“Rising Star of Tobacco Row” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #84 of 1,374 Restaurants in Richmond
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Richmond, Virginia
“Rising Star of Tobacco Row”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

Catch this rising star before it becomes a destination restaraunt. The food is excellent, the sushi is to die for and the service is outstanding. Portion sizes are large. The wine and beer selection is extensive. The atmosphere is relaxing and features a trendy upscale decor. It is similar to RVA's Osaka, but more diverse in your choices. Parking is not an issue, you park directly accross the street. There is a private dining room for small parties, which continues the trendy upscale decor and features a large wall fireplace.

You might wonder how a new establishment can start off this well, you need to consider Chef/Owner Hai is already a successful RVA restaurant owner (Wild Ginger and Osaka) and General Manager Mike Hinnermann has managed several successful RVA restaurants (Wild Ginger and Osaka). This has become a favorite spot for our family and friends.

• Visited August 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Richmond, Virginia
“Haiku Sushi - A Plethora of Delicious Roll Choices”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

Haiku Sushi is now open in Shockoe Bottom. We went a few weeks ago and had a delicious time. The new restaurant inhabits the space that was one Sensei. Vestiges of the old decor now mixes with the new. The owners of Haiku have (or had - not sure of the details) a connection with Eat Partners and parts of the regular menu resemble offerings from Wild Ginger or Osaka. But Haiku also presents a secondary menu listing 30 different rolls. Wow! What a quandary. So many choices.

We opted to order a bottle of wine - Roza Ridge Cabernet from Washington State and Steamed Spicy Pork Dumplings while we made decisions on which rolls to try. I fell in love with the dumplings. The dumpling skin was thin which thrilled me. So many places use a thick, bland skin that fills me up, but does not satisfy. The pork filling was tasty and the soy-based sauce, delicious.

And then it was roll time. We splurged and ordered two rolls each. We were not disappointed and left quite full. One of the things I generally get at a sushi restaurant is yellowtail sashimi; sometimes with rice, sometimes not. Haiku did me one better with the Silk Road Roll - spicy tuna topped with yellowtail and avocado and served with a wasabi mayo. I really got the best of all worlds. I could pull the yellowtail out and eat as is while enjoying the rest of the item as a true roll. I also had the Shockoe Roll - spicy shrimp topped with avocado and beet. Yummy!

Hubby went with the Sleepy Hollow Roll - tempura shrimp, jalapeno, onion, cilantro, spicy kani as well as the Friday Roll - a tuna, goat cheese, and avocado roll tempura fried. Both were delicious. It's recommended to eat the Friday Roll first to enjoy the warm goat cheese.

A tasty time throughout our visit.

• Visited July 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Worth the Drive”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

I live WAY out in the suburbs, but I've known the owners of Haiku for several years and really wanted to try out their new place. It was definitely worth the drive in from Powhatan. Chef Hai and GM Michael recently left Osaka River Road to open Haiku. Those who are familiar with the menu at Osaka will recognize some old favorites. I was especially happy to see that the menu at Haiku features more Vietnamese entrees. I had the beef tataki and seafood pho. Both were outstanding. My husband is still raving about the pulled pork appetizer special. If you live in the Bottom, you should definitely check this place out. Even though it's a long drive, we will definitely be incorporating Haiku into our list of favorite places.

• Visited July 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Richmond, Virginia, United States
“Forest City Roll is the Bomb!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

So I didn't want to cook last week (shocker!) and convinced the hubs we need to try out the new sushi place right by our house. It's in the old Sensi location and they've made some tweaks to the layout. The mesh curtain that was used to cut the room in half when it wasn't full now curves along the bar area to separate it from the dining area. The back wall is the sushi bar. I didn't notice where it was until after we were in a booth - but that's where I'll be heading next visit.

We started with sashimi and ordered uni (a huge portion for $7.50) and then mackerel and red clam. Each order is only two pieces for your $4.50-$4.75, so it feels a little dear. However flavors were fresh and on point so no complaints on that. Next time I may swing by Sumo Sam for sashimi before hitting Haiku.

The rolls are where they REALLY shine! Oh my goodness! We had the Spider Roll, the Forest City Roll, and the Volcano Roll. The Forest City Roll had lobster people! You know how I feel about lobster! Seriously big pieces of tempura lobster sticking out of the roll. In case you are thinking, how would I eat that? I ate it with my hands. You're welcome.

I had a Bell's Two Hearted which seems to be my sushi go to beer from a really well curated beer list. We will definitely be back here so I can get my Forest City Roll on.

• Visited June 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
McLean, VA
“Great new sushi place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

This restaurant had just opened up June 1, 2013 and we were there four days later. We were impressed. They have an interesting menu that's more than sushi- it includes ceviche, tempura, pho, and Thai food among others. We ordered sushi. My daughter pronounced the spicy tuna roll the biggest she'd ever seen. The forest city roll which included lobster tempura was amazing- just melted in your mouth and it also was huge. Eel roll and shrimp tempura were also good and reasonably priced. It's an attractive restaurant, very modern, with a bar. We will be back. We understand that the bento boxes at lunch are really big but we didn't get there at lunch. There is easy street and lot parking and it's a great addition to a great neighborhood.

• Visited June 2013