“Great Pulled Pork BBQ” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Barbecue
Norfolk, Virginia
“Great Pulled Pork BBQ”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

I stopped in Dickey's while I was in Richmond today. I tried their pulled pork BBQ which I found to be very moist and tender. They had a good selection of BBQ sauces that were self-serve, for you to choose from or sample as many as you want! Next visit, I want to try their Beef Brisket too.

• Visited September 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Richmond, Virginia
“Close to Texas, but you can tell its a chain…”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

I am a native Texan, which means (it says in the contract and state citizenship papers) that I have to love barbeque (otherwise known as Bar-B-Q to the civilized). Dickey's (so says the sign and website) is a Texas-origin place, and I am inclined to believe them, although my personal prejudice against air-conditioned, chain restaurants comes from my Grandpa Johnson insisting that the only places you should EVER eat Bar-B-Q in are places that have wire screen doors that slam behind you when you walk in and flyswatters available at every table. Dickey's fails that test, but the meat ain't bad eatin'!

The specialty here is the tasty chopped brisket - which comes out juicy because it is so full of fat. I cannot imagine eating it too often because there is no beer to wash it down (note to Dickey's - my grandpa would have pinned you against the wall and asked how you could call yourself and Bar-B-Q joint without selling Shiner and Lone Star). You can also get your brisket sliced, along with other pit staples like pulled pork, smoked sausage, chicken, turkey, ham and ribs. All really good, if a little institutional (the smoker looks like an industrial machine of some kind). The sides are pretty good too, but WHERE ARE THE GREENS WITH PEPPER VINEGAR? Bypass the average baked beans for the really good jalapeño beans. as one of your sides. For people who finish their dinner, there are tiny self-serv soft-serv cones.

If one of my area faves were closer (Buz and Neds or Extra Billys) I'd go there, but with this just down the street, I am content. I wouldn't take Grandpa here, but I am happy enough to eat here a few times a month.

• Visited May 2013