“Love this place.” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Richmond, VA
“Love this place.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2012

We've been getting takeout from here for years. It's so good. Love the duro wot and the kitfo. My mouth is watering just thinking about it. They have changed their injera (the bread) and I'm not crazy about the kind they use now, but it doesn't stop me from getting the food. Love it.

• Visited December 2011
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

60% Recommend
Richmond, Virginia
“Outstanding service!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2012

My husband, 16 year old daughter and 9 year old son tried Ethiopian food for the first time. While the food was tasty, the outstanding quality of the restaurant was the service. We felt like our server genuinely wanted to provide us with a great experience. He talked us through the menu to determine what would best suit us and kept checking to make sure we were pleased with our meal. My 16 year old does not tolerate spicy food very well and he did his best to make sure she had something she could enjoy. The atmosphere was fun--we like to try new things. Our 9 year old son LOVED being able to eat without silverware. Also very conveniently located to the Landmark Theatre.

• Visited February 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Ashland, Virginia
“Just don't like this type of food”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2012

Place is nice, unique and if you like eating oddly spiced food with your fingers, well then, enjoy.

Visited February 2011
Richmond, Virginia
“The Best and the most Authentic Ethiopian I've had - Delicious”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2012

I've lived in Richmond for a year now and I must say Nile is probably the most under rated restaurant, maybe because of Richmond being a not too big city or because of the restaurant's location, I'm not sure why. It is my absolute favourite place for a fulfilling meal in this city.
The outward appearance of the building may not be too inviting but the interior, though small, is cosy and tastefully done. The only minus about this place is that they dont have parking, so you might have to park a little further away and walk. I live nearby so I've never had to worry about parking as I take an evening stroll to the place.
I'm a regular here and during all my visits I was served by either one of two servers both of whom were really good (They might be the owners, I'm not sure), except for once when it was a young girl who was inattentive.
Nile being the first Ethiopian I had tried, though I fell in love instantly with the food and could feel the authenticity of the flavours, I wanted to try another popular Ethiopian restaurant for a comparison before I could be sure of what kind of a review I should give. I got the chance a few days back when I visited Washington DC. 'Meskerem' is rated as the best Ethiopian eatery in the whole of the DC area and it's in the top 50 best bargain restaurants in the city. I should tell you, the flavours and the food, the service and the ambience - none of these were even close or comparable to Nile, (though it was a much bigger place than Nile). So now I can confidently give Rave reviews for Nile!
My fav entrees here are - The 'Yesiga' (beef) or 'Yedoro' (chicken) 'WAT' in extremely flavourful berbere sauce AND The 'Salmon Tibbs', juicy, spicy and flavourful. The 'Nile Doro Dulet' is also good - spicy. The appetizer 'Berbere Katenya' with crispy injera and farmers cheese is also good.
For Desserts - their 'Baklava' is THE BEST I have tasted so far! The baklava might seem a little expensive as it's a small piece that is just right for 1 person, but it's worth it. Their coffee is really flavourful and I have it black as I dont want to spoil the flavour by adding cream!
In short, Nile is my shortcut to Ethiopia!

• Visited January 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Richmond, VA
“Step out of you Standard American Diet”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2012

and into authentic Ethopian cuisine. Fascinating flavors, textures and presentation.