“Great Holiday” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Santana

You added Hotel Santana to your Saves list
Hotel Santana
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Triq il-Maskli, St. Paul's Bay, Island of Malta 05, Malta   |
Ranked #3 of 16 Hotels in St. Paul's Bay
SHEFFIELD
“Great Holiday”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

We stayed at the Santan from the 11-18 July 13 for a week all inclusive.
The hotel is in an ideal spot with the bus terminus 5 mins down the road, the sea is a 5 mins walk away and the hotel is surrounded with restaurants,bars and shops.
Our room was on the side which was very quiet and private. A large room with small fridge, hairdryer and balcony and terrace. Air con was a bit hit and miss but we kind of sorted it.
The staff are really friendly especially Shirley in the downstairs bar. she's a diamond. All the other staff in the poolside bar and waiting/maids are great also.
The food is varied with lots of choices including local maltese dishes for you to sample. We could not find a thing wrong with this hotel as did read reviews before we booked, but take it from me, i have been travelling to malta to visit my sister for 30 yrs and i was impressed with this hotel. So was my partner, as it was his first trip to malta so it had to be a special one.
Will definately stay at the Santana again. Hopefully in September when we will be returning.

Room Tip: Side views are a bit quieter but if you like to people watch the front rooms look great aswell.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
SunrouteSantana, Director of Sales at Hotel Santana, responded to this review, July 26, 2013
Dear DH40944,

I was so pleased to read your review and note that you enjoyed your recent stay with us and will be returning to Malta and to our hotel. Thank you for sharing your experience of our product and services on TripAdvisor and for your favourable comments.
In the meantime, regarding your visit in September, do contact me to let me know if you need any assistance.

Hotel Santana

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (235)
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Wigan, England, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

Booked this hotel on the strength of some of the reviews on here, as we have done in the past whenever we have looked to book a holiday and have never felt the need to review a hotel before. We travelled to the hotel in the first week in July on an all inclusive basis booked through Travel Republic.
On arrival the hotel looks good from outside but was as we found out the main stopping point for all the open top buses that toured the island and consequently noisy as the engines were kept running while they waited. We were allocated room 039 ground floor on the side of the hotel.

Room -
Badly needs refurbishment bathroom tiles cracked and grouting badly discoloured. Toilet leaked and took 2 visits to reception to get it sorted.
The room is overlooking a bar on the opposite side of the road and there was no voile on the window for the first four days of our visit so offering no privacy unless main curtains kept shut.
Cobwebs and dirt in corners of the room and bed sheets didn't fit correctly. The top cover looked like it was from the 90s and didn't look like it had been washed much since.

Restaurant/Food

Breakfast was the only decent meal of the day but don't get too excited the fruit juice wasn't fresh it was cordial let down probably with tap water sensibly my wife didn't touch it or the carafes of water supplied with the evening meals for those of us on all inclusive. I wish I'd listened to her as my stomach was to put it politely not very well until I stopped also.
Not much fresh fruit to tempt you with either.

Lunch -Abysmal recognised a lot from the evening meal the night before. No imagination just soup, lukewarm meat or fish, not much fresh salad seemed to be lettuce tomatoes and coleslaw. Ate twice in there at lunch, walked out on the third time. Brought this to the attention of the manager after buying lunch out again who assured us it was "fresh" every day. As a gesture as we were sat by the pool she brought out a beautiful platter of samosa, spring rolls, fish and chicken pieces. These would have been ideal food for lunch, where it came from we don't know but it was never on the menu. Unfortunately as we'd already eaten out we had to leave most of it. She also offered a voucher to eat in the other café on site but this was never delivered to our room as promised.

Dinner - Very repetitive - Soup, roast meat, fish some kind of pasta dish and not very appetising veg/potatoes. Desserts not too bad.

Staff -
The English bar staff were very friendly especially the "Yorkshire lass", the restaurant staff were efficient and reasonably friendly.
There was however one exception, an English woman, we won't mention her name, she made us feel uncomfortable all week questioning everything we asked for on all inclusive. She tried a little harder the last day or two but the damage had been done.
Reception staff not very friendly did not even ask if we'd enjoyed our stay when checking out, I think they probably knew the answer.

All Inclusive -
The hotel should either be totally all inclusive or just bed and breakfast. The all inclusive option seemed like an after thought. This means every time you order a drink you had to sign for it. The selection was OK but beware of the water in the restaurant.

