“Pass - walk on by” 1 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Chinese
Midlothian, Virginia
“Pass - walk on by”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013

Have not been there in years and my friend in the neighborhood says there is no reason to go back. Chinese american at been. More like american trying to act like Chinese.

Visited September 2012

“Yummmmmy!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013 via mobile

They are so nice here! The curried chicken was spicy but superb. Great veggie apring rolls and egg drop soup. They are so nice and attentive here! Everyone's meals were so flavorful! My sister comes here a lot and wanted me to try and I'm glad we did!

• Visited August 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Virginia
“Great Service and Spicy food”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

Well if you are looking for spicy dumplings this is the place. Super hot.. The food was average as far as Chinese goes. The folks were very nice and were very accommodating. We just did appetizers for that small plate effect.

• Visited May 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Richmond, Virginia
“If only the service matched the food...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

My wife and I made reservations to enjoy Mandarin Palace with friends to celebrate the Chinese New Year. The food was really good and really fresh but I doubt we will return. The owner came to the table with our receipts after we paid and explained that they were all leaving now to go home and have dinner with their family. Read: Get the heck out of our restaurant. It was not quite 8:30 on a Saturday night. Their posted hours proclaimed that they were open until 10:30. There was no sign nor verbal indication that the evening we were there would be any different. The rudeness surprised all four of us and spoiled what otherwise would have been a delightful meal.

• Visited February 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Richmond, Virginia
“True retro interior with fresh ingredients”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

Mandarin Palace had me curious for a long time with its vintage neon sign above the door in an old shopping center. Frankly, I dismissed it, thinking the sign was probably the most interesting feature on a tired, old restaurant. It was recommended by a friend, however, and I've now enjoyed three superb meals there.
Walking through the doorway took me back to my childhood, with its interior of old-school "Oriental" decor in red, gold & black. I recalled vague memories from early childhood at Ying's in Norfolk with my parents. Old school can be comforting, and gracious, too, with cloth napkins & tablecloths which you will find at Mandarin Palace. There are no exterior windows, so the outside world does not intrude on the fantasy.
Fine, so far, but what about the food? On my first visit I went for traditional, to match the decor: eggroll, and Kung Pao Chicken. All were excellent & freshly prepared. Next visit I tried something off their low-carb menu: steamed chicken & vegetables, with choice of sauce on the side. I asked what sort of vegetables, and the waitress replied that it depended on what looked fresh - the owner refused stuff that wasn't up to standards. I was pleased & surprised with the variety presented which included broccoli, carrots, mushrooms, squash, snow peas, and asparagus. Right on target, and the life wasn't steamed out of anything. They also offer a substantial gluten-free menu!
According to the owner (Christina, very friendly), the Mandarin Palace has been there for 40+ years, but under new ownership only a few. I hope they leave the decor as it is. Where else can you find excellent, fresh food while seated next to red-flocked wallpaper? This place is really a little pearl in an unassuming shell.

• Visited August 2012