“New Years at the Savory Grain - Not a bad meal yet.” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch
Richmond, Virginia, United States
“New Years at the Savory Grain - Not a bad meal yet.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014

We have been going to The Savory Grain since about March.I tell them each time I go that I haven't had a bad meal yet.New Years at the Savory Grain was no exception.What a feast we had,it became the best meal yet.This Richmond tap house offered a fix priced menu just for New Years Eve.I had a lobster bisque to start,a nice salad with the right kinds of cheese ,the best scollops anywhere wrapped in bacon with goat cheese covered green bean,and toping off the night was a pear tart with ice cream. I had so much to eat that i didn't want the champagne that came with the meal. Not a bad meal yet is all I can say.

• Visited December 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

“Simple food, great atmosphere and service.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2013

I was dining solo, so the hostess seated me at the bar. On a Wednesday night, I expected it to be a little empty, but I couldn't have been more wrong - I was scooting over to make room for more people to fit in! I ate dinner at the bar so the bartender was my "server," but I didn't find the service lacking at all. He was really great about giving me tips and recommendations, and checking in on me despite my lack of booze ordering. The pimiento cheese was truly wonderful - a little too smooth for my taste, but nonetheless delicious. I had the smoked chicken quarter, which was very good but not mind blowing. I found the stuffing a little too herby, but the chicken was great (flavorful and moist), the cranberries were great, and the asparagus was great. The prices were reasonable. I would definitely come back again - there are a lot of other things on the menu I'd like to try!

• Visited December 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Richmond
“I want to keep going back until I've eaten everything on the menu!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2013

I thought twice about giving this restaurant such a stellar review, because it's small and if word gets out, I'll never get in! They don't take reservations for fewer than groups of 5. Three of us went. First of all, the waitress was wonderful...knowledgeable, helpful without being overbearing. We ordered wine and mixed drinks, but when I return, I will sample from the extensive beer list. The squash soup is fantastic! (but I also wanted the chowder and every salad except the chopped). The wild boar was cooked perfectly, falling apart, and the flavor delicious...not too gamey. The sauce was scrumptious, and the crispy leeks a nice change in texture. Two people ordered the spaghetti squash and loved every bite (still, that should be disallowed...everyone MUST order something different so we can taste more items). I was hoping that someone would order the fish of the day with spicy mango salsa so I could sample, but alas, I'll have to return. The chocolate bread pudding SHOULD NOT be missed. It is indescribably delicious (and I'm not usually much of a bread pudding lover), and the pumpkin ice cream was a perfect accompaniment, although it could easily be enjoyed solo. What's left to say, but GO, JUST GO!

• Visited November 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
North Carolina
“Absolutely fantastic”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2013

The food was amazing, the drinks were good, and the staff was knowledgeable. I had the braised rabbit pot pie. I was on a business trip, and it broke my heart to leave my leftovers behind because I had no way to keep them cold for eating later. Everyone at the table enjoyed their food- shrimp and grits, steak, the spaghetti squash, butternut squash soup, and the appetizers, frog legs and the kale and artichoke bruschetta. The Savory Grain has a wonderful drink/beer menu, and the servers really seem to know their stuff.

• Visited October 2013
Richmond, Va
“Love this place!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2013

I have been here twice now, liked it so much the first time returned for my birthday. The service has always been great, staff is knowledgable about the menu and drinks. The homemade pimento cheese is delicious and I love the oysters priced reasonably along without being too small. Savory Grain's menu changes with the seasons which is great because you get dishes featuring fresh in season foods. Lots of options with apps, then small and large plates, something for everyone! There is a cozy feel to the restaurant which also has outdoor sitting and a back room for parties. I have recommended this place to co-workers, friends and will be back either to just split apps at the bar or for dinner. Love it!

• Visited September 2013