Resort

The main bus station is only a few stops from the hotel and is ideal for exploring the island as Qawra is full of English Bars and repetitive shops which doesn't represent the rest of the island which we visited .
We will return to Malta but not to Qawra and DEFINITELY NOT to this hotel

Room Tip: Ask for a refurbished room
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
SunrouteSantana, Director of Sales at Hotel Santana, responded to this review, July 23, 2013
Dear Denis G.,

Having read your comments o TripAdvisor concerning your recent stay with us I regret to note that our hotel did not fully meet your expectations. On behalf of the management team I would like to take this opportunity to apologise for any inconvenience you experienced. I am also discussed the points raied in your review with the management team i view of bettering our product and services.

Whilst thanking you for reviewing our hotel o TripAdvisor I would also express my sincere hope that you will travel to Malta and to Hotel Santana again. If you do please write to me so that I will take personal care of your booking.

In the meantime I remain,
Yours sincerely

Travelers are raving about these St. Paul's Bay hotels

durtyroamer
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013 via mobile

Writing this while still at the hotel, arrived at the hotel after a long day we had a 1:30 start that morning. We were put in Room 025 right next to the bar. As we needed an early night my wife asked if it would be noisy. The receptionist said oh no it won't be, well the Karoke entertainment that night took place right outside our room. I went to reception and asked if we could move rooms, the receptionist said it wasn't possible as the hotel was full. As there didn't seem to be that many people around I decided to check on line and there were rooms available. I went back and told him I had checked online to which he replied that the only other rooms they had were overlooking the noiser bar to the side of the hotel. I asked to speak to the duty manager who said there was nothing he could do. Whilst at reception waiting to speak to the manager I heard another 2 couples combining that the air conditioning in the rooms was not working. The manager then gave me some story that he had found a couple that wanted to move rooms and we could have theirs on the other side of the hotel. He gave the room card to me straight away so the mystery couple must have packed up and let the room pretty quick! I went and checked the room out and it was as hot as hell and no ceiling fan and as I had heard other quests complaining that the air con was working and the Karoke had finished we decided to stay put. As we were told on 2 occasions that the entertainment the following night wouldn't be directly outside our room but inside we decided to keep our room. The following evening we went out for a meal and came back to find the exact same thing happening right outside our room. I really don't appreciate being told blatant lies and am now in the process of finding alternative accomadation. The hotel itself had seen better days androids decidedly dated and tatty although reasonably priced there are much better alternatives in the area and don't believe any excuses they give you it all just a smoke screen to put you off complaining.

• Stayed July 2013
SunrouteSantana, Director of Sales at Hotel Santana, responded to this review, July 30, 2013
Dear Dirtyroamer,

Thank you for pointing the situation out. In this way we were able to resolve the issue.

Sales and Marketin Manager
Stockton-on-Tees, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

We have just spent a week at the Hotel Santana on a half board basis.

On arrival we asked for a second key card and this was given to us and returned at the end of our stay.

We had a standard room at the front of the hotel. The balcony was big enough for a table and two chairs where you could sit out.

The room was a little dated but very clean and had an overhead fan and air conditioning. At first we could not get the air conditioning to work and we reported it to reception. The maintenance man came to the room within 5 minutes of our asking and said that the window in the room has to be properly shut for the aircon to work. After that it worked brilliantly.

The fridge was only coolish but was okay to keep your bottled water/milk/cola/beer in. We took our own travel kettle and some sachets of nice coffee. All the plug sockets in the room were the same as in England so no need for travel plugs.

The television was modern but only had a couple of English channels - mostly news. Not a problem as we didn't watch much tv .

Both beds had new deep mattresses and were comfortable and the bedding was clean. The chambermaid made the beds and cleaned the room every day.

The bathroom was modern with a large walk in shower - it was not a wet room. As the shower door opens outwards placing the towelling bathmat under the door mopped up any water running off the door. The water pressure was good and there was hot water any time of the day. The hairdryer worked well enough for me. The towels were changed every day.

The food was very good value for money. There was plenty to choose from for both breakfast and dinner. We always found plenty to eat and it was to a good standard. Breakfast was cereals, porridge, continental, toast and jam, full english, fruit, boiled eggs, croissants, bread etc. I used my own coffee sachets at breakfast although hot drinks and fruit juice is available.

