“Mixed Review” 3 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations
Richmond, Virginia, United States
“Mixed Review”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2012

We visited Helen's with a Group On. It is a quaint place although very dark in the back. We had to ask for things a few times. Do NOT order the calamari unless you want to feel like it is still swimming on your plate. They did promptly take it back and remove it from our bill. The Caesar salad was delicious and the steak and crab cakes were good. It was a one time adventure for us. I doubt we will return since there are so many other restaurants we enjoy in that area.

• Visited April 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Richmond, VA
“Helen's Never Disappoints!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2012

Helen's is our go-to spot when we need a nice night out, I have lost track of how many times we've been. It pairs a cozy atmosphere with phenomenal dishes and a diverse, affordable wine selection. The shrimp and grits are the best in Richmond! After 10pm the pbr sales pick up and it can get busy, but that's just another reason to love the place.

• Visited February 2011
Richmond, Virginia
“Gem found on Main Street in Richmond!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2011

I happened upon a groupon earlier in the year and was the best deal I have yet to find. Because I have now found one of most favorite restaraunts in Richmond. I have lived in Richmond for almost 20 years and did not know Helen's existed. I had their signature shrimp and grits if you are not a Southerner by birth their shrimp and grits will certainly make you wish you were born in the South!! The variety of flavors cannot be explained unless you personally try this dish.
My husband got their pork which was also to die for. We had their apple pie for dessert. I truly thought if I turned around my Grandmother (God rest her soul) was cooking in their kitchen. It is a 'must try' if you are visiting the Richmond area!!

• Visited November 2011
columbus ohio
“What a great find!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2011

We were only in Richmond for one day and needed a place for dinner. I'm a Groupon subscriber, and when we travel I sign up for cities that I know we will be visiting in the near future. After checking it out online and with Tripadvisor, this one caught my eye, and we were not disappointed in the least! I had their trout, my spouse, the scallops. Done perfectly. My husband and I switched "sides", I had the corn casserole that was to be with his scallops, (no problem with the chef or our waitress) it was unbelievably yummy. We added the chocolate mousse to finish our experience off...it was simply wonderful.
If this place is only ranked 72 out of 600 plus restaurants in Richmond....wow... Richmond must be a foodie heaven. But something tells me it should be placed-ranked much higher than that! We traveled for nine days in and around Richmond-VA Beach, and that meal was by far the best dining experience we had the entire trip. Will definitely return, as we now have family in the Virginia Beach area and it will be on our 'way'
They do breakfast and dinner only (dinner starting at 5:30), have a fairly decent wine selection...food is prepared in an open kitchen location...you can see this chef loves what is is doing. No website that I can find, but I believe you can find the menu on other sites.

• Visited October 2011
Washington, D.C.
“Charming old time diner in the fan with upscale dining”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2011

We have family in Richmond so we drive down from Washington, D.C. quite often to visit. We have eaten at many of the restaurants in Richmond, usually the more expensive places, and continue to return time and again to Helen's in the Fan district. It is located in a very small, old, charming building that appears to have formerly been a diner. The staff is welcoming, well informed, the cocktails well mixed and the menu selections interesting and very well prepared. The food is simply, time and again, delicious, especially the mussels that are served as an appetizer. Everyone at the table is always extremely happy with their meal and the unusual setting. Richmond has improved by leaps and bounds over the years in terms of dining, and Helen's is very much a part of that rejuvenation. I highly recommend it as a restaurant to visit in Richmond.

• Visited October 2011