“Extremely Impressive” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Gillieru Harbour Hotel

Save Saved
You added Gillieru Harbour Hotel to your Saves list
Gillieru Harbour Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Church Square, St. Paul's Bay, Island of Malta SPB 01, Malta   |
Ranked #8 of 17 hotels in St. Paul's Bay
Glasgow, Scotland
“Extremely Impressive”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2007

The Gillieru Hotel was an excellent 4 star hotel. Due to an overbooking at the Santana, we were kindly moved to the Gillieru. After reading several reviews about it, I began to be a little concerned. We arrived at the hotel at 4 o’clock in the morning and welcomed by the friendly staff.
The room was very clean and spacious. The maids came every day to deliver clean towels and stock up the fridge. Our room had the most fantastic view of the harbour and it was great to see the boats go in and out every day. The swimming pool on the roof was great apart from it being very salty which I wasn’t used to. The breakfast was really good with a wide variety of cereals, bread for toast and drinks. The dinner was also great having a 3 course meals with a choice of three dishes per course. As we went half board, we decide one night to go the pizzeria in the hotel which was fantastic. However, we were unaware that we didn’t have to pay, as it was part of the half board choice which was an added bonus.
The Gillieru hotel is only a five minute walk to the bus stop where most of the buses pass through. During our stay at the hotel, we wanted to go to Gozo and Comino so we ask the staff at the reception that were very helpful and friendly in advising us on how to do this. She also informed us about trips the hotel can book to these places for a very good price. We decided on a few and the kind woman booked them for us free of charge. We even got picked up and dropped off at our hotel for each trip.
At the end of our stay, we were told we could leave our luggage which was free of charge. This was really good as most hotels I’ve stayed in, charge you to do this. There was also a room provided incase we had a later flight. We were only there for a week but I would definitely have liked to stay longer as this hotel as it was comfortable, friendly and had a great location.

• Liked — Fantastic location and excellent staff.
  • Disliked — The saltiness of the swimming pool.
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple

360 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (134)
malta
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2007

We booked Malta 2wks before we travelled :-)

We traveled with British Jet from Leeds & Bradford airport :-)

Both myself & my husband really needed a break in the sun after an aventful 6mths, this hotel gave us everything we needed.

We was not really sure what Malta would be like & whilst it is nothing like Spain or Cyprus it is a very nice place for a relaxing weeks holiday :-)

The staff are all very helpful & well mannered at the Gillieru

The Hotel was very clean with Freshs bedding & towels everyday

The food was freshly made daily & catered for all adults.
If you have children this hotel is not really child friendly but the staff do make them feel weclcome.
There is no kids club or night entertainment but you are only a short walk away from the main "strip"

I was told there is a night club in Malta but we didn't go, we was happy to walk home at midnight when the bars closed :-)

Females can walk around without any problems, I felt very safe walking to the shop on my own :-)

Generally a nice relaxing holiday with everything we needed :-)

• Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Blackburn, Lancs
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2007

Very disappointing. Hotel in need of money spending on it. Beds dreadful and bed linen terrible. Grey, and dirty-looking. Rooms basic. Bathroom tired and in need of refurbishment. Breakfast poor. Bread, cheese, cereals everyday. Nothing different at all. Other breakfasts available but grossly overpriced. Restaurant staff mostly miserable and unfriendly. Would not recommend this hotel to anyone. Certainly does not warrant 4 stars. A low 3 is generous.

Air conditioning - well that's a joke. Supposedly individually controlled but the system is on a timer and goes off each morning and stays off until about 3 p.m. and also goes off during the night. All the main hotel areas are the same, so nowhere to actually escape the heat from midday until 3 p.m.

Have been going to Malta since 1980 and from experience have found other hotels on the island much better.

• Liked — Dinner was satisfactory
  • Disliked — Lack of air conditioning and poor breakfast choices
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Travelers are raving about these St. Paul's Bay hotels

Newcastle upon Tyne
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2007

After reading some of the reviews on this site , I was starting to have second thoughts about the hotel, but after having spent a week there and have just got back I must admit that it's not bad ! The rooms are basic but clean (and believe me I'm a stickler for that) the continental breakfast was ok, the fruit juice a bit watery. The staff are very pleasant and make an effort to get to know you. The air conditioning in the room was not very good, especially through the night. (Be warned, this hotel did'nt, but some hotels charge 3Lr per night for the Air conditioning, try and check with your Travel Agent). The fridge in the room was kept well stocked and everybody joked about their 'hot fridges' as they did'nt seem cold at all, yet the drinks were freezing.
The lifts had a mind of their own, but you got down stairs eventually. If you want a Safety Deposit box they cost 9LR and I advise you to get one cause when the maids clean the rooms they leave the doors wide open and sometimes they disappear. The pool area was very clean, and everybody used to fight to be under the brollies as there was only 3 large ones. There is a little pool for the very young and the larger one does'nt get too crowded.
If you go out for a meal be prepared after you have ordered it to wait about 1 hour, they don't hurry themselves, everything is so laid back.
You must experience a local bus ride, 40c to go anywhere ! We thought everything was quite cheap and the local shopowners who we spoke to said that they are dreading January 08 when they go over to the Euro as things will double in price.
If you get the chance, go over to Gozo, it was lovely, gold and silver jewelery (you can watch them making it) very cheap also lace and knit wear, we bought some lovely hand knit arran cardigans for just 5Lr each.
All in all, I enjoyed my stay there, don't know if I would go back but I can always say I've been.

