“Soccer trip” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #11 of 81 hotels in Richmond
Roanoke, United States
“Soccer trip”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2013

Just wanting to let you know there is a bar and if your in the main building be prepared for a lot of noise if you are on the first floor. Asked for a 2 queen non smoking room and when I got there found out it was over the bar and then we were put in another room which the discovered it a smoking room. Not happy!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Lori_Gantz-Shelton, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Governor's Inn, responded to this review, November 19, 2013
I want to take the time out to thank you so much for leaving your feedback on TripAdvisor. I am so sorry to hear that you encountered some issues during your stay with the noise from the lounge. We make every attempt to assign the rooms over the lounge last however on busy weekend with a full house, it becomes quite a challenge. I am very sorry about your experience and we hope that you would come back and give us another try in the future.

202 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Poole,Dorset
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2013

I recently stayed at this hotel and the room was very comfortable and all the staff were very friendly and courteous. It is situated close to many retail outlets and restaurants and although it is near to a busy dual highway there was very little traffic noise

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Lori_Gantz-Shelton, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Governor's Inn, responded to this review, November 13, 2013
I want to thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback regarding our hotel on TripAdvisor. We strive to make every guest's stay exceptional. I am very happy to hear that my staff provided you with excellent Customer Service and that you were impressed with our hotel. We hope that you will return in the future. Again, thank you for taking the time to respond on TripAdvisor.
Rocky Point, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2013

We stayed there two nights in October 2013. the staff was nice, the price was good and the included breakfast was fine. But what stands out the most, is the decor.I was amazed at the work that went into the buildings. The outside had brick everywhere - the walls, the stairs, the s- shaped borders around the plantings, and the entrance posts. Then you go inside. Yep, more bricks on the inside walls, plus fieldstone accents. Our room had a dungeon-like arch on one side,and a fieldstone wall on the other side. Looking up, there were 48 coffered cells on the ceiling, plus a triangular pediment above the door. An amazing display of redundant trim work.It was as if the place used to be a masonry and carpentry school. Since I used to do this kind of work, I was awestruck at the amount of man hours that went into this place .Wherever I looked there was more detail to absorb. We enjoyed staying there, but I could see that it may be off-putting to someone looking for calmer surroundings. Having said that, we would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: If you Don't want to hike across the parking lot for breakfast, stay in the main building.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Lori_Gantz-Shelton, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Governor's Inn, responded to this review, November 7, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time out to post your feedback on TripAdvisor. I am so glad to hear that you were impressed by the decor. We love our property and its uniqueness. Just driving up can be spell binding. Our staff takes pride in our hotel and do an excellent job of maintaining it. Thank you again for leaving your feedback and we look forward to seeing you again.
sarasota, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2013

Staff very friendly and helpful. Big spacious and clean rooms. Above average breakfast kept clean and full. Location is close to many fine restaurants. Staff seemed happy to have us, not a inconvenience .

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Lori_Gantz-Shelton, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Governor's Inn, responded to this review, November 4, 2013
Thank you so very much for taking the time to leave your feedback on TripAdvisor regarding the Best Western Plus Governors Inn. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed the comfort of our big rooms and that the room was nice and clean for you. We take pride in our hotel and the staff does such a good job. Thank you for recognizing them. We hope that you will stay with us again in the future.
philadelphia, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2013

our stay at best western governors inn was very good. being handicapped people, the staff went out of their way to help. the rooms are very large and had enough room for 2 wheel chairs. however the handicapped room isn't truly handicapped accessible, the shower is a standard tub without a shower chair. so if you need one please bring your own shower chair. the breakfast room is large and well maintained and the attendant is extremely helpful.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Lori_Gantz-Shelton, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Governor's Inn, responded to this review, November 1, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to provide us feedback regarding your stay. I am very happy to hear that you were provided excellent Customer Service from our Breakfast Attendant Penny who was overseeing the breakfast that weekend. I am sorry to hear that you had trouble with the bathtub however. I just wanted to let you know for future reference if you decide to stay with us again, we have shower chairs that we can provide you with. Just contact the Front Desk and we can get you one immediately. Once again, thank you for your feedback and staying with us and I look forward to your next visit with us.
Scottsdale, Arizona, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

Seldom offer a review however this establishment deserves one. If you must stay in the area I totally recommend this facility. The staff, notably Veronica, the attention to customer comfort and overall amenities are well above average. Do not let the cost of the rooms leave you with an impression. I would even recommend GovSuites to my boss.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Lori_Gantz-Shelton, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Governor's Inn, responded to this review, October 25, 2013
I want to take the opportunity to personally thank you for taking the time to post a review on TripAdvisor. On behalf of my staff and myself, we want to thank you for the positive comments you posted regarding your stay with us. We take pride in our hotel and the staff that deliver such a great service. We hope that you will return to Best Western Plus-Governor's Inn Richmond, Va. in the future. Thank you for any recommendations that you do on our behalf, it is greatly appreciated.
Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

We stayed at this property for 2 nights while attending the Richmond Folk Festival.
Upon entering the lobby you are greeted with unusual interesting decor- red brick architecture.
Staff at front desk very helpful. The 2nd floor [main building] has both smoking and non-smoking rooms. We stayed in a non-smoking room on that floor and when you got off the elevator the smell of smoking permeated the corridor and was also present in our room. We had a nice big room with comfortable queen beds, microwave, good size fridge and safe.There is a nice breakfast room with a large variety of both hot and cold items which are constantly being replenished. If ever in this area we would choose to stay here again and would recommend this property.

Room Tip: If you want a non-smoking room , ask not to stay on the 2nd floor in the main building.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
BW_Governors_Inn, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Governor's Inn, responded to this review, October 23, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to respond to Trip Adviser with your comments regarding our hotel. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay. I do want to apologize for the smell of smoke as you came off the elevator and the smell that came into your room. I will definitely look into that and see if I can find something that will eliminate that odor on that particular floor especially. Again, my sincerest apologies and I hope that will not deter you from staying with us again in the future.

Been to BEST WESTERN PLUS Governor's Inn? Share your experiences!