“Fantastic stay” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 8 Hotels in Mirano
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Fantastic stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2012

Stayed for two weeks booked via Easy Jet. We stayed on the ground floor in the new section - the room was clean and modern but in keeping with the villa itself with patio doors onto side of hotel. Easy but time consuming to get to Venice on the bus which runs frequently till nearly 1 am. Fantastic restaurant. Really helpful friendly staff in hotel and restaurant. We booked with breakfast which was worth it. Be warned that you need to buy bus tickets from the hotel reception as your Venice tourist ticket from venice.com is not valid on the bus and the ticket inspectors ride the buses quite often leading to heated arguments in Italian. Buses can be very busy when school kids travelling so be prepared to stand occasionally.

Room Tip: Rooms in the new part are quieter as they are away from the restaurant but they are next to the car...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Stafford
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2012

Our 2nd visit to Venice, this time we stayed here on the mainland. We got a fabulous price on this hotel. It was worth every penny. The rooms, infact the whole building, is extremely clean, so much so it looked brand new. The beds were comfortable, 2 singles pushed together make a double but that suited me fine as I like a single bed, I get a good nights sleep without the other 1/2 snoring in my ear, nicking my covers or smacking me one in his sleep. I would have liked an extra pillow and did request one but the hotel didn't have a spare at the time so I used a rolled up towel instead, no biggy. The towels were changed daily too.

All of the staff were helpful and friendly, especially Elena who was lovely and advised which was the best mosquito cream to buy as I was being eaten alive. The restaurant food was really nice, the menu is in Italian with no translation which was interesting on the last night when I ordered a turkey leg thinking it sounded like a chicken dish. I'm not a fan of meat on the bone but there was nothing wrong with the food, just personal taste. The pizza's were huge and more than enough for 1. The pasta dishes as you would expect were also yummy. Prices were reasonable too and the waiters lovely. We ate at the hotel most nights, the town is within walking distance although we drove (lazy). The night we went into town it had been taken over by a massive fair which was really good to see, it hid most of the towns buildings etc but from what I could see there was a nice square with some nice shops and places to eat.

Breakfast was more than adequate, cheese, ham, croissants, choc spread, jams, fruit and cereal, coffee, fruit juice, rolls and boiled eggs, it was the same every day but with enough selection to have something different each day.

The hotel has a good sized pool which I only used the once as we were so busy all of the other days, it is nice and clean. I understand that as the public are allowed to use it also it can get quite busy but when I used it I was the only one there, which was handy really considering I didn't have a costume so swam in my underwear. I also believe they close it at the end of September because it gets too cold (too cold for them maybe but for the likes of us Brits it's still plenty warm enough).

The garden and land surrounding the pool is in good shape too and well maintained.

The hotel is based on the mainland approx 30 minute bus ride to Venice. The buses run from 4.50am - almost midnight and even at that time of the morning they can get a little busy, I was suprised. As it is one of the first stops you will get a seat though. The bus stop is litterally right outside the hotel on the opposite side of the road. We used the bus service to Venice twice without issue, one during the day and again early hours so we could do St Marks with no tourists, it's different with only the street sweepers about. Don't forget to validate the boarding ticket which can be purchased from the bus station on Venice and as there are 3 different places similar to Mirano be specific when asking for the ticket. The ticket costs approx 3 Euro each I think return, I know it wasn't much and even though we hired a car were very pleased we decided to use the bus instead. So much easier and cheaper. The timetable can be downloaded from the ACTV website. I don't have the info to hand but I can help with the info if required.

We also hired a car that we picked up at the airport, the hotel was 1/2 hour drive from the airport and a pretty straight run. We also ventured into Florence (an experience and a half in a car, be prepared for cars, cycles, motor bikes and people EVERYWHERE !!!) you really do need eys in your bum, Lake Garda, Verona, Vicenza and Padova, all done easily from this base as the toll road system is brilliant although it does look a little daunting and the ZTL's.....be very aware of them. Should you require any more info on the road system, ZTL's or tolls just ask and I'll be happy to assist if I can.

All in all a brilliant holiday ! I love Italy !

Many thanks to the staff at the Villa Patriarca who helped make the holiday so good.

Sorry I am so late in posting this review.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2012

My partner and I stayed at Villa Patriarca for seven days over the new year and had a very pleasant stay. The rooms were very clean and were equipped with a TV, mini fridge and basic toiletries. The hotel was exceptionally quiet at all times with the exception of the party leading up to New Years Day. We did not eat at the hotels restaurant because it was closed the majority of the time and we preferred to eat in Venice. I don't suppose this hotel is very suitable for children - it's best for adults. The staff spoke a fair amount of English although were not the most helpful advising us on places we could buy food on New Years Day since every shop and restaurant were closed including the Hotel restaurant so we couldn't eat for the entire day. There is a bus stop outside where you can catch the bus straight to Venice, at two Euros, and the journey takes bout forty five minutes. They allow you free internet access when you request a username. However, they do charge you for room service even when you leave the 'do not disturb' sign hanging on the door and we were given a very large bill at the end of the stay for drinking a few drinks provided in the mini fridge in the room.

