“Bella Vista Hotel.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Bella Vista Hotel

You added Bella Vista Hotel to your Saves list
Bella Vista Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Qawra Coast Road, St. Paul's Bay, Island of Malta SPB 1908, Malta   |
Ranked #11 of 17 Hotels in St. Paul's Bay
Belfast, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
“Bella Vista Hotel.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2014

I have read a lot of rubbish on this site about the Bella Vista. I have just returned from my forth visit. I was in room 505 from the 4th Feb to the 11 Feb. I write about how my wife and I found the hotel and no one else.
There are complaints about the steps at the door of the hotel and carrying bags/ mobility up the steps. There is a small lift to the right hand side of the steps. This brings the guests up to the main floor of the hotel and two normal lifts to the rest of the hotel.
People are happy to admit that they arriving late for their evening meal and then complain the hotel did not do anything about serving them hot food. I understand that after traveling all day one is looking forward to getting something hot to eat. A solution might be to go to the local square for hot food or book an early flight.
Some complaints are very nasty and untrue. The Bella Vista is a dirty hotel, walk through the main hotel at 7.30 any morning and you will find a whole crew cleaning, washing and preparing the hotel for the day ahead. This is true of hotels all over the world why would it not be true of the Bella Vista. When the guest leaves a table, within a few minutes the dirty dish and glasses are lifted and the table re-set for the next guest. This is true of hotels all over the world why would it not be true of the Bella Vista. The bedrooms are cleaned every day and fresh towels laid out. This is true of hotels all over the world why would it not be true of the Bella Vista. One day the young girl forgot to put towels in the room I spoke to her and in a minute she got me some.
The staff are very rude, this is rubbish. I spoke to every member to staff I came into contact with they were very nice. Maybe when the boss heard I was coming he gave all the rude staff the week off. People should remember there was a civilization on Malta when people in Britain were living in caves. The Maltese do not need to be lectured on how to behave. I did see guests speak to members of staff very rudely.
The food I would describe as plain and wholesome. I will try and list some of the evening meals.
Salad bar, cold pasta, several cold meats (different each night).
Hot soup, two kinds of bread.
Pasta (different each night).
Mains, fish, pork, chicken (different each night). Rice (different each night). Hot veg several kinds (different each night) potatoes several kinds mashed, boiled, chips etc (different each night).
Two kinds of sweet cake, jelly, ice cream some nights.
Cheese and crackers.
This is not meant to be the menu it’s it just to give the reader a feel for the place.
The bar also supplies burgers and chips, tuna salad, toasted sandwiches etc.
One comment read the Bella Vista swimming pool was dirty this is a not true. It is a normal filtered swimming pool. I did not use it this time as it still too cool. However during my summer visits I have spent many hours in the pool. There is a small changing room to the rear so guests can change out of wet swim wear before re-entering the hotel.

Perhaps I have written too much about my times in the Bella Vista and I should add some of the thoughts of my fellow guests. Some times my poor brain reaches the limits of its capabilities. I know when this happens when my poor brain cannot find an answer, so I sit in silence and scratch my head. Many of my old school teachers will swear to this. But perhaps the Almighty God has given you a better brain than mine. You might know the answers which my poor brain cannot find.
One man told he doesn’t like the ice cream in the Bella Vista because it is too cold.
A nice couple from Leeds told me they found the knives and forks on Malta to be very heavy. For Health and Safety please note the inclusion of the word “very”. The knives and forks are not just heavy, they are very heavy. Please take care. They did not share with me their views on spoons on Malta.
One women told me she did not like the breakfast in the Bella Vista because they did not serve pomegranate seeds. I asked her did she usually eat pomegranate seeds for breakfast. She said “No.”
One afternoon I was seated in the bar having a drink and watching the football on the tv. An English woman who was building herself up to having a heart attack shouted. “What a bloody dump. The bars closed.” I looked up to the bar. The lights were on, there was two young men in hotel uniforms dispensing food and drink and a man stand at the bar drinking coffee.
If you are happy to spend up wards for 100 pounds a night do not go to the Bella Vista. There are lots pf other hotels on Malta which would be better suited to your needs. However, service and expectations should be tempered with cost. The Bella Vista is hard to beat for value for money. I will be going back.

Room Tip: One over the pool
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
MaltaCorrection, Manager at Bella Vista Hotel, responded to this review, February 20, 2014
dear guest, we thank you for a nice review.Some guests complain about what they hear from other guests and not because something went wrong during their stay.Guests can still order food if they arrive late. We have a menu ( prices included) in all the rooms and food is delivered to the hotel until 23.30 hours from a local take away if guests miss dinner.i do not need to add a lot to your review because you gave an excellent account of how things really are at the BellaVista. It is not fair when guests know they are in the wrong and because we stop them they get back to us by putting bad reviews on Tripadvisor.Thanks for choosing Malta, hope we can welcome you again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (345)
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2014

