Just back in the UK from Malta. First of all, three things to make clear
1. We have never written a review on a hotel before despite being experienced travellers in our forties. We are nearly always happy enough with what we get and are not professional complainers.
2. We are completely realistic about the fact that you dont expect luxury business hotel standards in a basic to mid range tourist hotel and are not spoiled/used to 5 star.
3. We had an absolutely wonderful time in Malta and Gozo apart from this bloody hotel and dont want anyone to thing the Mediterranea is representative of the country, which we enjoyed. But the Mediterranea made Fawlty Towers look like Claridges.
So where to begin?
The room promised was a "side seaview". There was no seaview whatsoever. The decor would have been OK thirty years ago maybe but clearly never updated since. There was black mildew on the shower curtains and on the bathroom tiles. The kitchen and dining area was infested with ants. The TV only had 4 channels (only one in English) - come on! most places now have a few satellite channels. The TV set gave us electric shocks. There was no hot water after 6pm. No instructions on how to work the air conditioning. The sheets and pillows were poor and the sheets didnt fit the bed. There were only three pillows for the two of us. The only coat hangers were ones left by previous visitors. At Breakfast you had to make your own instant coffee with water and a jar (we are talking 40 miles from Sicily here........coffee is possible) the bread was stale, you had to cut the scrambled eggs out of a block and the "orange juice" was like sunny delight.
Even with all this, you might expect the staff to give a damn when you complain. Not a bit of it! A procession of bored, unhappy, unhelpful front desk staff (who must know they are working in a dreadful hotel) had no interest in helping or taking problems seriously. We saw at least two other couples complaining and asking to be moved. In one case, the girl said "can we at least have some free internet use to look for another hotel" answer "no it comes out of my float for the day". In our case and the other two we overheard the staff said "how long have you been here, why didnt you complain before?" - as it its the guest';s fault that the hotel is a disaster! Very clearly badly run, badly in need of an update, and badly in need of a change of management and clear out of reception staff who were universally surly and patronising. And to cap it all, they have proudly on display some certificate dated 2000 from Howard Johnsons chain about being the "international property of the year" as if that fixes everything. And you know what? None of the things that need fixing are difficult or expensive
1. clean bed linen
2. Enough pillows
3. Clean room fixtures and fittings
4. A TV with more than "the cheese and the snow"
5. Adequate hot water
6. Not advertising rooms falsely ("seaview") etc
7. Staff who actually make an effort to help or seem concerned when things go wrong
We actually moved out 2 days into a six day break and found our own accomodation but never checked out of the room. When we came back they had done nothing whatsoever about the things we complained about and even moved another couple in while we were still paying for the room!
When we did move to the Gillieru hotel only 150 yards away - same price range, same room size it was everything mediterranea was not. Helpful friendly staff, clean rooms and linen, modern TV channel range, hot water, etc. What one hotel can do, another hotel can do. Oh and by the way, the Grand Hotel Maltao (in Gozo) which is truly superb, costs only 72 Euro a night for a room at todays rates when the mediterranea is charging 90,
DONT EVER STAY THERE,. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED
David and Anne
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Cheap Tickets, Travelocity, Despegar.com and Hotels.com so you can book your The Mediterranea Hotel & Suites reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Mediterranea Hotel And Suites
- The Mediterranea Hotel St. Paul`s Bay
- Mediterranea Hotel St Pauls Bay
- The Mediterranea Hotel & Suites Malta