Venice, nonetheless, is one of the most incredible and picturesque places on earth. We spent nearly all of the duration of our stay there and had an excellent time. The average meal costs around seven Euros which is OK. The pizzas were not as nice as I had expected, I thought they were like Tesco pizzas. It's always a good idea to have a quick shop in the Supermarkets there since you can buy fresh pizza snacks, what and what not at a very cheap price. Please bear in mind, that despite the fact that English is the most Universal language, nearly every Italian shopkeeper, waiter etc could not speak a word of English and every single restaurant and bar menu was in Italian.This was not cool for me since I was very fussy with pizza toppings.
I must add that I was not pleased with Treviso airport.The airport was very small, very busy and only had two bars which served cold food. We waited two hours in the queue to check in and were told to come back in fifteen minutes so went to the back of the queue and queued up for another hour. Our plane was delayed for two hours and just before boarding I was pulled aside, a staff member emptied out my bag, invaded my privacy in front of everyone and was extremely rude, treated me disgustingly and thought me suspicious because I looked 'tired'. When I got my suitcase back, it was undone and some stuff was missing. Personally, it's a terrible airport. If you go, I would suggest you use the other airport.

All in all, I would recommend Villa Patriarca since we had a lovely stay there. The atmosphere was lovely, the staff were nice and it was clean. I think it would be better to stay there during the summer although during the winter, it's nice too.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2011

Nice hotel, located pretty close to Venice. Apparently, there is a bus right outside the hotel, but since we had a car we didn't use it. The car ride to Venice is somewhat confusing and parking in Venice is a disaster (Loved the Tronchetto parking though. A bit further away, but connected by train, cheaper, larger (in the other parkings we had trouble finding space for even our Smart) and you can pay by the hour instead of the 24h only deals on the other parkings.

In the hotel, we stayed in a very new room, it still smelled of new paint and looked very good. Bed was comfortable and everything was very clean. Didn't have breakfast as it seemed overpriced and we preferred to have breakfast in Venice.

The swimming pool complex behind the hotel is a popular spot for locals and always pretty crowded. Hotel guests get free entrance to this pool. Read about noise from the pool on Tripadvisor, but didn't notice it at all. Music stopped around 22:00 at night and wasn't that loud anyway.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
North East
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2011

Lovely hotel situated on the main route to Venice as you come into Mirano. All the staff were polite, friendly & spoke more English than I speak Italian! The Hotel was a much better than average 3 star.
Approx 10 mins walk into the town centre where there were many nice reasonably priced bars & restaurants situated around the main square. About 5 mins further away there were a couple of supermarkets as well.
The easiest/cheapest way to reach the Hotel is by getting a bus to Mestre from the Marco Polo Airport (15/20 minutes journey) for 5 euros each one way. If travelling with Ryanair it would be better to get the 9 euro return bus to save a euro. When you get dropped off in Mestre, (bus station is next to the train station) cross the main road and get a bus ticket to Mirano (25/30 minutes journey) from the Tabacchi/cafe approx 100 metres from the drop off point.This cost just over 2 euros each and we were shown where to pick up the 'Mirano' bus from. This was about 300 metres away to the left of the shop. The buses from the Hotel run direct to & from Venice every 20 minutes until 1120pm 7 days. When travelling from Mirano to Venice the bus stop is on the other side of the road to the hotel and about 50 metres to the right. A bus ticket from the hotel costs 3 euros each. A bus ticket from the Piazze Roma bus station in Venice to Mirano was 2 euros 60 each.

Room Tip: Our room was room 56 and was newly decorated with a good firm bed & a lovely bathroom.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2011

We stayed at this hotel booked via Easy Jet from the UK. The village Mirano was lovely, up market, green but the Mirano bus takes 45 minutes to an hour to get into Venice so a bit far to go every day in the heat. I emailed the hotel in advance to ask how to get from the hotel to the airport via public transport but they did not reply.Hence this review. You get bus 15 to the Mestre station (stazione)(1.30 Euro) and then walk around the corner to the road with the tram lines (just ask someone) to Mirano and then it is a 40 minute ride on the bus marked Mirano (2.30 Euro). The bus runs right past Villa Partiarca so just look out after half an hour or so.

Venice - 100 Euro for 2 spent easily on hot day in Venice itself.

Then no peace on Sunday from 2 - midnight at the hotel as they hosted a party (I had earplugs so not sure if it stopped earlier). Our room which was fine otherwise was right above the party room.

Menu not in English so take a phrase book. 4 Euro cover charge in the hotel restuarant. Hotel reception spoke English and staff reasonably helpful.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the party room/reception area. Ground floor if you smoke.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Brampton, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2011

We stayed at this hotel from September 20-23, 2011 and can highly recommend it.
Our rooms were in the new addition of the hotel and were new, clean, made up daily, and very modern.
There was free wireless access and very good air conditioning as well..
The hotel also had a large, well maintained swimming pool that we used as much as possible.
The staff at the hotel were very accomodating, especially Elena, who assisted many times with our questions and requests. She was able to make our stay much easier as her command of Englisgh was excellent while ours of Italian was not.
The location is about a 45 minute bus ride from Venice which was fine for us as we got to see the area and stop at different spots along the way.
The hotel has an attached ristorante where we dined twice during our stay, the food was very good and priced affordably.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family

Been to Swiss International Villa Patriarca? Share your experiences!