“Excellent location and views.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Gillieru Harbour Hotel

You added Gillieru Harbour Hotel to your Saves list
Gillieru Harbour Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Church Square, St. Paul's Bay, Island of Malta SPB 01, Malta   |
Ranked #9 of 17 Hotels in St. Paul's Bay
London, United Kingdom
“Excellent location and views.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

We stayed here not knowing what to expect from the reviews that we had read.The rooms are quite big,spacious and quiet.We had a balcony with a sea view which was stunning.The room was cleaned every day ,towels were changed every 3days and the bed was changed after 3 days.
The bed was firm but comfortable.The staff were polite and helpful.You can hire a room safe at a cost of 15€ for a week.The pool looked clean although we did not use it.
Now the food well all that I can say is that it's poor quality coffee bitter ,orange juice was watered down and a very poor choice.We stayed for a week and never saw bacon once.There are plenty of good quality places in St Paul's Bay for breakfast.
I found this a good hotel and would stop here again but I would not have the food.

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (159)
Greenock, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

My wife and I spent a week half board at Gillieru Harbour Hotel with friends, another couple. Our room was on the fifth floor with a spectacular view out over St Paul's Bay and St Paul's Island just beyond. Our friends' room was on the fourth floor with a side view and overlooking the water's edge. From their veranda, they could also look out to St Paul's Bay and St Paul's Island. Their veranda was a little smaller than ours. Our rooms were well proportioned.

There is also a spacious Roof Terrace with spectacular sea views as with our room.

Breakfast had a choice of three cereals, fruit, two fruit juices, cold meats, cheese as well as the option of a hot 'English Breakfast'. Tea and coffee were plentiful as was bread, butter jam and marmalade.

Dinner was served from 6.30pm promptly with the choice of soup, salads, cold cuts and pasta etc. There were three tempting options for the main course with generous helpings. There was a choice of four desserts each evening.

The staff at both Breakfast and Dinner were friendly, attentive and nothing was too much trouble as they sought to please at every point. The lady Receptionist who was on duty when we had questions or wanted reservations made was friendly, efficient and spoke excellent English.

The location is ideal for those wishing a relatively quiet retreat and is perfectly located for short cruises from the nearby jetty at Bugibba (Five-minutes' walk) to St Paul's Bay, Comino and Gozo.

We were all delighted with our experience at Gillieru Harbour Hotel and would certainly consider returning.

Room Tip: Rooms on the north side have the best views.
Leeds
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

Trip advisor - Guilliru Hotel (Malta)

Hello all.

I would like to share my recent trip to Malta and also that of the Guilliru Hotel, St Paul's Bay.

Transfers and Room :-

The hotel and transfers were booked online in advance as with most of my holidays. We were greated in Malta by an older looking gent who seemed to speak no English with our name on a sign. The ride to the hotel was nothing short of white knuckle. I understand that the Maltese do drive more recklessly than people from the UK, even so this was an experience I wouldn't want again.

Upon our arrival we were told our room was not ready yet, but feeling glad to be alive and finally at our hotel we left our bags in the luggage room and headed out for some lunch in the meantime. Our room was available on return, I say available and not ready as it was in a shocking state. We paid extra for a sea view room and balcony but as you can see in picture (X) the view was terrible and the balcony could fit only one person at a time. It was at this point things got worse. First of all there was no welcome pack in the room, no idea when the meal times were or where they were infact. The room wasn't cleaned properly even though we had been told to wait longer than was necessary for our room to be ready. The mirrors were filthy (see picture X), the floor was dirty, one light didn't work, the fridge was broken, the TV was more use as a paper weight and an unclean ash try was left on the side!  It was quite late on at this point we decided to stay the night and speak with our rep before breakfast in the morning. Also to ask where breakfast could be found.

First thing we spoke with our rep who was very helpful and moved us immediately. I must say that all the while the hotel employees were perfectly helpful and pleasant. We encounter no resistance to our request to move. I believe the room we were given was substandard, especially as we had paid for a premium room. It's possible the staff had hoped we would not complain as we were younger than the typical guests. That and also that the cleaner had decided to do a half baked job that morning.

Out new room was great, totally as expected. Great view of the sea, big balcony and the room was immaculate, complete with welcome pack detaileing, breakfast, lunch and dinner times, local activities and maps as well as recommended trips. The air con was fully working and we also had a fan in the room, something missing from the first cupboard (room) we saw. The bathroom was much bigger than the first and clean tidy and fully stocked with shampoos, soaps and towels. My only gripe about our new room was that it was located close to the lifts, which on a night could be heard through the wall. I bought some ear plugs and this was enough to sleep uninterrupted. The room was so good I dare not switch on account of this small inconvenience.

