of their hotels even to embellish - we will forward your comment however.
Cheers.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2012 via mobile

Location excellent, staff were brilliant. Nothing too much trouble, great with the kids. Our toilet seat broke we reported it at dinner time, by the time we had finished our meal and returned to our room the seat was fixed. Lifts slow and need updating, room too could do with updating. Sea view superb, would recommend it. All in all great second time in Malta. Go to Mdina by night beautiful. Hire a car really cheap. Can't wait to go back.

• Stayed July 2012
We thank you from the Seashells Resort at Suncrest and are glad you enjoyed yourselves so much that you would like to return - even for the third time to Malta.
Indeed Mdina is beautiful at any time, but special during the night - same with other places such as the Valletta or Vittoriosa Waterfronts.
We look forward to see you soon again.
Edinburgh
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2012

We stayed, half board, at this hotel for 2 weeks in July. Our room had a double bed and we had a further room with bunk beds for the kids - I think it was called an inland suite. The room was cleaned every day we were there. The room was comfortable although the shower could have done with being a bit more powerful.

The main swimming pool was a fantastic size and the kids enjoyed the various activities going on throughout the day - with special thanks to Dominika!

Both restaurants were good - Le Pavillion, beside reception, had the best choice although we found it extremely hot! It Tokk, the Maltese restaurant, didn't have such a variety of choices, but was much cooler with ceiling fans and open doors!

Our kids enjoyed the mini disco in the evenings - thanks to all the animation staff.

All in all, we had a great time there (apart from trying to find free sun loungers after 9am!) and are already thinking of returning next year!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
LSchembri, Director of Sales at Seashells Resort at Suncrest, responded to this review, July 25, 2012
We thank you for your review of our hotel and are glad that all the positive aspects of this stay have persuaded you and your family to return next year.
You were here during a heat wave, which lasted weeks in a row - now it is better with temperatures still over 30 degrees - but a nice northern breeze.
We look forward to seeing you next year.
Cheers.
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2012

I booked the hotel for a family of 5. 2 rooms: 1 double with sea view for the mother-in-law and 1 family room with sea view for 2 adults, a toddler and a baby. We also asked for them to be next to each other. When we arrived we got none of the above, plus we paid a hefty premium for the privilege. After some arguing we got 2 rooms next to each other but both rooms only had 2 single beds in and no sea view. More importantly, nowhere for the children to sleep. After further arguing they dragged a horrible mattress in for my toddler and the cot wouldn't fit, the room was so small. My elderly mother in law ended up having the cot in with her all week. Our paperwork clearly stated what we had booked but the manager kept quoting that she hadn't received enough from the agency and wanted to charge us, a second time, for a larger room and then again for a sea view. I'd also had a severe accident prior to the holiday and struggled to walk. However, day in day out the manager had me hobble to reception to try and fight for what we had already paid for. I believe the manger was called Michelle.
Seashells use these agencies to sell their rooms so they should have argued with them about their fees, not us. What was so frustrating is that they had the correct rooms empty. Is £500 per person for 1 week not enough to allow a family to sleep together and let an older lady rest.

It is a shame that the manager was so greedy and unreasonable as it did ruin our holiday splitting the family apart.

I have never written a review before but feel the poor service should be highlighted.

Other than that, food was good, entertainment great, lifts and building desperately need updating.

Anne-Marie. Kent.

Room Tip: Only choose a high level and sea view. They put students in lower floors and they are very tatty.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
LSchembri, Director of Sales at Seashells Resort at Suncrest, responded to this review, July 24, 2012
We thank you for your review. I have managed to identify the person(we do not have a Michelle working for us) who talked with you while on resort and she has explained your situation to us.
Each of your room bookings has come through a seperate operator - so it was not possible for us to allocate rooms next to each other if we did not know who the other guests were. We resolved this immediately for you and allocated rooms next to each other.
Your reservation and paperwork was for a triple inland room and in no way a sea view suite - your paperwork said so as well. What is stated on your reservation as a request is not acutally a booking - the tour operator should have made that clear to you. Priority is obviously given to paying guests when it comes to sea views and suites.
We thank you for your comments concerning food, entertainment and lifts.

Been to Seashells Resort at Suncrest? Share your experiences!