“One topping I really didn't want on my pizza!” 1 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #47 of 79 Restaurants in Qawra
Cuisines: Pizza, Mediterranean, Grill, Pasta
Dining options: Breakfast, Delivery, Late Night, Reservations
Description: If you are looking for a restuarant that offers: Quality fresh and tasty food; Value for money & Welcoming staff, Tal-Kaptan Restuarant is the place for you!
London
“One topping I really didn't want on my pizza!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2014

Well..... what can I say.... I came here for dinner in September and it's taken until now to even look at these photos again! Hell, it took several months before I could even eat a pizza, even then I was scrutinising all toppings.
I took a seat in the outside area and ordered the Kaptan Waterfront pizza and a beer, I was the only person in the restaurant but I was used to it as I seem to eat earlier in the evening than most in Malta. The food was brought promptly and the pizza, to be fair, did taste really good, up until I got halfway through and saw a cockroach in the middle of my toppings!!!! I was mortified and didn't know what was worse, seeing the cockroach or wondering if I had eaten any others!! I called over the waitress and informed them of the bug topping and they were understandable surprised and apologetic, they offered a replacement pizza which I obviously declined and they said for the pizza there was no charge and as I was about to leave they came to say my beer was also free...... to be honest, I thought that was a given.
In the days after I still didn't feel satisfied with their response really and decided to email the general manager to make sure he was aware of the incident, he said he was aware of the incident and in fairness he ‘said’ that a lot had been done to check the cleanliness of the kitchens and to ensure it didn't happen again, that being said, I can't help but think the email was a little....automated.... and that it was a generic reply that they send out whenever such an incident occurs.
He offered a free meal with drinks for me and a friend and while it wouldn't be my first choice in places to go back to I thought I could get something easily inspectable and it could go some way to compensate me for what happened, he asked my address to send me a voucher and as I had under a week left of my holiday I said that my vacation is nearly up and could I come to collect it......then silence..... just after I mentioned I was a tourist and was heading home soon he stopped replying, I emailed him again........ nothing.....no reply!!
So I guess he didn't feel he needed to respond after he knew I wasn't gonna be there for long. Well, I go to Malta 6-7 times a year and I nor will any of my friends/family ever go back there.

• Visited September 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

Bugibba, Malta
“terrible”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2014

terrible start to finish. the waitress was ok, but the food was not good, first the pizza came with no cheese, and the pasta was not cooked. and then the pasta was still very bad my mum couldn't eat it the chicken tasted off. the pizza was brunt, and my chicken ceasar salad had no dressing. its a shame, but we live here and i would never go again.....

• Visited February 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Hemel Hempstead, United Kingdom
“A lovely place to eat”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2014

The service was friendly and efficient, food was excellent and very large portions, so after the first visit myself and my wife decided to share 1 course for lunch and for dinner share a starter and each have a main course and the bills came to 3 parts of not a lot.

Visited December 2013
Carlisle
“Nothing to improve on”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2014 via mobile

Situated on the sea from at Qawra, this is a nice nautical themed restaurant. We had tried to get in on New Year's Day but it was an hours wait for a table so we went elsewhere.

Clean restaurant, tidy area, smart staff (or crew, as they have on their shirts) we were happy to eat there.

Extensive menu with the usual offerings of burgers, grills, pastas, pizzas, salads etc.. We made the mistake of ordering starters - no need at all as the portions are huge.

Went for a deep fried ravioli which was delicious, served with cranberry sauce. Hubby had a lovely garlic bread.

Mains were an Angus burger for him - a huge burger, well cooked, while I went for a pizza (walnut, honey and blue-cheese which I swapped for ricotta)

The pizza didn't really work for me, my taste buds couldn't get my head round the fact that it tasted like a Danish pastry then the cheese kicked in. Perhaps the blue cheese works better, but I don't like blue.
However it was personal choice and the pizza was cooked and presented well.

The bill was €29 with two starters, two mains, a soft drink & a bucket of hot tea.

Would happily return & recommend.

Visited January 2014
Jervis Bay, Australia
“Not too bad but not a bell ringer”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2014

Party of five seated outside. Views are good and the menu provides the typically delicious European selection combined with Maltese fare. Service was a little slow but overall a worthwhile experience. Will I visit again.......well, not a bell ringer but certainly not the worse food I have tasted in Malta.

• Visited January 2014