“Yep” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Tarrant's Cafe is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #3 of 1,273 restaurants in Richmond
Cuisines: American
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: N. Foushee
Description: Tarrant's Cafe is situated in the Richmond Old and Historic District. It was an important corner bringing drugstore services to nearby residents for over eighty years spanning the nineteenth and twentieth centuries. 130 years later this building is bringing neighborhood service to Richmond’s community with an upscale but affordable restaurant: Tarrants Cafe.
Wake Forest, North Carolina
“Yep”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

Will just add our voices to the chorus praising this place. We came up from NC for the auto show and chose Tarrant's because it was right down the street from our hotel. A couple of people had already recommended it, but the reality was even better than they led us to expect. I had the surf 'n turf, which was ribeye slathered with Marsala mushroom sauce, while my wife went for the ahi tuna appetizer with a side of seasonal veggies. She couldn't say enough good things about it, and I was greatly impressed with my meal as well. We usually consult TripAdvisor before eating anywhere, but this time we just went for it, and lucked into a really fine restaurant.

90% Recommend
Roswell, GA
“Great crab cakes!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

Had dinner here on a Tuesday night during a recent business trip. We went a little early - around 6:30 - and there was no wait for the table. The complimentary garlic bread was really good, and so was the bowl of she-crab soup. I had the crab cakes for dinner, and they were excellent!, They were served with a little brown rice and some veggies. The coconut cream pie was good, but was served warm, which was a little different. My only criticism is that the service was a little slow.

Richmond, Virginia
“Wow! I was impressed!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

It had started to rain as we arrived and we knew we would have to find a parking lot. Imagine our delight to find FREE valet parking in from the of the cafe! (Of course, when you leave you gladly tip the valet.)

The decor was an antique lovers dream. Lots of huge old paintings and a gazillion chandeliers. The lighting was low but you could easily read the incredible menu. I had looked the menu up on line before we left home and found it to be one of the most varied I have seen. The specials were even listed on line and were extensive. I'm a fish lover and am always glad to find one or two fish entrees. There were probably ten! My husband got the cod special which I tasted and was glad I did. I had the crab stuffed tilapia with a cream and caper sauce. I can't rave enough. The veggies were just perfectly steamed and seasoned. The garlic bread which came before our meals was yummo! We had the she crab soup for starters and it was bett than I have even had at the beach!

Went for a quick dinner before a performance. Part of our party was 15 minutes late arriving so we were a little worried about time. We told the delightful server that we needed to be out by a certain time and she made it happen, with five minutes to spare! So many restaurants are using food runners now-a-days and I just love it when all four of us were served in the same second.

The only thing I hate about this rave review is it might create a crowd the next time I want to go!

• Visited March 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Richmond, Virginia
“Neat downtown eatery”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

Tarrant's Cafe used to be a pharmacy many years ago and is now a very nice place to eat. We had lunch on a Thursday afternoon and were seated quickly after we were able to find parking on the street. The staff was courteous and efficient. The food was very good. They had some great local beers on tap. Definitely want to come back for dinner.

• Visited March 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Virginia
“Casual neighborhood feel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

Folks at a nearby hotel recommended Tarrant's, and I'm glad they did: we wanted something light, vegetarian, and well prepared. Tarrant's fit the bill, plus they have a tremendous selection of craft beers on tap. Despite the fact that it's in a sketchy location, it's worth checking out.