“Nice little place with great food. . . I don't get the pile-on mentality and inaccuracy of these other reviews” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Kanpai Japanese Steakhouse

Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Richmond, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013

Let me start by saying that the other reviews I read were basically useless.

I ate here once or twice in the last 10 years and I enjoyed myself . . . now fast-forward to 2013. I read the reviews prior to purchasing a Groupon daily deal being offered. After reading the reviews I almost didn't purchase the deal, but I'm glad I did . . .

The restaurant is not a huge over decorated Japanese steakhouse. It is an owner in the restaurant as he has been for 13 years trying to do the best he can why people play the game of piling on with these review sites.

So if you go in expecting an immaculate Japanese steakhouse superstore . . you will be disappointed.

This location is a older modestly decorated Japanese steakhouse that has great tasting well prepared food. It is a clean environment that speaks to you as a slightly older restaurant would.

This restaurant has a certain charm and authenticity that I enjoyed, the food was very good, the atmosphere has pleasing, simple and calm and the service was good.

The owner appears to be an old school Japanese man, he's not going to take your crap attitude, nor will he likely show an over abundance of emotion . . . he is a serious guy running a business that is unjustly being beaten up on review site by people that may not know what they are to expect or that want to expect too much . . . Again, this is NOT some superstore, it is a small owner run business and that is the personal feel it has . . . .

My party of 5 completely enjoyed ourselves and will definitely return. . . I didn't go in with expectations of a circus act, I expected good food, good service and a nice atmosphere at a reasonable price . . . I received all of those.

• Visited August 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Richmond, Virginia, United States
“THIS PLACE SUCKS!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

Had a Groupon for 4 people and they added a $20 tip automatically. When I questioned the owner (he being a man, me being a woman) he told me to be quiet and stop complaining. He was very RUDE. And they added the tip automatically to the family of 3 seated near us also. DO NOT GO THERE! Food wasn't that good either.

• 1 of 5 stars Food
Virginia
“buyer's remorse”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

Zero stars. Actually signed up for Yelp to write this review. Wanna find a business location for rent? Look next door to Chuck E Cheese on Midlothian Turnpike, because this place won't be in business for much longer. The place had absolutely no other customers for our entire visit. The decor was awkward, the bathroom floor was sticky, and of the family that served us, the child was the most professional. The owner seems to have "buyers remorse" for having signed up to offer a Groupon, so he tacks on 20% gratuity (how about 18 to leave a little discretion?). Then, he tried to unilaterally change the deal. After a moment, I realized he was crediting only half the $60 due shorting me $30. When I brought it up, he said "I can't make money on vegetarian". The first thing we established upon being seated is that we intended to redeem a Groupon. We asked while ordering if there was a vegetarian selection and they simply said "yes". The veggie choice was rung up at $11.95. I was not familiar with the groupon, so I asked to see it again, and it said to order 4 meals from the menu, so I glanced at the menu and the first item was $17.95, so I said "why not just tell me that for the Groupon, the veggie price is $17.95?" It wasn't on the menu, so I would have no idea what the price was. He was going to charge me $41.95 for the veggie choice by cutting my credit in half. Why would I try a new restaurant by paying $30 up front, being given bad service, forced to tip at 20% and wonder if I will be ill due to cleanliness issues? I see no reason why anyone should eat there...you'd do better next door at Chuck E Cheese. The cook was quite poor executing the Hibachi style cooking show (but did cook the meat and seafood to the proper doneness). We even had to ask for to-go containers despite the fact that all of us had sizeable amounts of food left over that we were clearly not eating anymore (at least the portions were generous). I was very polite in discussing the issue with the bill, yet still got cussed out in Japanese. I wonder what he would have done if we hadn't ordered drinks for everybody too and just had the water instead? Just for full disclosure, the soup and salad were tasty as was the rest of the food, but I thought they could use less margarine. And in case you're still going to go there after reading this review, get the filet Mignon rather than the standard steak. We had both, and after a side-by-side taste test, the filet is well worth the upcharge.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Disputanta
“Saturday night, too!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

We were the family the Blahblahblah was seated with. (We do not know them!) When we entered, we told the man we had a party of 11. We were asked immediately if we were using Groupon. When I told the owner I had 1 for my family of 5, my sister had 1 for her family of 4 and my parents had 1 for their party of 2. We were paying separate bills. He told me that he would only take 1 because he wouldn't make any money. When my sister came in, we explained what had gone on and we decided to leave. At that point, the owner tried to convince us to stay but he would still only accept 2 of the groupons because he would (repeat) not make any money. My sister told him he needed to stop advertising on groupon and that he would make no money from us because we were leaving.
Even without that issue, I would not have wanted to eat there. The odor in the restaurant was a little disgusting. And Blahblahblah is correct - my son was playing with the chopsticks and anything else on the table in front of him. Nothing from our table should have been given to another customer!

“Saturday night”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

We entered the restaurant and sat at a table with another family. After ten minutes we were moved to a table on the other side of the room for no reason. The other family had an issue with the manager taking the groupon coupons upon their departure the sauces at that table were then placed on our table. When a couple entered the restaurant they were also given sauce and full glasses of water from the table. We asked for our check to pay for the bottled beer we had consumed at which point the older Asian man argued that the sauces and drinks had not been touched by the other family and were still safe for consumption.

You cannot place food on a table for someone and then give it to another customer because they leave.

We even watched the other family play with the water and sauces and told this to the man and he was insistant on them being OK for use

• 1 of 5 stars Food