• Liked — It was clean.
  • Disliked — Air con.
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2007

Just got back from fabulous week at this hotel. Maybe I am a little biased about Malta itself as I use to live there from the age of 2-6 and am now 41. It was my first trip back since then so quite emotional and although I was young I remembered a lot. I revisted my old home in Tigne, Sliema and actually met the new occupant which was a real honour.

I really couldn't stay whether this hotel deserves it's 4 star rating as I am sure the ratings in our country differ to theirs. What I will say though is the staff here make up for any small shortcomings the establishment itself may have. Rose Marie during the day on reception and Adrian at night, the waiting staff in the restaurant and the general manager all went above and beyond the call of duty on many occasions. Some reviews have mentioned the bedding, towels and breakfast not being up to scratch. I personally loved the breakfast; 3 choices of cereal, white and brown bread rolls and sliced bread that could be toasted, marmalade, butter, jam, coffee, tea and cheese, salami etc. Yes the juice provided is cordial not fresh fruit juice but that is such a little thing. You can opt to pay a little more for scrambled egg etc. No there are no huge fluffy white towels and scorched/bleached bed linen however both were very clean and changed daily. One of the things I could not have tolerated would have been a dirty room.

The pool area is lovely on the roof looking over the harbour and immaculate. There is a little bar that serves drinks and midday snacks as well as showers. I didn't try the fish restaurant after reading the reviews here but I must recommend the bar opposite (Capriccio) which we visted every evening for a nightcap. Get a bus map from the tourist information centre in Valetta as well as a free guide to Malta. Buses are usually about 50cents a trip and Valetta is about 35 mins away. You will learn to love the rickety old orange buses beleive me!

If the fridge in your room doesn't seem cold like ours just call reception and they will get someone to come and have a look at it straight away. We bought a large bottle of water every day and just decanted it into smaller bottles so they would fit and therefore had cold water whenever we set out for the day. There is a mini bar but we didn't use it and there is a bar inside the hotel but we prefered to sit with the locals over the road. We had 2 cockroaches on our first 2 nights but I have to say this is nothing to do with the hotel being dirty. Cockroaches come out in extreme heat in Malta and they were having August tempretures in June! The first night I called reception and the manager came immediately and killed it as it was a little too fast for me but the second night I surprised myself with my speed! My personal feeling is that they were testing the newcomers and as soon as we had defeated two they put the word out in the cockroach community saying 'we better not go into that room anymore, some of our community are not coming back!'

The hotel is about a 10-15 min walk from Bugibba which I don't recommend unless you are a teenager or someone who likes loud music, loads of people getting drunk, partying and tacky souveniers. But back at the hotel seemed like a million miles away from that - peaceful, pretty and handy for bus stop, little supermarket, newsagent etc. Go to Sliema if you like trendy shops like Diesel, Monsoon, Next etc and some lovely restaurants by the sea. Valetta is full of museums - art, archeology etc and the cathedral with the wonderful Caravaggio painting of the beheading of John the Baptist. The Blue Grotto is a must as is a trip to the little fishing village of Marsaxlokk on a Sunday as they have a market. Do visit Rabat and Medina - beautiful old cities and San Anton Gardens (where I use to visit as a child) if you love nature as is full of lovely flowers, trees, terrapins, dragon flies, ducks and of course plenty of Maltese cats. The Ta Qali Craft Centre is a good trip too if you wish to buy a quality souvenir as several businesses have clubbed together here selling the famous silver filagree jewellery, pottery, art works, leather goods and glass. The prices are better here too but take your calculator! The exchange rate was about 1.68 maltese lira to our british pound, they don't go over to the Euro until 2008.

If you have children there is plenty to do in Bugibba - fun fares, bouncy beds etc and of course there are lovely beaches in Mellieha and Golden Bay. So all in all I think there is something for everyone and you can go as slow or as fast as you like pace wise so ENJOY!

• Liked — The staff and the position
  • Disliked — 2 cockroaches but that was simply because of the heat
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Gillieru Harbour Hotel? Share your experiences!