“Monday is Lobster Night” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
The Hard Shell is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #100 of 1,373 Restaurants in Richmond
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Romance, Doing business, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: 14th St
Description: Opening its doors in 1995 in downtown Richmond, Virginia’s Shockoe Slip, The Hard Shell has created a loyal following and has been repeatedly voted “BEST SEAFOOD” in the city by Style Magazine and Richmond Magazine.The Hard Shell strives to offer the highest quality seafood, steaks and more in a warm, inviting and relaxing atmosphere and to provide outstanding customer service to each and every customer.
USA
“Monday is Lobster Night”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

We were pleasantly surprised to find The Hard Shell in Richmond. The food was good, service was not bad, and the ambiance was nice. If you prefer quiet dining, come early. We got there around 6:30 and it was very pleasant, by the time we left at 8:30 it was very loud.

Visited May 2013

Oxford, NC
“The freshest fish around”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

My wife and I ate lunch and dinner at The Hard Shell. The oysters, crab cakes and scallops at lunch were spectacular and delicious. For dinner, I got the shrimp and grits. It was bland with no hint of sausage or spice; too much butter. Mt wife enjoyed the she crab soup and crab cocktail. The Bloody Mary was top notch.
We will definitely return.

• Visited May 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Front Royal, Virginia
“Best Bloody Mary”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

I started dinner with a drink and it was delicious! The atmosphere was very relaxing and pleasant. (They first tried to seat us in an area that was tooo dark but they pleasantly accomodated us to a better location.) It is in a cute area of the city and appeared to be an area to explore if time allowed. The dinner was excellent and I hope a trip back to Richmond is in my future and we will try this restaurant again!

• Visited April 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Richmond, Virginia
“Great place/Great price”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2013

My husband took me here for our 1yr. Hardshell gifted two glasses of Champagne in celebration and I thought that was very nice. I had the fried oysters and they were very good. My husband had the steak and shrimp on garlic mashed potatoes ( the potatoes were not good) also good. The staff was very nice and served you in a timley manner. The dessert is excellent. This place is not on the top of the best restuarnt in richmond list but it is a great place to go have a nice meal.

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Charleston, West Virginia
“Richmond apparently doesn't eat lunch”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013

But at least this place serves out of their raw menu during lunch time. The food was delicious, the drink was pricey $8, the staff was very helpful when we asked what to do around town. I had shrimp soup and mussels.

So good. The mussels came with bread and tomatoes, never had tomatoes with mussels before.

My boyfriend couldn't eat all of his calamari, I was in heaven. The next time I'm in Richmond I definitely have to go back to the Hard Shell, I'll just stay away from the drinks.

Visited May 2013