“a great place to stay.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Dolmen Resort Hotel

Save Saved
You added Dolmen Resort Hotel to your Saves list
Dolmen Resort Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Qawra Front, St. Paul's Bay, Island of Malta SPB 05, Malta   |
Ranked #1 of 17 hotels in St. Paul's Bay
London
“a great place to stay.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2009

Istayed at the Dolmen in Bruggiba on a pilgrimage to Malta. (st Pauls footsteps). Its unbelievably good value for money, stunning views, good food, evening ents, quiet areas and pool areas and a spa. And just 5 mins from one of the lovliest areas for swimming - Qwara, full of locals. The best thing though was the service and the staff. They couldn't've been more flexible or helpful, and this despite being busy busy (its popular this hotel). For example, I wanted to extend my stay a few days, and they were full on 1 of the extra nights- so they let me kip down with a few fellow pilgrims and put a bed in their room - at no extra charge - for that night, so I wouldnt have to change hotels. Just great service. I was up at 4am to catch a flight and the night shift got me a cup of tea and bundled me into the right taxi, did all the thinking in fact, which i find hard in the wee early hours! A really wonderful place to stay, and in the process of being futher improved by a lovely face lifting coat or two. Pick either the trendy aircon rooms or the carpeted, more traditional ones if sunken baths aren't your style Go, its great...

Stayed May 2009

1,390 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (390)
  • Polish first
UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2009

e (33 yr old couple + 14 month old little boy) stayed in the Dolmen Resort in May 2009 for 9 nights.

On the way to Gatwick I realised that we needed to have a taxi with a child seat to take us from Malta’s airport to the hotel. I called reception from our UK taxi and Katherine (on Dolmen reception) organised a taxi with a child seat to meet us at the airport – when we landed the driver was at arrivals with a card with our name on it and a child seat in his vehicle. Brilliant!

Our room was large, bright and clean with a double bed and a single bed pushed together and a cot set up as requested. Our room faced into the middle of the crescent formed by the hotel and was quiet.

We stayed on a half board basis which is not something we normally do. We opted for it because we got a great deal and decided it would be easier with our little boy just to walk into the hotel restaurant rather than try and find an external restaurant, and if it was bad, it was cheap enough for us to go write the half-board payment off and eat out. To our delight the dinner buffet was extensive (choice of 3 starters, 3 mains and 3 desserts) and very good.
We enjoyed the food – with so much choice it was always easy to find something that we wanted to eat. We noticed that after 8 days the menu repeated (day 1 dinner is the same as day 8 dinner) but that wasn’t a problem.

The staff in the restaurant were brilliant at helping us with arranging a high chair (there are 3-4 dotted around the restaurant) and loved interacting with our boy (who loved all of the attention!!). A particular thank you to Oliver who took a real shine to us and our boy.

The swimming pools were well maintained on the whole. There is a very small splash pool that wasn’t clean (it was over filled so the skimmers couldn’t work), but the main leisure pool was clear and spotless. There is a swim up bar in the main pool which was good fun. Our boy loved the big pool – nice and warm (when you are over the initial shock!) and great fun. Easily stay in there 30-45 mins just splashing around.

We weren’t sure how we were going to get warm milk for the evening and early morning bottles but it was easy. The hotel café gave us a bottle of warm milk and a bottle of cold milk in the evening. We used the warm milk straight away and kept the cold bottle in the room fridge over night and warmed it under the tap in our bathroom for those 5-6am feeds! The hotel could not have been more accommodating unless they gave him the bottle themselves!

There are a lot of negative reviews on this site about this hotel. Having just returned from our lengthy stay, I can only imagine that the reviewers either paid top wack for their stay and thus expected 5+ star facilities, or are not familiar with the phrase “you get what you pay for”. This is a great hotel if you go with 3 star expectations. It was very clean and comfortable.

The Maltese are very family friendly and welcoming in general – a visit to the islands with your children is highly recommended!!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
Ashbourne, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2009

We recently booked a long weekend at the New Dolmen online, on arrival at the hotel reception we were asked to take a seat as they needed to check something.

30 minutes later we were told that they no longer had any rooms and we would have to stay at a hotel further along in Qawra. The new hotel was not upto the standard we booked and was a long walk from central Bugibba.

The whole thing felt like a huge con, they got our booking but upon arrival when we have no choice and nowhere else to stay we get forced into a lesser hotel.

Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
Riga
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2009

First, they gave us a room with a "view" of the kitchen ventilation shaft. Once we opened the balcony door (which was not very easy to do), the room was filled with cooking oil fumes and a disgusting smell. We changed to another room, which did not have a great view either, but at least did not smell that bad.