The hotel is good value but doesn't do itself any favours by being listed as a four star hotel. If it was down as a 3 star the disappointment surrounding some aspects of this establishment wouldn't be so great. If you read both the negative and positive reviews both have valid points to make. The food is edible but not great by any means it is very canteen style and would not suit all tastes. All the staff were great but the reception ladies could spend a day or two in charm school although they are very good at pointing. All in all the hotel made for a good base to see the island the local buses are easy to use and only costs 1.50 euro for an all day pass. For a great coffee there's a cafe on the left hand corner on the square in Bugibbar, make sure you leave via the back of the hotel if you head down that way and its only a short stroll.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
MaltaCorrection, Manager at Bella Vista Hotel, responded to this review, February 12, 2014
dear guest, we thank you for your review.We try to give our guests value for money, unfortunately
some guests pay less than €100.00 for a week and expect five star food and accomodation. Most hotels in Malta operate at a loss in Winter, while others prefer to close for three / four months .
Rates paid during these months do not even cover the wages and food , and hotels need other revenue like weddings, parties and group dinners to break even.It would be nice to have guests paying good rates, unfortunately business is what it is . The hotel has spent thousands of EUROS for a new fitness room, we will be upgrading the rooms with more lighting, 28 inch flat screen TV 'S and other upgrades. Guests have to keep in mind what they pay before comparing UK four star hotels to Maltese hotels.All hotels in our area including ours are spending millions of Euros in upgrades , the problem is can they still keep the prices at the same levels .I am sure Qawra and Bugibba will be given priority by the new goverment , to make it more welcome for guests staying here.
Hulhule Island
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2014

First this is not a 4 star maybe 2+. We paid for a superior room but it was just the same as all the rest except we had tea, coffee, kettle and Fridge. The shower would be nice and hot for a minute then freezing so you had to time it to soap up then rinse off. The food was 9 times out of 10 cold/warm with the same thing nearly every day, the only one thing that was tasty was the ice cream.
The hotel is on a main road junction and quite noisy, and when we were there we had building work going on for 2 weeks every day. The walk down to the main square will take 15 minute`s if you are reasonable on your feet.
While we were at the hotel in a period of 2 weeks there 6 people had to be taken to hospital after having a doctor visit them in the hotel. I would not recommend this hotel to anybody.
Hope you have better luck with another hotel. Bill

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
dear guest, we thank you for your feedback.The guests can control the shower from the mixer, if thye water changes temperature.Guests pay only about € 3.00 per day for a superior room.We normally offer a room with an open view and tea and coffree facilities.The food temperature is checked before it is taken out on the buffet counter and the buffet counter itself is checked by our restaurant managers.We apogise if you taught the food was not hot enough.We have a free shuttle service at least 9 times a day which takes guests to the centre of Qawra.It is normal that with the change of temperatures, some guests are sick not just in Malta but all over Europe and UK.Again my apologies we were not up to your expectations.
malta
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2014

As this is one of the cheapest buffet lunches in a Hotel (15 euros), I would not recommend it as the quality is so poor that its not worth it for the price. I had my lunch there on Sunday, and especially the beef which was a sirloin steak in sauce was so hard to chew that I didnt manage to take a piece. On complaining with the chef he responds that it was one in a hundred pieces that was like that. In my opinion it cant be 1 piece only from the whole which is not eatable. This is due to a very poor quality of meat to satifies the low price.
I will suggest that its better to pay a few more euros and eat good.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
dear guest, we thank you for your contribution. We apologise the beef was not up to your standards. I am informed the chef apologised , and explained that not all the meat is the same and because we buy in large amounts every week , you get a few occasions when the meat is not tender.The Sunday lunches at the hotel are very popular with the local guests , and I am sure
that you enjoyed the rest of the food including the Lasagna, Antipasto , Pork and chicken.Again my apologies.
Dundee
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2014

We are back a week, since our stay at the Bella Vista. On arrival at the hotel after midnight, friendly/helpful night receptionist, given bag with sandwich, crisps apple and water:lovely. Room on top floor smelt of smoke,damp, mould top of walls and paint blown:not lovely. Went back to the night desk and was asked to come back next morning and fortunately got another room. Smelt fresh and clean and slightly warm. Staff hardworking. Location good for park, bird sanctuary, buses, cinema, church, shop in hotel and shop next door handy. Lovely and warm downstairs but room a bit chilly.
Lots of coughs/chest infections with guests. Damp in rooms would not have helped. Food, good for Malta. Soup always delicious but think chefs should taste the veggie main courses. Had spaghetti with olive oil garlic and chilli flakes in cafe in Salima Park across the road from hotel: simple but delicious. One guest said, "You can't moan considering what we paid". Point taken but the room should be warm, free from damp and food should be edible.
Should review there main course veggie choices and ensure all rooms are habitable. Otherwise would be super hotel, excellent location and very good value.

