“Low quality” 2 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Cuisines: Gastropub
“Low quality”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

Despite the many recent negative reviews, I went to Popkin anyway, because it was withing walking distance, and they had trivia. Although the experience wasn't awful, I wouldn't go back again for dinner. I would possibly sit at the bar, but definitely not get dinner. The food was dismal. Not awful, but nothing really good. Definitely overpriced for the quality.

Service - terrible. I waited 10 minutes for my drink, and when it was brought, it was the wrong one. Then I waited almost 20 minutes for the correct drink, and to order dinner. This was a Tuesday night, and there were only 3 other tables in our section. Later in the evening, we ended up asking the bartender for another drink, because the server wasn't paying attention to us.

We stayed for trivia, which was fun, but not super exciting. There were only a few tables participating, and at the end, there were only two tables left. We won second place by default, and although the DJ kept saying there was no prize for winning, we did get prizes at the end. I guess that's the reward for sticking it out the whole time? The winning table received a gift certificate, and we received a Jagermiester party pack - tshirts, hats, sweatbands, etc. I'll never use the stuff, but it was a nice surprise. The trivia was a little strange though. The categories were weird and difficult, and it definitely was not made for a younger crowd.

I feel like the place really has a lot of potential. It's large, in city center, so it's right in the middle of First Friday art walks. The service just needs a push in the right direction, and they need a decent chef.

• Visited October 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

Richmond, Virginia
“Good place for a beer & sandwich”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2012 via mobile

Cool atmosphere and a great place to have a cocktail. The bar is big and it's a fun place to hang out. The menu is good; would recommend the burgers and sandwiches.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“disappointing”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2012

used to be a cool place to go. nice location, renovated furniture store but the last time we were there, it was empty, servers seemed bored and the food was greasy. too bad.

“Just OK”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2011

I like the atmosphere at Popkin, the big windows, the city feel. At our recent meal they were out of the first two items that I ordered. My third choice, a pasta dish, was just OK. My wife was happy with her pasta dish and the 12 year olds liked their burger and pizza. The wine by the glass was also just OK. Our server did well with us and I commend her for it. She had more than her fair share of tables and still was cheerful.

• Visited November 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Richmond, Virginia
“It was the most awful restaurant expereince I've ever had! I will never return!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2011

First of all we had to wait 1 hour for our appetizer, fried calamaries, we had to go get the manager, then we we got our entrees mine did not match the description on the menu; it said stuffed chx breast with goat cheese. It was one slice of chx w/ goat cheese sprinkled on top of it and it wasn't tasty at all. It was just 3 of us. Then it was time to pay. It took the waitress forever to come to our table to get my credit card an run it . by now I was just so pissed off. The whole expereince took 3 hours!!!!! What a waste of time and money. The food was awful! Will never ever return.

• Visited July 2011