Dinner was a different soup every night, 8-10 lovely salad selections, a pasta dish, a fish dish, vegetable selection, potato dish, chips, curry or stew, a different meat carved every night - always tender. There were always four or five different cakes for dessert and assorted ice cream. The drinks in the hotel were reasonably priced. Throughout our stay all of the staff in the dining room and the chefs were pleasant, friendly and attentive.

The pool on the roof was clean. There are two areas on different levels both of which have a covered section. Very useful when it is so hot The pool bar serves drinks and snacks. The sunbeds next to the pool are the most comfortable and we did not have any trouble getting a sunbed here.

The hop-on hop-off bus stops right outside the hotel. A young lad sells the tickets outside and is very helpful. The Grand Harbour tour was excellent and well recommended. Be wary of very cheap bus tours as it is a timeshare tout trick which means the hard sell for hours at some hotel trying to sell you something for a lot of money.

All the staff at the Hotel Santana were pleasant and friendly throughout our stay. Any small problems were dealt with quickly and efficiently.

We would definitely stay at this hotel again.

Room Tip: Ask for a refurbished room.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
SunrouteSantana, Director of Sales at Hotel Santana, responded to this review, July 19, 2013
Dear Carol N.,

Many thanks for your detailed review of Hotel Santana on TripAdvisor and for your favourable comments about our product and services. I am pleased to note that you enjoyed your stay with us and found our staff pleasant and helpful.
We look forward to welcomig you back to Malta and our hotel on your future visit. Do contact me if I can be of assistance to you with any future booking to our hotel.

In the meantime
LANCASHIRE
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

Just returned from the holiday with my 83 year old mother in law.
Friendly staff will help with any problem. We had previously stayed in this hotel some 5 years ago and it was perfect, now not so perfect.
We were given a back room where the views were less than perfect.
We saw a skip with builders rubble and to our right electrics and pipes pinned to the wall so not good. I would have complained but not wanting to upset my mother in law decided to leave it. Food is acceptable but 5 years ago it was great. Then we had a not so little visitor in our room - a huge Cockroach taking a walk, about 1" in size. I immediately ran for help and he did kill it and flush it down the loo (after me hairspraying it to slow it down) So this hotel is off my list of places to visit.

Room Tip: When booking make sure it is a front room and not a back one. Outside front is lovely but the back...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Dear Jo W.,

Thank you for your review of Hotel Santana on TripAdvisor and more your most favourable comments regarding our product and services. I am pleased to note that you like our new bathrooms and the shaded areas by the pool.

I hope we will soon be welcoming you back to Malta and to Hotel Santana. In this regard do please contact me in case you need more information about prices etc. or any other assistance with your booking.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

I love Malta and for me you cannot beat this Hotel for price and location.
I have been to Hotel Santana now 5 times, and loved it here every time !
The bathrooms have been upgraded - which is wonderful....
The pool now has a shaded area - which is a welcome relief from the hot hot hot days.
Breakfast is always in plentiful supply and the staff courteous as always.
AC and fan in rooms - which gives you the best of both worlds.....

Room Tip: Most rooms have balcony - but to be fair no spectaular views, but good for watching the world go by...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
SunrouteSantana, Director of Sales at Hotel Santana, responded to this review, July 24, 2013
Dear Jo W.,

I am so pleased to read that this was your fifth visit to our hotel and that our product and services again met your expectations. Thank you for reviewing or hotel on TripAdvisor, for sharing your experience and for yourfavourable comments.

We look forward to your sixth visit to our hotel and are at your disposal to assist you with any future booking.

In the meantime we remain
yours sincerley
Castleford, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

This is a good hotel in an ideal location, one minute from the bus station and 5 mins from the seafront and the centre of Buggiba. The rooms are clean and the staff are friendly. The food is good quality but could be so much better with just a little more effort. It is cooked too far in advance meaning that items come out of the kitchen cold because they have been stood too long. On several occasions at breakfast fried eggs and tomatoes were delivered to the bain-maries cold, yuk. There was always a wide choice at both breakfast and evening dinner but time between cooking and consumption does affect the taste. I suppose its one of the problems of mass catering. Smaller batches topped up more regularly might help.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
SunrouteSantana, Director of Sales at Hotel Santana, responded to this review, July 16, 2013
Dear billandann 100,

Many thanks for reviewing our hotel and for your positive comments. I will be discussing your review in detail with our management team, especially with our executive chef, in view of improving our product and services.

In the meantime, should you be returning to Malta and our hotel, do let me know if you need assistance with your booking.

Hotel Santana

Been to Hotel Santana? Share your experiences!