“Still the Best” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Museum District Bed & Breakfast

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Richmond
Museum District Bed & Breakfast
2811 Grove Avenue, Richmond, VA 23221   |
Ranked #3 of 14 Richmond B&B and Inns
DC
“Still the Best”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2009

This is my second stay at the Museum B & B. I loved it so much I wanted to share it with my family and Anna did not let us down. This time we went to Richmond to celebrate my father's 60th birthday and everyone had an amazing time. We rented the entire main house. Breakfast and wine/cheese was a big hit - best breakfast I have had in a long time. Ideal location and Anna was the best host.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family

162 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Barboursville, VA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2009

My wife and I have travelled fairly extensively in the US and abroad. We have had many wonderful experiences and have stayed in many memorable hotels and B&Bs in Europe and at home. However, much to our delight, our favorite is less than a two hour drive from our Charlottesville-area home.

I'm speaking of the Museum District Bed & Breakfast, an absolute gemstone in Richmond. It is a wonderfully situated old home--as you might guess--directly across the street from Richmond's very good Museum of Fine Arts and near a number of other excellent museums. It is also within walking distance of many excellent restaurants.

While the location is great, what really sets this establishment ahead of all others is charming owner Anna. She is the hostess with the mostest. She has lovingly appointed each room with the touches you would expect at only the finest hotels: tasteful works of art, bottled water (no extra charge), cell phone to call anywhere, those wonderful terry cloth robes. Our room, that is to say, our suite, had its own steam bath, which was a joy to my Russian-born wife.

As the sun begins to settle in the west, guests gather in the dining area to enjoy a glass (or two or three, if you want) of wine and a tray of really world-class cheeses. This actually could serve as dinner. I've certainly dined less sumptuously.

The breakfast is a delight. Delicious croissants, yogurt, fresh fruit, fresh-squeezed orange juice, farm-fresh eggs, smoked salmon. Those in my party who eat bacon (not me) said it was the best they ever had. Not surprisingly, Anna gets it from a nearby specialty butcher shop.

In short, the Museum District B&B is a perfectly balanced blend of cozy elegance. We have been to the Museum District Bed & Breakfast twice and are already planning our next visit.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
Hampstead, New Hampshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2008

My husband and I just got back home earlier today after spending one night at this fantastic B&B. I should tell you up front that my husband was a little freaked out by the whole idea of a B&B. He's more of a hotel kind of guy. I think that Anna may have just changed his mind.

The house itself is beautiful and so wonderfully maintained. We stayed in the Judge Rhea's Suite which was spacious, comfortable, very well appointed and as others have mentioned has an outstanding bathroom with a 2 person shower and steam room alongside the clawfoot tub. To be honest, we were only in town for one day and I felt like we couldn't even begin to enjoy all of the things the suite and the house had to offer. We actually flew out very early this morning, and Anna got up at the crack of dawn to be sure that we at least had some juice, coffee and light breakfast before we left. It was truly above and beyond. She seems to really understand hospitality, and I hope this B&B will be around for many, many years to come.

Last thing... make sure you get a chance to try the local baked goods she picks up every day! They're truly incredible.

• Stayed December 2008, traveled on business
norfolk, VA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2008

This bed and breakfast is the best I have yet discovered in the Norfolk/Richmond/Hampton Roads area. For those who prefer classic charm with modern conveniences and like to avoid places that are "too cute" and "too county" this place is for you. The owner Anna was pleasant without being intrusive. She recommended an EXCELLENT restaurant (Zeus Cafe) 2 blocks from the B&B and then provided a bottle of wine and snacks when we arrived back to our room. The Judge Rhea suite was spacious and the two person shower and tub were beautiful. Breakfast was delicious the next morning. The surrounding area is urban, but the museums and shops a couple of blocks away are worth seeing. Do not anticipate a remote location -- this is right in the middle of the suburbs of Richmond. This place is great for a little getaway for a day or two out of town.

• Liked — The host and the wonderful suite.
  • Disliked — The views from the rooms (but the shades do conceal the view nicely).
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
Charlottesville, VA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2008

I stayed here the weekend of running a min-marathon and the owner was wonderful about accommodating our early morning schedule! The lovely touches like games, musical instruments, and the flexible family suite made for a fun, relaxing and lovely stay. We learned all kinds of information about things to do (and eat!) in the local area, and enjoyed talking with the other guests. Many touches made it an enjoyable stay from in-room coffee makers, robes for all, to wine and cheese in the evening. This was one of, if not the best, bed and breakfast stay I've had. Thank you for your wonderful hospitality. It was a fabulous stay and I can't wait to come back!

• Liked — The wonderful food, thoughtful touches, and super information.
  • Disliked — That I had to leave!
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled with friends
enzyme
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2008

I have never had a better stay anywhere. The accomodations were excellent, the host was truly invested in my having a great stay. I will always stay at this B/B when I am in Richmond.

• Liked — Cleanliness
  • Disliked — Could not stay longer
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled solo
Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2008

If you are looking for beauty, comfort, and hospitality try the Museum District Bed and Breakfast. This B&B is in the heart of the Fan District in Richmond surrounded by museums, great boutique shopping and local restaurants all in walking distance. The Judge Rae Suite is absolutly georgous and the bathroom is a lovers paradise. Anne, the owner, is well adverst about the area and her recomendations for eateries did not disappoint. In the morning she served sqeezed orange juice (my fav), coffee/tea, eggs, bacon, fresh fruit, and many types of bread from local bakeries. She goes above and beyond to accomodate her guest even returning my left items via priority mail without hesitation. This being my first B&B, it is going to be difficult to find another to match what the MDB&B offered.

Stayed November 2008

Been to Museum District Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!