“Never again!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Primera Hotel

You added Primera Hotel to your Saves list
Primera Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Pioneer Rd, St. Paul's Bay, Island of Malta SPB 04, Malta   |
Ranked #12 of 17 Hotels in St. Paul's Bay
London, United Kingdom
“Never again!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2014

We have never ever stayed in such a dirty place! The room was very basic and it was ok for the price we have paid, however:
- shower was in really bad condition, it was actually dirty, black dirt all over,
- dirt around sink plug,
- air vent was full of black dust, looked like it was never cleaned before!
- very old bed mattress, on the top of that no protector so we could feel springs, sleepless nights!
- TV had only four channels and none of them worked properly,
- there was a sofa on the corridor, really wondering what was the purpose of placing a full of stains furniture in the public area?
- housekeeping uses very dirty and stinky clothes to "clean" rooms, we have noticed this few times (they could at least not display them on the corridor so all the guests passing by housekeeping trolley could see and smell them)
- the worst thing about this place was definitely breakfast and all the staff working there. I cannot express how disappointed we were with the "cleanliness" in breakfast area. I was shocked! not only lots H&S issues (e.g.hot food was displayed in very hot metal containers constantly warmed, with piece of cloth, looked like pillowcase, wrapped around handle to avoid burning hands, but wrapped in the way so we could not catch it and hold it so I ended up with burned hand anyway). Plates with ham and cheese were placed on the foil, which was not changed for 7 days and very often food was falling from plates on dirty foil. Breakfast items were not always available, if we came in the morning we had a chance to have a bread and cheese, and maybe ham, but after 8am- only if you are lucky. Limited tea spoons, coffee machine not only very old, but what was worst- very, very dirty! Tables were sticky! Floor disgusting, not mopped for at least few days. And to put cherry on top- breakfast staff! Every time we asked for tea spoon or fork we were shown with hand, not even asked, to wait for few minutes, given item with no apology or simple "sorry" or even smile. Unacceptable. We felt very unwelcome!
-Electricity went down twice on our floor, ok it can happen anywhere and it wouldn't be a problem if not the fact that when we mentioned about it to receptionist- again no apology or sorry but "it is fixed now, it was one of the guests fault", hmmm… customer service training required.
- The were only two staff members, two male receptionists who were very helpful with directions, all the rest was useless, literally.
- The hotel is located on very noisy street, with lots of pubs around, no chance to sleep till at least 3am.
We will never ever stay there again. Paying less it's one thing, but lack of cleanliness and friendly staff will not make your holiday better, think twice before choosing Primera Hotel.

Room Tip: ask for a room with mattress protector and clean bathroom
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
  • Polish first
Burton
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2014 via mobile

All the staff are helpful and fun. the room was cleaned daily even the beds were changed we had a twin balcony room overlooking the front of the hotel.The roof top pool is small but clean and we had it to ourselves most of the time and what a view over the sea.We stopped room only because there are so many local places to eat full English breakfast 3.50.I will be returning later this year.

• Stayed June 2014
Milan, Italy
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2014

Noise noise and noise...

Even I hase asked during making reservation that Only what we need is to have silent room there was loud music playing outside on the street every single night up to 3:00 am
I can not even immagine that I would be with the kids there...
It was impossible to sleep...

Do not recommend to go there. I am not sure about the other side of the hotel but sea view side was really one big night mare...

Room Tip: Do not take sea side... even if they will play a game with you saying "you have been upgraded t...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2014

I read quite a few reviews on tripadvisor before going to Malta to stay at the Primera Hotel and was quite worried by the majority of them. However, I returned yesterday from my 7 night stay and have only good things to say! Firstly, I don't know how people are complaining on here about it being basic given that it was so cheap, what do you expect? Also, how much time do you actually plan on spending in the hotel? I have stayed at quite a few hotels in the UK that were over £100 a night and weren't much better! Yes the rooms are basic but they were perfect for the price and for a place to sleep and get ready. The hotel and our room were extremely clean and the rooftop pool was perfect! Although the pool was small, its not really an issue unless you are planning on doing lengths in it! It was very quiet at the pool so we pretty much had it to ourselves and the view from up there of the sea front is beautiful. The hotel is right in the Bugibba square and extremely close to everything including restaurants, the bus station and tourist attractions. This was my second visit to Bugibba and for my first one I stayed at The Bugibba Hotel around the corner from the Primera. The Bugibba Hotel was extremely run down, the pool area was overcrowded and I had to get down there at 7am to get a deck chair and also it was fully in shade by 4pm. My room there was infested with cockroaches and not very clean. It was also more expensive than the Primera.

