“Great scone mediocre coffee” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #110 of 1,373 Restaurants in Richmond
Greensboro, North Carolina, United States
“Great scone mediocre coffee”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

The quality of the food is consistently good. On this occasion, I had the cinnamon scone. It was outstanding. It's large enough to share but it was my dinner! Their coffee is better than some, but if like something more robust like Starbucks, you will be disappointed. The service is alway very good, very friendly.

Visited November 2013

York, Pennsylvania
“Extremely Mixed Feelings”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2013

I came here with my grandmother, a Richmond native who raves about ET's fresh, local produce and vast selection of organic and specialty foods. The first thing that struck me about ET were the wallet-unfriendly prices. I wouldn't recommend coming here if you have a strict budget, unless you only plan on getting a couple of items. I honestly don't know if I will come back to ET next time I'm in Richmond. The lackluster customer service and the pushy, inconsiderate customers were a major turnoff. One of their employees practically ran over my 89-year-old grandmother who uses a walker. Several oblivious customers were also getting pushy. I couldn't believe it and had a hard time trying to shrug it off. Is this place ever not busy and crammed with people? I will say the lunch was good, but overrated and overpriced. I had a bacon, spinach, and tomato wrap with an "Almond Brother" smoothie. To be honest, I have had better smoothies from Orange Julius, but I guess since ET's smoothies have witty names and are made by melancholy hipsters with gauge piercings, they can charge a whole lot more. I think the only reason it's worth going to ET is to get the specialty items you can't really find anywhere else. And as I said before, make sure to skip it if you're budgeting or bring some extra cash.

• Visited December 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Martinsville, Virginia, United States
“Natural and Locally Grown Products”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

I am a faithful Ellwood shopper/supporter. Every community needs an alternative to chain markets! would give 5 stars, except the Deli department has been slipping of late. I have had correspondence with the manager (he offered me a gift certificate, which I declined) but it still is not back to the high standards I expect of ET. Not giving up on them - just trying to help them stay on top of the inevitable issues!

Visited November 2013
Richmond, Virginia, USA
“Local natural supermarket still hold its own”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

Elwood Thompson is a Richmond institution for good reason. Places like it are the homegrown predecessors of Whole Foods. ET's gets it right. They have a great broad selection of local and national foods and produce priced competitively and are staffed by friendly knowledgable folks. If you are into natural foods and supplements and want to spend your hard earned dollars locally go here and skip the chains.

Visited October 2013
Durham, North Carolina, United States
“Try the buffet”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013

You can believe other reviewers that the grocery portion does put Whole Foods to shame, but be sure you also take a look at their buffet. One night a week is (very good) Indian food, but other times, they have many different kinds of vegetables. It's perfect if you want a healthy smorgasbord and a chance to try something out of the ordinary.

• Visited October 2013