Food:-

Breakfast (7:45-10am)was typically two hot items, sausage & beans or eggs and bacon etc. Which rotated daily. There were several cereals available as well as breads, ham and cheese. Also there was a different fruit selection each day. Tea, coffee, fruit juices and flavoured teas were also available. All in all it was a decent selections and the quality was good. Ideal to set you up for the day.

We didn't eat lunch at the hotel but the one evening meal we did have was our first and last (6:30-10pm). I also encourage you to head out and try the local restaurants. Much much better! The evening meal we had we where given a selection of either pasta, salad or soup. I had pasta which was unfortunately over cooked. Then a main choice or either halibut or chicken, available with potatoes and veg. I opted for halibut (being right on the sea). It was really poor, over cooked, full of bones, no flavour and the sauce was thin and oily. I moved on to desert which was a choice of sweet. I grabbed an apple pie which was just ok. I cannot fault the staff at either dinner or breakfast. They were attentive and considerate and a pleasure to speak with.

As I say please venture out and try the local restaurants, I recommend the Guilliru Restaurant, outside and behind the hotel. Known for its fresh fish! It was probably my favourite meal of the holiday. Fantastically cooked, fresh and  served with grilled veg. I tried the fish mix grill salmon, swordfish, king prawn, bass and tuna... All worth the trip.

Other restaurants worth a mention were, the Venus restaurant (fine dining - top of Bugibba square), a little expensive but great! Mirinabelle, next to Fat Harry's bar. Bognar, on the sea front. George's seas view, on the front.

To sum up, the hotel was good, clean, friendly even after initial reservations regarding the first room. Breakfast was also good, plenty of choice and the service was excellent. Evening meals should be avoided especially since all the local restaurants are available to you.

Trips and tours were available via out rep and I do recommend you book on to some. You can get around easy by bus which I also suggest but the tours offer local expertise and knowledge which otherwise you wouldn't have.

I hope I have not discouraged you from booking this hotel as it would be a shame but don't settle for a sub par room as they do have some nice rooms with fantastic views.

All the best

Matt

Room Tip: The best balcony rooms are on the top floor (fifth). I recommend these!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2013

We stayed in this hotel mid of October for one night and we asked for a sea view room and we got a kitchen and a dumb view , bed sheets are worn out and no person could ever feel comfortable sleeping on it, no electricity in the room , TV is not working , the fan is covered with dirt,, whatta a mess.
Please never get a room on the first floor , the restaurant and the kitchen makes the whole floor smell terrible . The rooms smell really really bad.
It's a big disappointment for me and my family

Leeds, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2013

We arrived at 12.45 on 29th sept 2013 everything was in darkness but we were checked in very quickly and went to our room we could have done with a cuppa and snack but everything was close we were offered water but we had some so declined. The room was a nice size very spacious and clean when we looked out over the balcony the next day we hadw a spectacular view over st pauls bay (best view ever) and we have travelled to many places.The bar didnt appear to be open much but this wasnt a problem as we were in walking distance of lots, its a nice steady long stroll to salina bay but well worth it a new aquarium has just opened en route which looks wonderful. If you turn right out of the hotel there is a nice family run cafe looking over st pauls all at reasonable prices.I would like to return when the refurb is done they got many returning guests. food was reasonable a bit limited but always fresh staff always friendly and helpful there was nothing to complain about. and we had brill weather all week.

Room Tip: room 414 quiet and brill view overthepool
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Accrington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2013

this hotel is on the seafront in St Paul's bay and has beautiful views over the harbour. It is only small, a little dated but the room was clean and the staff very friendly. I would stay here again.
The breakfast was limited but the food was good. The pool area was clean, salt water pool which I didn't mind. The hotel is near to plenty of restaurants and a super bus service.

Room Tip: ask for a sea view or pool view, other rooms look out over a busy road.
Bristol, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013

Excellent position right on the harbour, stunning view form the room across the bay, and on the bus route to Valetta. Short walk along promenade to Bugibba square if you want something more lively. Needs a bit of updating but rooms clean and sheets and towels changed every other day. However couldn't get a picture on the TV but that's not what we go on holiday for. Food better than we expected after reading the reviews. Service excellent. Breakfast: juice, choice of 4 cereals, 4 hot choices, fruit and toast. Evening meal: soup, cold cuts, pasta, choice of 3 mains and 4 puddings, all for an extra £6 per person per day. Never had to queue for meals. It wasn't "cordon bleu" but if you want that book into a 5 star. The bar, which was spacious, was dead in the evenings but that may have been a reflection of the type of clientele at that time. The pool and surrounds were clean and were a pleasant way to spend a few hours. Staff very pleasant and helpful. Glad we payed extra for a sea view. All in all good value for money and excellent position.

Room Tip: Corner sea view rooms have double balconies.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Gillieru Harbour Hotel? Share your experiences!