So I would recommend The Primera Hotel and definitely would stay again.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014 via mobile

After recently booking into the hotel and staying. I cannot fault the staff or the rooms although the room we had no window on outside so not much air circulated and the smell from food cooking came up the passage way outside the window . The room was clean , and the cleaning staff always did a wonderful job and were extremely polite . You can hire a kettle and this at €1.5 a day was pretty good value .. Breakfast is reasonable thought never consistent and some items appear to have sat for ages even if arriving at 7:30 however generally a great time was had

• Stayed June 2014
Reykjavik, Iceland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2014

I got an "upgrade" to a seaview room. I don't know what I was supposed to get but if this is an upgrade, that can't have been much. The room is an ok size but the furniture is old and very worn out, the bedside table is broken on one side, the blankets smell of cigarette smoke and since there is an ashtray on the table I assume smoking is still allowed in this hotel. The curtains look like someone took a swing in them.
The toilet is between the sink and the shower and you kind of have to back up to get to it.
Just after arrival the only glass in the room fell on the floor and broke into about a million pieces that scattered all over the room and balcony floor. Now three days and 6 complaints later, I just picked up 6 pieces of broken glass off the floor, after stepping on them.
There is a lot of noise from outside in the evening and it seams to make no difference weather the balcony door is open or closed.
Breakfast is included in the rate but after seeing it the first morning, I wasn't interested in trying it so I have had breakfast in nearby restaurants.
I was very surprised that since Malta is partly an English speaking country, no one at this hotel seams to be fluent in English.
I asked for a refund for my last night so I could find somewhere else to stay but the receptionist said that it wouldn't be possible because she was only the receptionist. I could never recommend this hotel to anyone and I would never stay here again.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
Limerick
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2014

The Primera is a clean hotel.
Prior to my trip, I checked trip-advisor for info on the hotel. I can now correct some review errors.
Before travelling, I emailed the hotel on foot of a blatantly negative review.
I was reassured by the hotel that the rooms and bathrooms were spotless.
I can confirm I found the room and bathroom spotlessly clean on arrival. I stayed second week in May, 2014.
I found the roof top pool in a very clean and well maintained condition contrary to what I'd viewed and read here.
The Primera is a very clean hotel. Have no worries there.
Maintenance seems to be worked on a manána-style schedule while any heavy, noisy maintenance is carried out from cock-shout so no sleep-ins for that week.
We had a bedside night light that blew on the Thursday night of our brief stay. It still had not been fixed when we left three days later - Manána.
The bathroom was spotlessly clean and, for such an old hotel that's good. However, the day before we left, the WC leaked during the night, flooding the floor. The hotel's Mañana maintenance crew have doubtless seen to it by now.
The staff on the desk are very good at dealing with queries, they speak good english and are very helpful in all matters relevant to tourists.
Do leave your room key at the desk when you leave to explore for the day as that key is the only key available to the cleaning women who won't be able to get in to clean your room if you keep the room key in your pocket.
The hotel do let you decide on that.
The hotel is inexpensive and you do get exactly what you pay for. It was just what we needed, room only, no breakfast and the kettle in the room for seven nights cost just €9 extra.
Not twenty yards down the road, all day english breakfasts available in three street-front restaurants from 8.00am.
Other guests during our stay were agreed that the hotel brought to mind for them Basil Faulty's 'Faulty Towers' and that is entirely down to the Manána maintenance crew's disconnect.
For a place to sleep for a few hours and as a base to get your bearings, the Primera is every bit as good as any cheap hotel anywhere but the Primera hotel desk staff are definitely it's best asset.

Room Tip: Top floor is noisy, but that's not so bad. It really is easy on the pocket so let that be your f...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Primera Hotel? Share your experiences!