Then we had a very unpleasant incident upon checkout. The room was paid for by the organizer of the conference that my wife attended, and we only had to pay for an extra day and the “extra person in the room” (me). When my wife received the invoice to be paid, the amount was nevertheless smaller than expected, so my wife specifically asked the receptionist whether that was the final amount to be paid. Yes, she replied, it was. However, when we returned to pick up our luggage in order to take the shuttle service to the airport, I was approached by a very hostile reception clerk that talked to me almost like I had stolen something from them (“You didn't pay for your stay, you have to pay this” etc.). Apparently they had issued another invoice for me, which they had forgotten to give us upon checkout (“OK, we made a mistake, but you have to pay this”; no apology, nothing). I suggested that we wait for my wife who had the accommodation offer papers, but the clerk still insisted that I pay immediately. So I did, only to find out later that they had overcharged me 25 EUR for God knows what (the invoice says “Misc income” – very informative). Not a large amount, but still an extremely unpleasant experience.

Moreover, they don’t tell you anything about the hotel amenities, breakfast times, checkout times, anything. If they don’t tell you, you’d expect to find this information in your room, but you won’t, you will have to find everything out by trial and error. For example, I wanted to get a towel by the pool. I could not find one, so I asked at the bar. They sent me to the reception to get a voucher. Then I had to take the voucher to the spa center to exchange for the towel. Then I had to take it back to the spa center after use to get the voucher back. When I took the voucher to the reception upon checkout, the receptionist just shrugged her shoulders, apparently could not find it in the system. And perhaps that’s what they overcharged the 25 EUR for.
On the last day of our stay we found out that there was another pool by the sea. Great, thank the reception, again.

Overall, the reception of the hotel is a total mess, and it is really amazing that they manage to recruit such hostile and useless staff, as all the other Maltese we met were very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business
Llanelli, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2009

THE HOTEL:
The Dolmen is a beautiful hotel. The public areas are impressive and well worth the 4* rating. The hotel room however I would rate as 3* (if you're not lucky enough to be staying in one of the suites, or in one of the rooms boasting a sea view). The room we stayed in smelled a little smoky, but we didn't complain because it eased off as the week went on and the room was thoroughly clean. Good range of tv channels on the tv (2 English movie channels, Sky News, several Italian, German, French and Maltese channels too). Hotel has 2 main pools, both are nicely sized and in nice surroundings. The views from the pool overlook the coastline which was so beautiful and instantly welcomes you to the Meditteranean. I will say this...don't be taken in by the 'private beach'. It is not a beach! There is no sand, only a concrete area for sun loungers and a ladder leading right into the deep Mediterranean sea! VERY DANGEROUS! It has to be seen to be believed. There is only a kid's pool in this area (a little way away from the hotel itself), so if you happen to be sunbathing here and want to cool off but are afraid of going in the sea (which has a barnicled sea bed by the way) there is nowhere except the pools at the hotel to cool off in. So you might as well sit by the hotel pools, which more than make up for it. Overall, the hotel is brilliant. Any criticisms are minor and didn't detract from my enjoyment of the hotel at all.

STAFF:
Fantastic!! Reception were more than happy to help if I needed anything, and with good humour too! Cleaning staff very friendly and pleasant.

FOOD:
Fabulous. We went half-board and the dinner was of a standard that you would expect to receive in a restaurant. Great a la carte menu, plenty of choice. No 'burger and chips' meals that you would normally expect a hotel serving the English tourists to have. The breakfast menu was the same each morning, but the choice was extensive. The dinner menu was always varied so we had something different every night. Staff are very quick to take empty plates from you though, even to the point of standing nearby and watching as you finish your last bite!

LOCATION:

Not much in the way of nightlife. Most pubs, bars and restaurants were open but empty, but that may have something to do with the time of year rather than on the night scene itself (we went in very early May 09). It was nice to walk along the seafront just a few steps from the hotel, but that's about it. There is a small open bus depot just about hundred yards from the hotel, so access to transport all over Malta is easy, quick and very very cheap (3.50 euros for an all-day pass across the whole island!)

I would recommend this hotel for families, mature couples and a girly holidays. Not for singles or those who like to party.

South Wales
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2009

My daughter bought me this holiday as a birthday present and we have had a lovely week. The hotel was spotless, the staff extremely friendly and helpful, the food outstanding and the ameneties excellent.
The atmosphere was relaxed, and the hotel was better than we expected. The photographs we looked at did not do it justice.
If you want a week of relaxation then I recommend this resort.
I was sad to come home.

• Stayed May 2009
Bristol
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2009

There must be two different hotels with the same name! The Dolmen Hotel at which we stayed combined a wonderful location, friendly staff, spotless cleanliness, first-class food and service; all at a cost of £1200 for four weeks for the two of us. Some of the reviews I have read must be from people who stayed at some other Dolmen Hotel, where none of these things applied.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Dolmen Resort Hotel? Share your experiences!