“Ipanema is like Richmond- its gritty exterior belies a sophisticated heart” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Ipanema Cafe

Cuisines: Vegetarian, Fusion, Vegan
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Dinner
Richmond, VA
“Ipanema is like Richmond- its gritty exterior belies a sophisticated heart”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

For all of you coming to Richmond, Virginia to follow Lincoln's steps from the popular movie, don't make the mistake of passing by Kendra Feather's cafe institution Ipanema.

Ipanema is Feather's first and IMHO her best restaurant. Located on Virginia Commonwealth University's urban campus, the space is a few steps down from the street, and the cozy, basement feel adds to the experience. The waitstaff are always pleasant, (you may even see Kendra serving on a given lunch or dinner shift), and the music and locally produced art on the walls provide a nice ambiance. But the food is the star. Mostly vegetarian, with an occasional fish dish and lots of good brews on tap to add to the full bar, I have NEVER had a bad meal in my 7 years. The tuna melt, gouda sandwich, spinach salad and black beans and rice dishes are standouts for lunch. Their dinner choices are also really really good, and a steal for the price. I believe lots of accidental vegetarians are born here, because people learn that you can have a delicious meal without meat ever touching your lips.

In nice weather, you can sit outside on their small patio in front, and watch the VCU crowds. patios are hard to find in Richmond, so this is a nice addition. However, there's just as good people watching inside.

• Visited November 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

asheville,nc
“Tasty yummy vegetarian good food!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

Had just left a week of being served good fresh clean vegetarian food and wanted to find some while I traveled thru Richmond. Found this place by searching the web. Wonderful meal! I had sweet potato fritters with goat cheese and poached shrimp with turnip potato puree over greens. All of it was gluten free! They offer many items vegan. (I guess some would say serving fish is not vegetarian). If I lived here or close by I would be eating here alot. Excellent meal!

• Visited January 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Richmond, Virginia
“Ipanema: yes, please!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

I just moved to Richmond from DC and haven't had the best luck with vegetarian food down here. But I have to say, Ipanema is definitely the stand-out vegetarian place in Richmond. Honestly, it's better than most anything I had in DC, as far as originality and taste. The only downside is the service, which wasn't terrible, but was pretty....casual. That is the only reason why my rating is "very good" instead of "excellent." I hate reviews of vegetarian food that says "even a carnivore will like it" because I find that really patronizing, but if I was ever to say it, it would be for this place.

• Visited September 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Richmond, Virginia
“Good, but expensive”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

Loved our experience here but the menu was limited and it was really expensive. I like their sister cafe better, Garnetts.

Visited August 2012
Sunset Beach, North Carolina
“Favorite vegetarian spot in Richmond”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

Ipanema is our favorite place to go for vegetarian meals when visiting Richmond. Our son moved to Richmond about 8 years ago. He introduced us to the good food and good service shortly after he checked out the different restaurants in town. We've usually gone there first when we visit. The food selection is always a fun adventure with the only menu on the blackboard at the entrance. They have a good selection of beer on tap and wines. The service is always good. We keep coming back. If you haven't tried it yet, it's highly recommended.