“It gave me heartburn.” 2 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Mexican
Moneta, Virginia
“It gave me heartburn.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013 via mobile

I love Mexican food and read good reviews of this restaurant. For m iIt was bad: the chips were busted into 1 inch pieces, the sauce on my enchilada was pasty, the refried beans were glued together, and the service was slow. Woke up with heartburn in the middle of the night.

• Visited April 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

Richmond, Virginia
“My favorite Mexican food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

This was originally on southside Richmond in a train car and one of the first restaurants I visited after moving to Richmond in the late 1970's

Now owned by a Lebanese family, they were smart and changed little except for the drinks.

Now conveniently located in Northside Richmond, it's atmosphere is quirky kitsch at it's Mexican best with strings of skull and pepper lights and flags from colleges across the country.

The food is outstanding; the only place where you get three sauces with your chips (still for free I believe) and lettuce and tomatoes on your enchiladas. Topped with a wonderful molé sauce, they're just the best.

That being said, I only have one friend that agrees but both of us are willing to go anytime!

I'm sorry they converted their second location on Broad St. but the Phoenician is another welcome eclectic addition to the Richmond restaurant scene.

Visited December 2012
Richmond, Virginia, United States
“Great atmosphere and service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

I find that a lot of the Mexiacan restaurants in this area taste about the same. La Casita is different. It's not the same old flavors. Their menus isn't as extensive as some of the other places nearby, but I really like the food. With the exception of the tamales, which were just bland, everything I've tried is really good. It can be a little on the salty side, so drink plenty of cerveza or water! The atmosphere of the place is really the best. It's got christmas lights and all kinds of odd decorations on the walls and it feels very cozy and fun. The service is always fantastic and the white sauce is awesome! This place has been around a long time, so they must be doing something right. Prices are very reasonable and the food is very good!

Visited September 2012
Ruther Glen, Virginia, United States
“Never a bad choice”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2012

IMHO this spot is a step up from typical chain Mexican joints. Not a huge step up but enough that I will bypass other spots to get here. It is small and strangely decorated but it all works. We have been here on and off for at least 20 years and it is showing it's age. I do wish they would spruce things up a bit (chairs, menus, etc.), but none of this affected the food. They did mess up an order (served beef instead of chicken), but I think this was the waitress, she seemed out of her element and they were not all that busy. My wife did not send back the beef enchilada as it would have taken too long. It was tasty, but not chicken :-). We all shared the Chori dip, not bad, but not sure it was worth the $5. There were 5 of us in all, each had something different from their daily specials and there were no complaints. We will be back sometime again.....

• Visited August 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Richmond, Virginia
“Very tasty and reasonable Mexiacan food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2012

Small place in an old neighborhood - but always good. Try the great toco salad.