Room Tip: Pool facing rooms seem to get a lot of sunshine.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
dear guest, we thank you for your review.Guests cannot smoke in public areas in Malta, unfortunately some guests smoke in rooms , and sometimes it is very difficult to get rid of the terrible smell altough we use special sprays.We had quite a lot of rain end of January and begining of February and the the rooms which do not have direct sunlight all day might be a little damp.We are pleased you taught the location was very good, and you could go around to various
places without much trouble.I will pass on your review to the chef , and promise to bring up your
remarks about the dampness in the rooms at our next managers meeting.My apologies if some things were not up to your expectations.
Northumberland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2014

We couldn't have chosen a worse time to arrive - 8.30 on a Saturday evening. We were greeted with a tightly packed hotel resembling a 1960s working men's club (same act performing) to be told we'd missed the evening meal. A small warm bottle of water and an apple were a poor substitute (we don't eat cheese). To be honest the hotel must have been receiving only about £12 a day per head for bed, breakfast & evening meal. As they say, they aim to give good value and the only way they can do this is by having huge numbers of guests.
Staff were exceptionally friendly and helpful and although we found the food rather boring, there was certainly nothing wrong with it - just too British and too predictable. If baked beans and toast for breakfast and an evening carvery are your thing - you'll love it. We upgraded (for pennies) and the room was excellent, clean, well-maintained and spacious. The biggest problem in January is that it is too cold to sit outside at night so the seating area downstairs rarely had enough seats for residents and matters became worse when lots of locals came for weekend entertainment. Our biggest problems were finding somewhere quiet to sit and standing in bar queues often comprising 20 thirsty folk.
For us the situation of the hotel could not have been better - south facing on the edge of town overlooking a delightful park.

Room Tip: We heard complaints about the annexe suites but our 'superior' room was perfect except the h...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
dear guest, we thank you for your feedback.The Saturday buffet dinner is popular with the local guests and the lounge area is busy until these guests go in the restaurant at about 20.45 hours.
We prepare a packed lunch normally ham & cheese sandwich, apple, packet of crisps and water.
We usede to prepare a cold platter but at least 70% of these went to waste , so we decided to go for a sandwich which most of the guests enjoy. Guests can order food any time between 8.30 to 11.30 pm and this is delivered to their room.We have a menu in all the rooms.Glad you taught the staff were helpful.The bar area is busy expecially when we have about 35% of the guests Allinclusive.Thank you for choosing Malta.
Tamworth, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2014

Just returned from a 28 night break at the Bella Vista, yes I know the price was right, yes I know it was listed as a four star. Well on arrival we were given our first room, on the 5th floor, kit measured approx 12ft square, the bedding was damp cold and the room was like an ice box, the heating hadnt been on here for some time, stated couldnt stay there for 28nights needed to move, we were given keys to the suites up the road from the hotel, well I certainly didnt wsh to be surrounded by four beds again the rooms were cold and damp. Second day we were given a room on the 4th floor, nice size room but everything felt cold and damp, it had a balcony, not one you could sit out on as it got no sunshine anytime of the day. When I moved the bedside cabinet there was mould all around the corner and on the wall beneath my bed. Requested another move, only to be told only rooms available were the superior rooms at a cost, well in order to try and salvage something of our holiday we decided to go for it.Paid out 147euros and what extra did we get, a tray with tea making kit, we already had a kettle of our own. I ask if the fridge switched on came with the upgrade, no this would cost more euros. 2 days in this room became ill, flu like symptoms and a cough, after 3 days got worse so called in the doctor, 50 euros, medication 40 euros. After a week on antibiotics felt that all I wanted was to get home as soon as possible, 24hrs later back suffering along with other hotel residents some of which had been hospitalised with, bronchitus/chest infections. In two weeks 8 residents spent time in St James Hospital.The room heating was controlled and only came on between 0030hrs and 0430hrs. it was a hot air system giving out dry air from filters that looked as they hadnt been cleaned or serviced for ages, This I feel was where all the infections were coming from but couldnt prove it. The hotel is definately not a four star, it is very dated and needs a revamp. The receptionists who are the first ones you meet, need training in manners and people skills,both have attitude problems. The cleaners and the restuarant staff were lovely. Meals were hit and miss, some good days some not so good,but there was no need to go hungry. if only the beans at breakfast were hot!!! So glad when the taxi came to take us to the airport. Bella Vista certainly is not on my list to hotels to go back to.

Room Tip: Superior rooms at extra cost gave a balcony that had a few hours sunshine.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
MaltaCorrection, Manager at Bella Vista Hotel, responded to this review, February 4, 2014
dear guest, we thank you for your review.You booked a standard room and we allocated a room at the back of the hotel. We offered a room at the suites which included a separate room with table, chairs a fridge and a sofa bed.You were then offered room 413, pool view .You asked for a superior room on the front and you agreed to pay € 3.50 pp per day to upgrade. Guests can easily get colds from other guests as you find a few who still sit in the public areas when they are not well.I think the doctors who visit guests cannot take chances if they do not know the medical history of the patients and sometimes they refer them to St James .I could only trace two instances were guests were taken to hospital in January. The heating in rooms is on all night from 8.30 pm to at least 06.00 am.I can assure you we cannot take chances with AC filters, they are cleaned regularly and the system is checked by service engineers.My apologes some things were not up to your expectations.

Been to Bella Vista Hotel? Share your experiences!